GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 09:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxxr
any guesses if the one on Taobao or this one on Aliexpress might work for a 2012 model with folding mirrors? I see that these all show for 2014+ models
It will work with 2010+ models EXCEPT base model without power folding mirror.
Old 05-27-18, 06:34 AM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you!
Old 05-27-18, 02:20 PM
regis2
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Black16
Ah ok, thanks for the response.

I have an inquiry in with one offered on alibaba, one on DHGate, and one on ebay to confirm their functionality and compatibility so if I see any positive progress with those I will update.

Edit: Purchased this on AliExpress since the seller said the hazard flashing can be disable which I requested.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINS...829358180.html
Did the AliExpress model you linked work to fold and unfold the mirrors?
Old 05-27-18, 05:08 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by regis2

Did the AliExpress model you linked work to fold and unfold the mirrors?
i probably won’t receive for another week or two at the earliest. Not sure if anyone else here has one already who can answer that though
The following users liked this post:
regis2 (05-28-18)
Old 06-08-18, 05:33 AM
Black16
Driver

Received the module from AliExpress and gave the folding mirror function a quick try this morning. It seems to work ok, have to leave the folding mirror button on the out/extend position, lock the doors, then mirrors fold. Hit unlock and they unfold. After I hit lock I watched it for a few seconds and mirrors went to try cycling themselves out and in again so it made me a little weary about possibly draining the battery or burning out the mirror motor.
Going to give it a better try when i have time this weekend but for now I have it unplugged. Still a little nervous about bricking the ECU unless Im being paranoid?
Old 06-08-18, 06:18 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received the module from AliExpress and gave the folding mirror function a quick try this morning. It seems to work ok, have to leave the folding mirror button on the out/extend position, lock the doors, then mirrors fold. Hit unlock and they unfold. After I hit lock I watched it for a few seconds and mirrors went to try cycling themselves out and in again so it made me a little weary about possibly draining the battery or burning out the mirror motor.
Going to give it a better try when i have time this weekend but for now I have it unplugged. Still a little nervous about bricking the ECU unless Im being paranoid?
One thing that you do need to watch far is if the module has been programed properly. I remembered one member had reported here (maybe a link from Arad), some of those module had constantly try to rolling up the windows even when the windows already fully closed, which makes clicking sound like the windows motor keeps trying and "hitting" the limit relay, a not so healthy cycle. If your mirror is doing the something, and try keeping trying to fold and unfold, will certainly not good, needs to be avoided. From my testing with the one from Taobao, the mirror folding function should be pretty straight forward, the proper behavior should be as following:

With mirror switch on the dash set at "Open" position:
- Lock the car with either key fob or touch sensor, mirror folds.
- Unlock the car with key fob or touch sensor, mirror unfolds.
- If you lock the door with lock switch on the door switch panel, then close the door, mirror stays in open position.

With mirror switch on the dash set at "Close position":
- Lock the car will have no effect on mirror since it is already folded.
- Unlock the car, mirror will also unfold. However, as soon as you turned on ignition, mirror will fold in again since the switch is set to Close position.

Just some references for you to verify the functionality.

In addition, If you hold the unlock button on key fob, all the windows and sunroof will open. When you lock the car with key fob or touch sensor, any open windows EXCEPT sunroof will also close automatically. On some modules, when any door opens, emergency flashing will blink 15 times (or when the door closed) if ignition is off. If ignition is on, the blink will not stop until all the doors are closed. I never have an conclusive answer on which one has or has not such function, from the best of my knowledge and observation, seems the ones specifically made for GX400 does not have the flashing function and the ones made for GX460 does.

Last edited by hzhao; 06-08-18 at 06:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Black16 (06-08-18), mattau (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 06:46 AM
Black16
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
One thing that you do need to watch far is if the module has been programed properly. I remembered one member had reported here (maybe a link from Arad), some of those module had constantly try to rolling up the windows even when the windows already fully closed, which makes clicking sound like the windows motor keeps trying and "hitting" the limit relay, a not so healthy cycle. If your mirror is doing the something, and try keeping trying to fold and unfold, will certainly not good, needs to be avoided. From my testing with the one from Taobao, the mirror folding function should be pretty straight forward, the proper behavior should be as following:

With mirror switch on the dash set at "Open" position:
- Lock the car with either key fob or touch sensor, mirror folds.
- Unlock the car with key fob or touch sensor, mirror unfolds.
- If you lock the door with lock switch on the door switch panel, then close the door, mirror stays in open position.

With mirror switch on the dash set at "Close position":
- Lock the car will have no effect on mirror since it is already folded.
- Unlock the car, mirror will also unfold. However, as soon as you turned on ignition, mirror will fold in again since the switch is set to Close position.

Just some references for you to verify the functionality.

In addition, If you hold the unlock button on key fob, all the windows and sunroof will open. When you lock the car with key fob or touch sensor, any open windows EXCEPT sunroof will also close automatically. On some modules, when any door opens, emergency flashing will blink 15 times (or when the door closed) if ignition is off. If ignition is on, the blink will not stop until all the doors are closed. I never have an conclusive answer on which one has or has not such function, from the best of my knowledge and observation, seems the ones specifically made for GX400 does not have the flashing function and the ones made for GX460 does.
Those functionalities seem correct so far. Wonder if its tied into the function of the lights flashing when locking/unlocking the since hitting lock button on the panel and closing has no effect.

I did request they remove that flashing light functionality. I'll give it a full test of everything you mentioned tomorrow. I just want to keep an eye on the mirror cycling after locking issue to see if it repeats again once or several times.
Old 06-08-18, 07:12 AM
hzhao
Racer

Those functionalities seem correct so far. Wonder if its tied into the function of the lights flashing when locking/unlocking the since hitting lock button on the panel and closing has no effect.

I did request they remove that flashing light functionality. I'll give it a full test of everything you mentioned tomorrow. I just want to keep an eye on the mirror cycling after locking issue to see if it repeats again once or several times.
Locking/unlocking flashing and beeps are set through the GX setup menu, where you can enable and disable either or both. They are not part of auto folding module's function.
Old 06-08-18, 01:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Yeah... I had that test module that was doing all kinds of weird things. I promptly unplugged it.
Old 06-13-18, 06:02 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I just received this module from Aliexpress: WINSGO Car OBD Window Closer Open+ Side Mirror Fold Spread LHD Left Hand Drive For Lexus GX 2014+ and works perfectly. Specified I did not want it to flash while locking/unlocking when I ordered.

Took a quick video for anyone interested (ignore the food truck generator in the back ground):

Last edited by Otherone; 06-14-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 06:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I've actually gotten used to my hazard lights flashing at this point. Recently a guy at gas station asked me if that was a standard option to make the lights flash. He apparently wanted the option on his rig.

Originally Posted by Otherone
I just received this module from Aliexpress: WINSGO Car OBD Window Closer Open+ Side Mirror Fold Spread LHD Left Hand Drive For Lexus GX 2014+ and works perfectly. Specified I did not want it to flash while locking/unlocking when I ordered.
Old 06-13-18, 06:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I've actually gotten used to my hazard lights flashing at this point. Recently a guy at gas station asked me if that was a standard option to make the lights flash. He apparently wanted the option on his rig.
When I asked one of my coworker to contact the seller in China and asked if there's a way to turn it off, one of the question he asked was, why do you want to do that? LOL...BTW, he sent me a bunch of steps to try and none of them worked haha.
Old 06-14-18, 05:11 AM
regis2
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the information. I ordered one and left a note stating that I only wanted the fold/unfold mirror function. I don't mind the close and open of the windows (the GX can do that already) but I definitely don't want the flashing of the lights...
Old 06-14-18, 12:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Does it also roll the windows up when you lock the car?

Took a quick video for anyone interested (ignore the food truck generator in the back ground): https://youtu.be/yiLsQ2UeXYQ
Old 06-15-18, 01:21 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Does it also roll the windows up when you lock the car?
Yes windows roll up when locked too.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-15-18)

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors