GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 10:24 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just received a message from the seller of the WINSGO on Aliexpress saying the window functions cannot be disabled - just an FYI for anyone else looking to purchase one of these.
Old 04-20-19, 06:24 PM
Funk101
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Accidentally discovered (new?) feature on WINSGO

This is new to me. Not sure if anybody has used this feature but just in case:

When I quickly click the key fob “unlock” button four times the doors unlock, all four windows simultaneously roll down, the moonroof stays closed, the mirrors fold out. It’s four quick clicks without holding the button down.

If I wait a few seconds (or a minute) without opening the doors, the windows stay open, doors lock (and I guess the hatch as well, I haven’t verified), and the mirrors stay open.

Then if I click the “lock” button on the key fob the doors stay locked, the windows roll up, the mirrors fold in.

(This is on a 2017)
Old 08-02-19, 08:13 AM
Richard776
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Originally Posted by Otherone
I just received this module from Aliexpress: WINSGO Car OBD Window Closer Open+ Side Mirror Fold Spread LHD Left Hand Drive For Lexus GX 2014+ and works perfectly. Specified I did not want it to flash while locking/unlocking when I ordered.

Took a quick video for anyone interested (ignore the food truck generator in the back ground): https://youtu.be/yiLsQ2UeXYQ
So I bought this and plugged into the OBO is there something else I need to do? It's not working
Old 08-02-19, 08:14 AM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard776
So I bought this and plugged into the OBO is there something else I need to do? It's not working

make sure the mirror switch is not centered, set it to left or right adjust mode

^^incorrect

Last edited by John00; 08-02-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 09:34 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
make sure the mirror switch is not centered, set it to left or right adjust mode
That switch should have nothing to do with it. Mine is always in the center. The module is plug and play, there is nothing else need to set.
Old 08-02-19, 09:42 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by hzhao
That switch should have nothing to do with it. Mine is always in the center. The module is plug and play, there is nothing else need to set.
OK I though on mine it did, maybe i'm confusing another car? I'll double check later and report what I find.
Old 08-02-19, 12:42 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
OK I though on mine it did, maybe i'm confusing another car? I'll double check later and report what I find.
The mirror control switch in the center position will only disable the reverse tilted down feature.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (08-02-19)
Old 08-02-19, 01:26 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Might be defective. Mine just was a plug and play. Nothing more done needed.

what hzhao stated - mirror switch has nothing to do with the module working or not working.
Old 08-02-19, 01:29 PM
John00
Racer

I was incorrect, that switch is not needed.

Are you locking the doors?
Old 08-02-19, 06:31 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Just as an aside, having the windows close via remote is not allowed in the US unless the remote has extremely short range. Accordingly, this mod is in violation of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS)118

For most people, this is a technicality but if an accident does occur then there could be significant legal issues and there is a chance (albeit minuscule) that the car may fail inspection if the station actually checks.
Old 08-02-19, 08:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Fairly subjective distance... "(e.g., by use of a limited-range remote control),"

Is that within sight distance? I only operate mine within 5-10 feet of vehicle.
Old 08-02-19, 08:14 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Fairly subjective distance... "(e.g., by use of a limited-range remote control),"

Is that within sight distance? I only operate mine within 5-10 feet of vehicle.
That is a great question and the regulation has the answer - no more than 6 meters which is about 20 feet - the theory being that you should be able to see if a child or dog has a body part hanging out of the window. The Lexus remote has a far greater distance.

While I wasn't involved in that portion of SAFETEA-LU (and certainly not for the name), I reviewed it for National Security implications (part of the normal rulemaking process).
Old 08-02-19, 10:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Unfortunate this regulation hasn't been updated for the anti-pinch/jam protection functionality built into most modern power window installations that auto reverse on obstruction.

460 FSM states---> "Uses Hall-IC in regulator motor with ECU to detect window position and jamming."

Old 08-03-19, 08:52 PM
Ralo14
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems cool in the videos but I would rather the mirrors fold in when the vehicle is turned off like on my LS430.
Old 08-04-19, 04:44 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Unfortunate this regulation hasn't been updated for the anti-pinch/jam protection functionality built into most modern power window installations that auto reverse on obstruction.

460 FSM states---> "Uses Hall-IC in regulator motor with ECU to detect window position and jamming."

Actually it does.The regulation requires in S5:

S5. Automatic reversal systems. A power-operated window, partition, or roof panel system that is capable of closing or of being closed under any circumstances other than those specified in S4 shall meet the requirements of S5.1, S5.2, and, if applicable, S5.3.

S5.1. While closing, the power-operated window, partition, or roof panel shall stop and reverse direction either before contacting a test rod with properties described in S8.2 or S8.3, or before exerting a squeezing force of 100 newtons (N) or more on a semi-rigid cylindrical test rod with the properties described in S8.1, when such test rod is placed through the window, partition, or roof panel opening at any location in the manner described in the applicable test under S7.

S5.2. Upon reversal, the power-operated window, partition, or roof panel system must open to one of the following positions, at the manufacturer's option:

(a) A position that is at least as open as the position at the time closing was initiated;

(b) A position that is not less than 125 millimeters (mm) more open than the position at the time the window reversed direction; or

(c) A position that permits a semi-rigid cylindrical rod that is 200 mm in diameter to be placed through the opening at the same location as the rod described in S7.1 or S7.2(b).

S5.3. If a vehicle uses proximity detection by infrared reflection to stop and reverse a power-operated window, partition, or roof panel, the infrared source shall project infrared light at a wavelength of not less than 850 nm and not more than 1050 nm. The system shall meet the requirements in S5.1 and S5.2 in all ambient light conditions from total darkness to 64,500 lux (6,000 foot candles) incandescent light intensity.

S4 ( referenced in S5) requires:

S4. Operating requirements. Except as provided in S5, power operated window, partition, or roof panel systems may be closed only in the following circumstances:

(a) When the key that controls activation of the vehicle's engine is in the “ON”, “START”, or “ACCESSORY” position;

(b) By muscular force unassisted by vehicle supplied power;

(c) Upon continuous activation by a locking system on the exterior of the vehicle;

(d) Upon continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel from a distance of more than 6 meters from the vehicle;

(e) During the interval between the time the locking device which controls the activation of the vehicle's engine is turned off and the opening of either of a two-door vehicle's doors or, in the case of a vehicle with more than two doors, the opening of either of its front doors;

(f) If the window, partition, or roof panel is in a static position before starting to close and in that position creates an opening so small that a 4 mm diameter semi-rigid cylindrical rod cannot be placed through the opening at any location around its edge in the manner described in S5(b); or

(g) Upon continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel if the device and the vehicle are separated by an opaque surface and provided that the remote actuation device shall be incapable of closing the power window, partition or roof panel from a distance of more than 11 meters from the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (08-04-19)

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors