GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 08:06 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

There is lots comparo's running around. I would have preferred to buy the LX over the GX. But its my wife's DD so she won out. It's probably the better choice for what we do. I think the Land Cruiser and LX will hold value better. They are just more popular. Also the quirky looks of the gX, especially since they uggliezedI it with that grill. Most used buyers seem to look for 4 runners instead. Not sure why it doesn't have that following. Could be looks. But when I suggest it to used buyers, they are totally surprised to find its a 4 runner with more room and more power. They never considered it when shopping.
I think coming from the LX you will find its not much different. My wife thought it much more knimble, I found it so close to the same, as to not be of consideration. the LX will be a better tow vehicle because of its size, but for what you describe, the gX should be ok. Fit and finish will be what you expect. I think comfort wise, they are about equal. That surprised me. I road in the back of both, and really didn't think the LX was much different. Since the third row folds into the floor of the gX and you can no longer "easily" remove the third row seats in the LX, they have similar room. The rear seat in the GX doesn't fold flat, never thought that might be an issue, but is. also Ours has the capt chairs in the back. therefore there is a big gap between the second row seats that things disappear into. Also since they move, there is a gap between the seat back and the cargo floor. Stuff disappears into that gap. Typical of more truck like vehicles, it tends to ride on the rear axle. And there isn't much suspension travel, so it tends to bottom back there easily. The air suspension levels the load, but it trys to also keep a soft ride. So over sharp speed bumps, or culverts, I find it bottoms even though it is riding level. The 4.6 ltr engine is plenty powerful, but you will have to put your foot in it to get that power. It makes its power at a higher RPM, and the powerband is much sharper thant eh 5.7 ltr, or even the 4.7 ltr. I think gas mileage will be close enough to not be much consideration. One thing I noticed is, the person sitting next to you seems much farther away in the LX, and they center console seems much wider. I think if I were putting 3 adults in the back on a regular basis, the LX would accommodate that better. However I road in the 3rd row of the GX and it wasn't too bad for short distances. I never got in the third row of the LX. The LX has independent suspension at all 4 corners, the gX has a live axle in the rear. That effects ride and handleing. Personally, I am a fan of live axles, but independent is better for most people.
Old 11-20-17, 08:14 AM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should mention that:

1. LX would be my preferred choice, but they have priced them beyond what I'm willing to spend.
2. I would consider a loaded up 4 Runner, but thought the GX's V8 would be more responsive. Still, that 4 Runner has a LOT going for it and I have, by no means, ruled it out.

I agree on the curb appeal of GX...that front end is hideous.
I didn't think the GX was a pretty version of the 4Runner...thought it was a glamourized Toyota Prada...not sold in US. More like cousins than brothers.
Old 11-20-17, 09:45 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

I'm 6'3, 210... love driving my wife's GX. Very comfortable and with all the adjustments, it's easy to dial in the right seating position. We still haven't taken it on a long trip yet but I am confident that it would be very comfortable.
Old 11-20-17, 10:29 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

We just returned from our first road trip in our 2015 GX (we've owned it for about six months). The trip was about 340 miles each way, so ~6 hours in each direction.

I was thoroughly impressed with the vehicle. Very quiet and quite stable even at speeds up to 90mph. A large portion of the trip had a posted speed of 75...rock solid, quiet and still plenty of power to pass slower traffic.

Prior to purchasing the GX, we also test drove a comparatively priced LX. It was a little older and had more miles. My wife liked the GX better and I didn't notice any difference in the ride and/or how quiet each was.

If we had to do it again, we'd still opt for the GX (although maybe a different color, lol).
Old 11-20-17, 11:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
The LX has independent suspension at all 4 corners, the gX has a live axle in the rear. That effects ride and handleing. Personally, I am a fan of live axles, but independent is better for most people.
Looks like it is still live axle on rear of LC/LX

Last edited by Acrad; 10-15-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:36 AM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Looks like it is still live axle on rear of LC/LX

Not sure what this means to me?
Old 11-20-17, 11:40 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just that both the GX and LX appear to have the same core suspension pieces on the rear. There are differences though with the adjustable suspension setups and things like KDSS which IIRC are only on the GX and LC. I can't state how they compare today... the last LC I drove was an '85 LC.
Old 11-20-17, 11:58 AM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

OK, thanks. While we're on suspension...the Luxury GX460 model features "Adaptive Variable Suspension". What is this, what does it do and is it worth having? Again, ALL of my driving is on pavement, non-mountainous country driving and interstates. Most challenging terrain is my 1/4 mile gravel driveway.

Last edited by bobframe; 11-20-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 02:21 PM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobframe
OK, thanks. While we're on suspension...the Luxury GX460 model features "Adaptive Variable Suspension". What is this, what does it do and is it worth having? Again, ALL of my driving is on pavement, non-mountainous country driving and interstates. Most challenging terrain is my 1/4 mile gravel driveway.
There's a thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...spensions.html
Old 11-20-17, 03:24 PM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Greysmoke
Thanks Greysmoke. Seems like very advanced technology that helps at the margins. It (alone) does not help me justify the Luxury vs Premium trim package.
Old 11-20-17, 03:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If you tow the load leveling on the rear will be of benefit. I also put my suspension in sport mode quite often but always when towing.
Old 11-20-17, 04:26 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Yep Your right, the LX and Land Cruiser have the semi floating rear live axle. Sorry, I thought they had gone independent in the rear. The GX and Prada are almost the same. The rest of the world gets some different stuff that would not be allowed here. They all share much of the same technology. I think you would have to look real hard to find real differences in the frames and axles,suspension etc of the Tocoma,4 Runner,Prada, and GX. Very close relations, probably more Kissing cousins than second cousins. The 4 runner has the 4.0 v-6 in it, the GX has the 4.6 v-8, but the GX out weighs the 4 Runner. So the performance isn't as staggering as one would imagine. But the GX has another gear, and lower geared differential, but larger tires. Where I feel the real difference is in low end power. The 4.6 makes its torque I think about 1000 rpm lower the that 4.0. That makes for much better drivability. At sea level, probably not as much an issue. But up here, its very noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (05-20-18)
Old 11-20-17, 04:58 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Probably not important if it is a floating axle or not. I have not worked on the Toyota axle. The ones I have worked on, the non-floating axle, the hub that holds the wheel is part of the driven axle. That is....its is part of what goes all the way into the spider gears etc. All one piece. Floating axles on the other hand, the driving part of the shaft, it separate from the hub that holds the wheel. Hope that's close. Probably a picture might be worth a thousand words in this case.
Old 11-21-17, 12:19 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

There were some many things I liked about theGX460 when I bought it. Then I found out it was basically a Prado 150 in a tux. Go on Youtube and look at videos of both a GX460 and the Prado 150. These are one of the best off road vehicles made. Didn't buy it for that, but if I wanted to go drive mountain backroads, I could do it. In total comfort.
Old 12-30-17, 09:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/tra...ef41795a1.html

https://www.tflcar.com/2014/03/2014-...w-face-review/

2013 Lexus GX 460 review: Protect the Queen for $16K less

Last edited by Acrad; 08-19-20 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: GX460 Reviews