GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Timing Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 05:14 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

May have a coolant valley leak as well... make sure to mention it them, dried coolant on top of skid, (reservoir level lowering?)... there's likely dried coolant on backside of engine as well if it is.
Old 03-30-20, 05:43 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
May have a coolant valley leak as well... make sure to mention it them, dried coolant on top of skid, (reservoir level lowering?)... there's likely dried coolant on backside of engine as well if it is.
yes, reservoir was empty, which is why i went exploring and found the dried coolant on the skid plate. i wasnt able to get a good look at the back of the engine. from what ive read last night, seems like I have a timing cover leak in the front and a coolant valley plate leak in the rear. fun times but thank god i'm still under powertrain warranty
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 05:57 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

the dealer will love you... not much for the techs to do these days so your ride should get plenty of attention and the most experienced tech working on it. (when there isn't a lot of work in the shop, the most experienced techs get first dibs typically)
leave it for a week and take a loaner.
Old 03-30-20, 09:06 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

As far as technicians are concerned, there is always at least the 'one tech' at every dealership. Tell the service writer you want the most meticulous tech working on your vehicle. Having worked at a dealership for a few years, I've seen a few horror stories yet have also seen the 'one tech' work wonders. When I take my LS430 to the local indy Lexus place, I always ask for the 'one tech' because my standards are very high with that car.
SilverFire (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 09:09 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Romanova
As far as technicians are concerned, there is always at least the 'one tech' at every dealership. Tell the service writer you want the most meticulous tech working on your vehicle. Having worked at a dealership for a few years, I've seen a few horror stories yet have also seen the 'one tech' work wonders. When I take my LS430 to the local indy Lexus place, I always ask for the 'one tech' because my standards are very high with that car.
Thanks for the advice. The dealer picked it up about an hour ago. I've spoken to the service writer but they havent done the inspection yet. I'll be sure to let him know my preference.

Service department must not be too busy - they sent one of the (younger) uniformed techs to pick up the car. In the past, the people they've sent were not technicians (maybe lot attendants?)
SilverFire (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 12:44 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Just spoke to the service adviser. The water pump is leaking and will be replaced as part of the factory powertrain warranty. The oil leak is suspected to be a timing cover leak BUT they are telling me that new corporate guidance on this issue is to clean it up and see how bad it is actually leaking before authorizing a warranty fix. He said that because this is not an "active leak" and only "moderate seepage" that they will not perform the fix immediately and will document it for subsequent warranty purposes. If it is seeping again during my next oil change, they will authorize the repair. I wasn't happy with the outcome but now that it has been documented during the warranty period, I shouldn't have an issue having it repaired in the future. Thoughts?
SilverFire (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 01:40 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Seems fair on the oil leak/seapage and good deal on the water pump.
It's not the end of the world (in reality I would bet a lot of GX's on the road today have this leak but very few ever get it fixed) as long as the engine oil level is correct and you don't have to add oil between changes.
They may be hedging their bets and making sure it just hasn't been sloppy refilling during oil changes... if one doesn't use a funnel, it'd be pretty easy to get motor oil on the air compressor or in this general area and have it crust up over time....

That being said, there is no such thing as an designing an engine to leak/ seap on purpose. The oil is suppose to be on the inside by design. Either way you should know within the next oil change (before your warranty expires). Drive it like hell between now and then.... haha
Old 03-30-20, 02:33 PM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
Just spoke to the service adviser. The water pump is leaking and will be replaced as part of the factory powertrain warranty. The oil leak is suspected to be a timing cover leak BUT they are telling me that new corporate guidance on this issue is to clean it up and see how bad it is actually leaking before authorizing a warranty fix. He said that because this is not an "active leak" and only "moderate seepage" that they will not perform the fix immediately and will document it for subsequent warranty purposes. If it is seeping again during my next oil change, they will authorize the repair. I wasn't happy with the outcome but now that it has been documented during the warranty period, I shouldn't have an issue having it repaired in the future. Thoughts?

Well JonGX what I love to do with companies who drone on and on about quality is use their Mission Statements against them when I am not satisfied with how things are handled. So lets post put Lexus's mission statement and pick it apart for your benefit:

What is the Lexus mission statement?

THE LEXUS COVENANT
Lexus competes in the luxury
automotive industry, the most
prestigious race in the world.

Lexus' history and experience, gained
over more than two decades,
has culminated in the creation of our
automobiles, the finest ever built.

Lexus will win the race because:

Lexus will do it right from the start.
Lexus will have the finest dealer network
in the industry.
Lexus will treat each customer as we would
a guest in our home.

If you think you can't, you won't.
If you think you can, you will.
We can, we will

1. So right off the get go I would say to Lexus as your mission statement states "Lexus will do it right from the start." Well them cleaning up area and allowing the issues to continue IS NOT doing THE JOB DONE RIGHT from the start, they are sticking a band aid on the issue to save them a few $$ but in the end could have a detrimental impact on the PROPER function of your A/C unit, which in turn could cause it to burn out or not function at its optimal. These are luxury cars in a VERY competitive market, and even Lexus recognizes they are small niche that has a very tiny corner in said market. We don't pay Luxury brand prices for repairs, parts, regular maintenance just to have them come up short when a fix is needed.They get paid for the warranty work, Lexus not only will cover the part but labour as well. So Fix it!

2. "Lexus' history and experience, gained over more than two decades, has culminated in the creation of our automobiles, the finest ever built." If there cars are truly the finest ever build, well then there is an issue it should be repaired, if they so painstakingly pay attention to every detail. Well you don't wanna go home and have to constantly worry about if that A/C unit is functioning properly, or where the leak is, or if it may catch fire because it gets to hot, most fluids in a car are flammable at certain temps and I bet you dollars to donuts those pules and belts get some hot. SO you could try to push it as a safety concern.

3. Off the Lexus website in the Our Story section: "The evolution of Lexus is marked by innumerable milestones, including vehicles that launched new categories, technologies that altered the luxury landscape, and an approach to serving our Guests that revolutionized customer care. From then to now, we’ve been pouring the same time and passion into every vehicle we build and every Guest we serve. Here’s just a few markers." Well revolutionary care would be not nickle and dimming you over something they can physically see, and know. If they're truly so concerned about customer care then they should replace the issue or fix it, not leave a slow trickle because at the moment it's more of an inconvenience to them. You paid the $$ for the car, the warranty well its time they pony up there end and replace the paid. Do it "The right way first, so that you as a customer are not inconvienced."

4. The last thing I always like to say to any dealership that gives me issues is: "While the salesman sells you your first car, every sale after that is based on customer service you receive at the service department. It costs a company up to 5 TIMES more money to attract new customer then it does to retain you as a customer." Then point out how YOU can easily go down the road and for the same price range and get a Audi. VW, BMW, Benz, even a Jaguar SUV comes in around the same price range for there luxury brands. So either they fix your car right, or when it comes time to look at a new car you are considering exploring your options of a very competitive and robust market.

Lexus doesn't need to know if you already plan to go back. Heck if you're a costumer who has bought a few off them then use that against them "as a long standing customer blah blah." But as arrogant as any of this sounds they are a luxury brand customer who get a bulk of their sales from return customers. If they don't want you to start to look elsewhere with in there market and price range then they will fix your car, other wise I am sure Volkswagen Group who owns a few of the companies I listed would LOVE to have you as a new customer.

That is my thoughts on how to handle if you are not satisfied with the out come. Some of the dealerships no matter how great they are will play off that friendly relationships to push something off. Honda is having a horrible time with there breaks on some of there Civics and the only I know about it is because the guy who runs there Mechanics is my neighbour and we drink together all the time, like I am taking burning out a set of breaks with in a year under 30k.

So don't let the friendly back and forth give them an edge so that you accept their basically shrugging you off. Guarantees are made when you buy these cars, on their websites so make them live up to it. Other wise you come out the end unsatisfied and they already have been paid, They are in the customer service industry, they don't deserve to be abused, but sometimes they need a reminder that you can do else where. You push just hard enough and they will replace it because they will tell Lexus the issue is out of hand and leaking to much.

And if it comes to it in the end call up Lexus USA's HQ number and express all this and your lack of satisfaction. It's your car, you have to live with it.

Wow that was a lot to type, I hope you're a good reader LOL ^_^

Last edited by SilverFire; 03-30-20 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-30-20, 04:13 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

It didn't sound like they refused to fix it, just want to make sure it is actually leaking/seaping before they do is all. (If you've ever changed your own oil, you know how easy it could be to miss the fill spout without using a funnel and put oil directly on this area of the engine.) If its seeping or leaking, they'll fix it, what's the issue?... have a little patience or be a little reasonable... If the ac compressor is cant be cleaned and is functionally compromised because of it, they'll replace that too cause its obviously been affected by the cause.
SilverFire (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 09:20 AM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
It didn't sound like they refused to fix it, just want to make sure it is actually leaking/seaping before they do is all. (If you've ever changed your own oil, you know how easy it could be to miss the fill spout without using a funnel and put oil directly on this area of the engine.) If its seeping or leaking, they'll fix it, what's the issue?... have a little patience or be a little reasonable... If the ac compressor is cant be cleaned and is functionally compromised because of it, they'll replace that too cause its obviously been affected by the cause.
Very true, my crazy long reply was more to answer the "I wasn't happy with the outcome but now that it has been documented during the warranty period, I shouldn't have an issue having it repaired in the future. Thoughts?"

I always play the ok well if in the future they try and give him the run around or try and make him pay for say the part but they cover the labour. I am sorry if I came off sounding overly aggressive, that was not my intent on this thread. I was more thinking to give him ammo if they do try and muck about. While I am sure many places would replace it with out question when they do find the exact issue, I always plan for the "Well what if they don't.' I had a heck of a time dealing with GMC and my 2500 Denali HD and to get repairs to the weather stripping around the sunroof that leaked when it rained.

So yes by all means Nuclearn patience! I agree with you, and as I said in my other post people don't deserve to be abused, lets face it the customer service industry is one of the WORST for people screaming in your face and acting foolish and having no remorse or regret for what they say. So what I posted when said calmly can be more effective then running in screaming and going crazy, people stop listening when you yell at them. But I agree whole heartedly patience and see if they can find the issue and fix it.

But if not, well then you walk in and calmly say close to some of the things I say.

Sorry if I was unclear as to what my motives for giving JonGX the ammo for the "just in case pocket."
nuclearn8 (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 09:54 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

thanks, everyone, for the balance of feedback on how to approach the situation.

I spoke to the service adviser this morning in more detail. They were very supportive and eager to perform the warranty work. However, they received push back from lexus corporate on authorizing the warranty work. He mentioned that there was a service bulletin released in February about this issue, which now advises dealerships to clean the area and monitor for additional leakage. If the issue returns (continues to leak), then they can get approval for the full repair. I've taken quite a few pictures of the leak and they also documented the issue. The service adviser seemed to think there would be no issue having the repair approved if the leak returned. Needless to say, I will be keeping a close eye on it throughout the next few months. In any event, it has been documented as having occurred during the warranty period, so I think I have a strong case for warranty repair even if the issue returns sometime after my warranty expires in September. I'll post some info on the service bulletin when the car is delivered back to me this afternoon.
SilverFire (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 09:56 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Being that is like a 16 hour book job and around $3,000, I can see them wanting to thoroughly examine things first. As long as it is documented, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Based on your pictures, I'm pretty confident it will manifest itself again quickly and then you'll be getting the repair done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
nuclearn8 (03-31-20), SilverFire (03-31-20)
Old 04-01-20, 04:10 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to add my 2 cents here - here's the official service bulletin from Lexus with the new guidelines for oil leaks and repair.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0002-20.pdf (485.1 KB, 444 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Mocchan:
Acrad (04-01-20), Mojlnir (04-01-20), nuclearn8 (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 05:38 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mocchan
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here - here's the official service bulletin from Lexus with the new guidelines for oil leaks and repair.
thanks for adding that. That’s the service bulletin they provided to me with the repair order
Mocchan (04-01-20)
Old 04-05-20, 07:52 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

well, an unfortunate update here.

when I got the GX back last week with the new water pump, i parked it in the garage and there it has sat since the 30th. well, i moved it out of the garage today and noticed a 2" puddle of coolant under the truck. took it for a 15min drive around the neighborhood, and parked it when i got home. i climbed under and noticed that the entire lower skid plate was wet with coolant and it was dripping onto the ground. reservoir was near empty and I had to put about a pint of coolant in the radiator. not good. looked around with a flashlight and now it seems like I have a coolant leak OVER the new waterpump with coolant dripping down over the pump. doesnt look like its coming from the upper hose, but not sure where else it would be coming from. back to the dealer tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Oil Leak