GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Heated steering wheel - retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 07:16 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Wife's car has one but when she is late coming home in the cold with her car parked in the open parking lot all day, wheel heat takes a while to warm up(it's not instant)
She says wheel is bone chilling cold for her arthritic fingers. I got her a pair of good quality heated gloves with Lithium battery. Push the button, it heats right up. No more problem.
So IMO, instead spending $$$ to retrofit the wheel good pair of heated gloves may be an option. Hers will last 3 hours on high setting. Battery can be charged over night. There are ones
one can plug into the cigarette lighter but then driver has to deal with wires which may tangle up. Oh, well speaking of luxury our big car has contour adjusting and massage seats.
Honestly if one is to add this heated steering wheel for close or more than $1,000, at this point in the used market, it might be better to look into trading it for a luxury model. After buying my previous used vehicle's, it's almost worth it to get the trim with all the bells and whistles since the depreciation is basically passed after 3-4 years
Old 03-04-19, 08:13 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GX763
Honestly if one is to add this heated steering wheel for close or more than $1,000, at this point in the used market, it might be better to look into trading it for a luxury model. After buying my previous used vehicle's, it's almost worth it to get the trim with all the bells and whistles since the depreciation is basically passed after 3-4 years
Retrofitting also has some risk factor. The job can mess up something else in the process. IMO. like you say trade the car for what you need/want.
Old 03-10-19, 03:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Most likely a misprint but 2016 brochure shows an individual option of heated steering wheel on the Premium trim.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...X-Brochure.pdf
Old 03-11-19, 06:37 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Still jealous about y’all with the heated steering wheel. One day I’ll find a decently priced wheel and try to replace the non heated one.
The following users liked this post:
ROSCOGX470 (02-10-20)
Old 03-12-19, 02:21 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I love my heated wheel, use it almost everyday. But I wouldn't pay a grand for it, nor would I go through the hassle of swapping a wheel for it.
Old 05-27-19, 02:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just some general FYI from FSM

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Mojlnir (05-27-19), sinistar (05-29-19)
Old 09-20-19, 08:01 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

I got a heated steering wheel since it had the radar cruise control switches on it for 200 dollars from eBay. Now that the radar cruise project is done I've been thinking about adding the heated steering wheel.

The expensive part that I don't have is the spiral cable made for the heated steering wheel. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...omputer,,84307

After that all I need is the switch. Hmm...
The following 3 users liked this post by clearmysix:
Acrad (09-21-19), ltsr (09-27-19), ObsidianBl (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 08:09 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by clearmysix
I got a heated steering wheel since it had the radar cruise control switches on it for 200 dollars from eBay. Now that the radar cruise project is done I've been thinking about adding the heated steering wheel.

The expensive part that I don't have is the spiral cable made for the heated steering wheel. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...omputer,,84307

After that all I need is the switch. Hmm...
Dooooooo it!

Do you know if that wheel was from a wreck with the airbag blown? How do steering wheels hold up after the airbags go off? I see some online but haven’t bought it due to that concern.
Old 09-26-19, 07:49 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Dooooooo it!

Do you know if that wheel was from a wreck with the airbag blown? How do steering wheels hold up after the airbags go off? I see some online but haven’t bought it due to that concern.
Yes I am doing it. Got the switch for 65, got the spiral cable for 300. Just waiting for it to get here.

As for the steering wheel, I have no idea whether or not it was in an accident. The likelihood is that it was in an accident. However, once you hold one of these steering wheels you will notice that they are really strong. I think they are very unlikely to be damaged in a car accident unless they get crushed. It looks completely normal to me. Will let you know when I complete the project!
ltsr (09-27-19)
Old 09-26-19, 07:54 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by clearmysix
Yes I am doing it. Got the switch for 65, got the spiral cable for 300. Just waiting for it to get here.

As for the steering wheel, I have no idea whether or not it was in an accident. The likelihood is that it was in an accident. However, once you hold one of these steering wheels you will notice that they are really strong. I think they are very unlikely to be damaged in a car accident unless they get crushed. It looks completely normal to me. Will let you know when I complete the project!
Did your steering wheel come with the heated control module?
Old 09-28-19, 11:24 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Used my steering wheel heater this morning...

My local forecast is calling for 4-9 inches of snow between today and tomorrow
Old 09-28-19, 11:30 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Used my steering wheel heater this morning...

My local forecast is calling for 4-9 inches of snow between today and tomorrow
Just rub it in, why don't ya.... In all seriousness, good luck with that freak snowstorm up there!
Acrad (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 11:36 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thanks! I had not even planned on getting my snowblower and snowmobiles ready for another month.. or even winter tires on the vehicles for that matter. It does look like a short event though.

I have no doubt clearmysix will get this mod working. Seems relatively simple with no concerns about used parts that won't work from compatibility standpoint. One just has to luck out on finding good deals on the used parts.
Old 09-28-19, 11:54 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Thanks! I had not even planned on getting my snowblower and snowmobiles ready for another month.. or even winter tires on the vehicles for that matter. It does look like a short event though.

I have no doubt clearmysix will get this mod working. Seems relatively simple with no concerns about used parts that won't work from compatibility standpoint. One just has to luck out on finding good deals on the used parts.
I've been trying to get a hold of some decently priced parts for this mod. The spiral cable unit is probably going to be difficult to come by based on my search. @clearmysix seemed to find one on ebay recently... I've seen the heated wheels go from 150 up to 1000.... The actual switch is hard to come by from a parts source, might have to get that new from the dealer.
Old 09-28-19, 12:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Carmarka is probably the cheapest new for that spiral cable part

https://carmarka.com/en/toyota-cable...sy-84307-60030
ObsidianBl (09-28-19)

Quick Reply: Heated steering wheel - retrofit?