GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 05:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I know most are not a fan but I've grown to appreciate my blinker option. For my use it is a great safety feature if I have pull over and quickly check something in regards to my trailer or around vehicle. I know there are many scenarios where someone may not want the attention though. I do get reminders from passengers who think I have left my blinkers on and earlier in the year the Discount Tire guy was spending an extra amount of time in vehicle while getting mileage trying to turn them off.
Old 11-09-18, 05:53 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ndbethy
I did order mine through your link and got one with "GX" letters on it.... Then I tried to plug it in.... guess what... It didn't work for me with the folding/unfolding outside mirror instead it will roll all four windows up if they're down... What should I do with it? Is yours plug n play one? How did you set it up?
Originally Posted by Zahid
I got mine from the same seller and works nicely with folding mirror. What year and trim is your GX? It will not fold mirrors for 14+ base models.
Originally Posted by jojotheduc
Got the Alibaba model the other day (asked the seller to program not to trigger flashers). Works well, very pleased.
how long you guys received the product after you had ordered?
Old 11-11-18, 08:37 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Mine took about 3 weeks to arrive. I didn't ask for anything specific like flashers off, windows, etc. Mine does not flash, but does close the mirrors when locking from inside. As long as I wait for the other power down options to complete, the inside door lock causes the mirrors to fold in.
Old 11-16-18, 01:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I had a tense moment today and trying to see what caused the scenario.

I was at gas station with keys, wallet and phone inside car in the center cupholders. As I am done filling my GX I notice the mirrors folding in and the car auto locked itself.

After a friendly gal let me make a call to my wife...I started looking around the parking lot and found the perfect stick. I had left the sunroof in the tilt state and literally the most perfect stick.. almost like fate was there. However my attempts at hitting the power door lock buttons kept coming up short. Almost was able to pick my keys up and they fell but FOB fell perfectly flat I was able to trigger the unlock button with the stick through the tilted sunroof. I'm having a few beers tonight...that was just luck with the stick.

I noticed about week back or so I had overridden the auto folding mirrors one time and then after that I would notice them folded in garage and car would either be locked or this last time this morning it was locked. I had thought I had mistakenly locked it.

When I got home and went to get my mail I noticed the car auto folded the mirrors again and didn't lock and just about at the internal accessory power cutoff point is what I am thinking caused it to trigger. I pulled the OBD module and plugged it back in and normal state seems to occur.

Lesson to me anyway... if you notice odd folding mirror behavior unplug/replug the mirror folding module and also keep my keys on me at all times. I'll report back if symptoms occur again.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 04:28 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I had a tense moment today and trying to see what caused the scenario.

I was at gas station with keys, wallet and phone inside car in the center cupholders. As I am done filling my GX I notice the mirrors folding in and the car auto locked itself.

After a friendly gal let me make a call to my wife...I started looking around the parking lot and found the perfect stick. I had left the sunroof in the tilt state and literally the most perfect stick.. almost like fate was there. However my attempts at hitting the power door lock buttons kept coming up short. Almost was able to pick my keys up and they fell but FOB fell perfectly flat I was able to trigger the unlock button with the stick through the tilted sunroof. I'm having a few beers tonight...that was just luck with the stick.

I noticed about week back or so I had overridden the auto folding mirrors one time and then after that I would notice them folded in garage and car would either be locked or this last time this morning it was locked. I had thought I had mistakenly locked it.

When I got home and went to get my mail I noticed the car auto folded the mirrors again and didn't lock and just about at the internal accessory power cutoff point is what I am thinking caused it to trigger. I pulled the OBD module and plugged it back in and normal state seems to occur.

Lesson to me anyway... if you notice odd folding mirror behavior unplug/replug the mirror folding module and also keep my keys on me at all times. I'll report back if symptoms occur again.
Glad to know that luck was on your side! I haven't experiences any abnormal behaviors so far, the manual override mirror holding seems works for me as expected. But you have made a good point. Just as any electronic device now days, there will be times when it lost its logic, a simple reset (often by power cycle) will bring everything back to normal. Thanks for sharing!
Acrad (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 04:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It has me thinking differently about not keeping a key on me and the Smart Card Key mod just went up the list by significant margin.
303mtnGX (06-04-21)
Old 11-17-18, 05:12 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

It has me thinking differently about not keeping a key on me and the Smart Card Key mod just went up the list by significant margin.
Yup. Since I got the SmartKey, now I am getting so used to it. Since wallet is always with me. Just a daily convenience in times needs unlock the car to get something without having to look for keys first. I have both GX & LX SmartKeys with me all the time, has been a time and effort saver!
303mtnGX (06-04-21)
Old 11-27-18, 10:28 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Just got the one from alibaba and it works! When we were looking to purchase earlier in the year, it was either the MDX or the GX. The feature I like most about the MDX over the GX was the folding mirrors, now we have it.
Old 11-28-18, 10:14 AM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like this WINSGO Car OBD from aliexpress may be similar product, Window Closer Open+ Side Mirror Fold Spread LHD Left Hand Drive For Lexus GX 2014+

While it says it's intended for Lexus GX 2014+ can't imagine it wouldn't work on '10-13' or would it
Old 11-28-18, 03:53 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by konc3pt
Looks like this WINSGO Car OBD from aliexpress may be similar product, Window Closer Open+ Side Mirror Fold Spread LHD Left Hand Drive For Lexus GX 2014+

While it says it's intended for Lexus GX 2014+ can't imagine it wouldn't work on '10-13' or would it
The one i got was a WINSGO for 2014+ and it works on my 2012.
Old 11-28-18, 04:07 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for verifying John00
Old 12-07-18, 10:26 AM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

So, I bought this one, plugged it in and it all works EXCEPT the mirror fold. It just doesn't do anything to the mirrors
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-for-to...72.m2749.l2649

When I asked the seller, he said "well, it's for Prado Landcruiser" which I think our GXs are. So, maybe I read it wrong? Return it? there's no "Trick" to these right? just plug it in?

thanks
Old 12-07-18, 10:42 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'd return it. I tried one of those out as well and it didn't work on mine. It did some weird things on mine I posted about earlier in thread.

Originally Posted by lionsfan54
So, I bought this one, plugged it in and it all works EXCEPT the mirror fold. It just doesn't do anything to the mirrors
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-for-to...72.m2749.l2649

When I asked the seller, he said "well, it's for Prado Landcruiser" which I think our GXs are. So, maybe I read it wrong? Return it? there's no "Trick" to these right? just plug it in?

thanks
lionsfan54 (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 10:43 AM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd return it. I tried one of those out as well and it didn't work on mine. It did some weird things on mine I posted about earlier in thread.
Were you the one that had it try to lock your doors a ton of times?
Old 12-07-18, 11:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yeah.... that sounds about right.

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors