GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 02:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I know I`m gonna anger some with my opinion, but I think the GX falls harder then anything else in the market in terms of obsolesce/outdated in the current state of the vehicles. I think this is clearly evident in Lexus dropping 4k cash on an SUV when its clearly an SUV market. Its finish is Luxury from a decade ago, fake unfinished metal trim, superglossy wood inlays. Seats which tend to flatten out after some use. Navigation thats outdated, single rear view camera, and a the options packs only available at the higher end of the spectrum, no LSS standard, no automatic braking etc.

Having said that, its the only vehicle that Lexus has not touched with a refresh of any sorts, and if in 2019, Lexus decides to finally give it the attention it deserves, this thing will be class leading, and no longer discount less then 2.5k new. Mechanicals are tank quality and I dont think Lexus will do much in terms of engine (unless they feel dropping in the TTV6 is feasible on the old frame. A GX with the next gen interior will guarantee sales for at least half a decade or more.
Old 12-30-17, 03:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I appreciate all opinions... I didn't buy mine new but for what I needed kinda glad it isn't that cutting edge on tech side. I purchased it for comfort, high reliability and capability. It will be easy to keep on the road for decades if one chooses as nothing proprietary to the model other than maybe a grille or tail light :-)
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (12-21-19)
Old 12-30-17, 04:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I appreciate all opinions... I didn't buy mine new but for what I needed kinda glad it isn't that cutting edge on tech side. I purchased it for comfort, high reliability and capability. It will be easy to keep on the road for decades if one chooses as nothing proprietary to the model other than maybe a grille or tail light :-)
You came out ahead, and honestly the GXs value grows with age. As the hi-fi vehicles which have it beat now in the tech space and other areas I mentioned its reliability takes the lead, and you see these things commanding abnormally good prices with less "oh crap I got screwed" posts.

Take of instance, used 15+ GXs with low miles but prices are near (about 5K if you look and compare a new remaining base 17).
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-30-17)
Old 01-01-18, 05:23 AM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently drove a friends '15 GX and was very favorably impressed with everything about the GX except for the engine/transmission. Pulling out of my driveway there is a long uphill stretch of road. I found the shift point from 2nd to 3rd way too low (still pulling uphill) and the engine felt like it had zero torque to continue the climb. By pressing the accelerator pedal and raising rpm's the engine would then down shift and pull OK. I hate when vehicles have to keep downshifting to pull up a hill...feels like on/off/on/off/on/off. My car dealer buddy says that these shift points are purposefully set low to aid with gas mileage stats and wondered if the GX had a "sport mode" (other than the suspension settings). I didn't have an answer.

For this reason, I'm now starting to reconsider my choice of GX and going back to an LX or Land Cruiser.
Old 01-01-18, 07:06 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by bobframe
I recently drove a friends '15 GX and was very favorably impressed with everything about the GX except for the engine/transmission. Pulling out of my driveway there is a long uphill stretch of road. I found the shift point from 2nd to 3rd way too low (still pulling uphill) and the engine felt like it had zero torque to continue the climb. By pressing the accelerator pedal and raising rpm's the engine would then down shift and pull OK. I hate when vehicles have to keep downshifting to pull up a hill...feels like on/off/on/off/on/off. My car dealer buddy says that these shift points are purposefully set low to aid with gas mileage stats and wondered if the GX had a "sport mode" (other than the suspension settings). I didn't have an answer.

For this reason, I'm now starting to reconsider my choice of GX and going back to an LX or Land Cruiser.
For long uphill and preventing Ai-Shift to hunting for the suitable gear, you can also simply move the shift to "S" mode and hold the gear there when you need more torque.
Old 01-01-18, 08:48 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
For long uphill and preventing Ai-Shift to hunting for the suitable gear, you can also simply move the shift to "S" mode and hold the gear there when you need more torque.
this is exactly what I would do. The LX570 is a class above the GX460 in both size, power, and price.
Old 01-02-18, 02:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

At the moment going into transmission sport mode by shifting is the easiest way. Maps for power if anything would only be available if they refresh like in the Prado 18+
Old 01-02-18, 05:42 PM
bobframe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
this is exactly what I would do. The LX570 is a class above the GX460 in both size, power, and price.
Actually I thought the GX was acceptable from a size standpoint. And its HP rating is higher than my '06 LX470. I thought with more HP and less weight than LX the performance would be comparable, if not slightly better...Better power/weight ratio?? But the shift point is what killed it...just up shifts to a point where its was down on the torque curve. Maybe I need to drive one again and give it some more time to grow on me...I really want to like it.

No question the GX price is a class apart from the LX. That is killing me...will have to try to find a low mileage used LX/LC with a year or two of warranty left. Its exactly what I did with my '06 LX. Which, BTW, is still a magnificent vehicle...runs perfectly, tight as a drum, body and interior fantastic. Remind me why I'm thinking about selling again???
Old 01-03-18, 11:48 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Actually I thought the GX was acceptable from a size standpoint. And its HP rating is higher than my '06 LX470. I thought with more HP and less weight than LX the performance would be comparable, if not slightly better...Better power/weight ratio?? But the shift point is what killed it...just up shifts to a point where its was down on the torque curve. Maybe I need to drive one again and give it some more time to grow on me...I really want to like it.

No question the GX price is a class apart from the LX. That is killing me...will have to try to find a low mileage used LX/LC with a year or two of warranty left. Its exactly what I did with my '06 LX. Which, BTW, is still a magnificent vehicle...runs perfectly, tight as a drum, body and interior fantastic. Remind me why I'm thinking about selling again???
I was looking to get an '06+ LX470 but couldn't justify pay $20k for one with 150k+ miles. I then looked at '13-'15 LX570 but those are still in the $50k range with reasonable miles. I finally settled on a new RX350 AWD (for my wife) and I take the '15 GX460.
Old 01-04-18, 08:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

bobframe,

Your LX 470 is and ENTIRELY different animal from a GX 460. You, of course, will have to drive the GX for yourself to determine what you think of it.

That fact stated, you asked for opinions. Mine, which I hope doesn't offend anyone here but is honestly based upon my experience with driving pretty much every LEXUS model made over the past 20 years, is that there are three Lexus vehicles that feel like they are in a different class than all the others; the LS (have owned a couple of them), the LX (either the 100 series or the 200 series, but there's a big difference between the two), and the GX 470. To me, after about 5 different lengthy test drives hoping to warm up to them in case I want to replace my GX 470 someday, the GX 460 feels more like a Nissan than a Lexus. Again, no offense intended toward anyone who loves the 460, but this is my opinion. And I'll also say that I find most Toyota (and Lexus) products to be losing more and more of their once-special "Toyota-ness" with each new platform introduced since the 1990s and early 2000s. They seem to be moving more generic in their finish and feel.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-04-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 04:16 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
bobframe,

Your LX 470 is and ENTIRELY different animal from a GX 460. You, of course, will have to drive the GX for yourself to determine what you think of it.

That fact stated, you asked for opinions. Mine, which I hope doesn't offend anyone here but is honestly based upon my experience with driving pretty much every LEXUS model made over the past 20 years, is that there are three Lexus vehicles that feel like they are in a different class than all the others; the LS (have owned a couple of them), the LX (either the 100 series or the 200 series, but there's a big difference between the two), and the GX 470. To me, after about 5 different lengthy test drives hoping to warm up to them in case I want to replace my GX 470 someday, the GX 460 feels more like a Nissan than a Lexus. Again, no offense intended toward anyone who loves the 460, but this is my opinion. And I'll also say that I find most Toyota (and Lexus) products to be losing more and more of their once-special "Toyota-ness" with each new platform introduced since the 1990s and early 2000s. They seem to be moving more generic in their finish and feel.

What makes it feel like a Nissan?
Old 01-04-18, 04:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I respect the opinion but curious as well....granted my old '07 G35x is the budget Infiniti...although fully loaded (even has radar cruise for the day) but interior trim is noticeably subpar to my GX. I have not a single trim rattle in my GX. Maybe if they had just used some aluminum or other alloy for the metal colored plastics? I did shop the GX 470 in the day but never drove one. I should test drive one to gain at least my own person subjective opinion about them. Nicer leather? Trim fit? Curious...
Old 03-10-18, 09:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Not a GX 460 review but interesting to see comparison to a '18 Prado in Europe with the "Executive" top trim.

Old 05-22-18, 10:32 AM
CaptnBraap
3rd Gear

Default 25,000 mile overall review 2016 GX 460

Solid SUV overall. Have had two problems: 1. Broken seat latch that allows one side of rear seats to go flat and 2. Defective battery. Both items fixed under warranty.

Pros: Stable, versatile, good a/c heat, great backup cam, comfortable, seats 8, can tow a house, good road trips, good storage space.

Cons: head unit suffers from bad glare, eats gas like a pig, too many 4WD gadgets/buttons, sounds like an Abrams tank upon start-up, tedious to hand wash, no rear seat USB or lighter outlet, rear door opens sideways with no auto feature, Bluetooth connections sometimes not great.

This is a second car for me and coming from a Mercedes GLE350 (close in price) I find the Lexus less refined and a little boring. The paint, plastics, carpet and trim are objectively inferior from an aesthetic standpoint and sometimes functionally too. I hope Toyota realizes that this truck is a mom wagon and does away with all the 4WD sillyness and figures out a way to shed 500 lbs, which it could. I read years ago the original McClaren F1 had a CD player commissioned by Kenwood that they sent back and requested half the weight... it was done.
Old 05-22-18, 10:43 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

why would you want to get rid of 4wd gadgets? most of us here drive GX mainly because of the off road capabilities.

Quick Reply: GX460 Reviews