GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

High Beam LED replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 08:12 AM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks John, was down with flu for a week. I'll get this kit ordered and report back.
Old 03-25-19, 08:18 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hello! New GX460 owner

Posted in the intro thread. But, I do have a question about they headlights.

I just drove it at night last night. And, I have to say the headlights are a bit of a let down. Is this just me? We have a 2018 Odyssey Touring with LEDs that are much brighter and go further out. And, the vehicle we traded in, 04 4Runner Limited, I had upgraded the low beams with VLEDs and they were also brighter and reached out further (even better than the Honda). I've already placed an order on VLEDs for all the interior, running board and reverse lights. I'll do the turn signals eventually. But, I was surprised that they don't offer a low beam replacement. Has anyone replaced theirs?

We bought it outside Chicago. Was nice driving it home to Iowa. Easily the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Also, the quietest. And, the Odysseys pretty darn quiet. Looks like I've got a little reading to do on here.

Last edited by Rowan611; 03-25-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 11:02 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

You'll need to check for proper aim. 2" drop at 24'. The manual depicts the need.
Old 03-25-19, 11:09 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCDavis
You'll need to check for proper aim. 2" drop at 24'. The manual depicts the need.
Ok thanks. I’ll read the manual. Was thinking of having them checked by the Lexus dealer in Des Moines. I’m not sure I want to mess with aiming headlights.
Old 03-25-19, 11:44 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowan611

Ok thanks. I’ll read the manual. Was thinking of having them checked by the Lexus dealer in Des Moines. I’m not sure I want to mess with aiming headlights.
If you can turn a screwdriver, and use a measuring tape, then you're 100% capable of aiming the lights. The dealer likely won't do it for free...and it's VERY easy.
Old 03-25-19, 11:51 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCDavis
If you can turn a screwdriver, and use a measuring tape, then you're 100% capable of aiming the lights. The dealer likely won't do it for free...and it's VERY easy.
LOL. Yeah, I can do those things. I didn’t figure it would be free. But, it will be done right. And, while I can turn a screw driver and use a measuring tape, I’m not 100% certain that means I can aim headlights correctly. I’m waiting to hear from
my local body shop. They aim headlights. If it’s reasonable, I’ll have them do it. I’ve got a lot of other things going on. Be nice to not have to worry about this.

I appreciate your advice

edit: heard from my local body shop. Charge $31 per 30 minutes. Not too bad.

Last edited by Rowan611; 03-25-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 05:09 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 2014 and also found the headlights to be too low. After removing the 13 black plastic clips and vanity cover over the radiator, it took all of 2 minutes to aim the headlights higher.

I have ave no complaints about the stock brightness of the LEDs
Old 03-25-19, 05:34 PM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonGX
I have a 2014 and also found the headlights to be too low. After removing the 13 black plastic clips and vanity cover over the radiator, it took all of 2 minutes to aim the headlights higher.

Do you have a picture of yours at night?
Old 03-26-19, 11:17 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Posted in the intro thread. But, I do have a question about they headlights.

I just drove it at night last night. And, I have to say the headlights are a bit of a let down. Is this just me? We have a 2018 Odyssey Touring with LEDs that are much brighter and go further out. And, the vehicle we traded in, 04 4Runner Limited, I had upgraded the low beams with VLEDs and they were also brighter and reached out further (even better than the Honda). I've already placed an order on VLEDs for all the interior, running board and reverse lights. I'll do the turn signals eventually. But, I was surprised that they don't offer a low beam replacement. Has anyone replaced theirs?

We bought it outside Chicago. Was nice driving it home to Iowa. Easily the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Also, the quietest. And, the Odysseys pretty darn quiet. Looks like I've got a little reading to do on here.
There are aftermarket HIDs that will be brighter. Most LEDs used in projectors are at a different angle than the GX. I don't think you will find an LED that can match HID in brightness in this application. SNGL makes one promising option but I don't know if anyones tried it.

Originally Posted by JonGX

Are you sure you needed to remove clips? Doesn't the cover have holes for a screwdriver? Mine does.
Old 03-26-19, 02:14 PM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
There are aftermarket HIDs that will be brighter. Most LEDs used in projectors are at a different angle than the GX. I don't think you will find an LED that can match HID in brightness in this application. SNGL makes one promising option but I don't know if anyones tried it.
This was also my finding when I replaced the halogens in our old Outback with LEDs. I had to aim them up and ended up putting in the highest lumen bulb the VLEDS sold. That helped. But, yeah the projector housing really messes with LEDs. I just assumed that Lexus accounted for that. I guess not.

Has anyone tried Diode Dynamics?

https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-be...xus-gx460.html

I’m also looking at what SNGL offers.

Last edited by Rowan611; 03-26-19 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 03:16 PM
John00
Racer

https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-kits/chart/

for a comparison of HIDs. remember that the GX uses a sideways lens face while whats in the test uses a tip lens face.

this SNGL seems to attempt to overcome this with this design:

whats above might work ok. nothing with LEDs on opposite sides of the heat pipe will work that well for the GX compared to HIDs

I still plan to make an offroad GX custom LED bulb but was sidetracked with the fogs work.
Old 03-26-19, 03:17 PM
John00
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html

although that thread is titled high beams, it does cover a lot on other lighting for the GX
Old 03-26-19, 03:24 PM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
remember that the GX uses a sideways lens face
Thanks for the link. I’ll look through that later. But, can you help me understand this statement better? Are you saying that LED bulbs with diodes on both sides of the bulb won’t work well in the GX housing?
Old 03-27-19, 06:30 PM
John00
Racer

Thanks for the link. I’ll look through that later. But, can you help me understand this statement better? Are you saying that LED bulbs with diodes on both sides of the bulb won’t work well in the GX housing?
correct, so far no one has said that those types work well, while many have said they do not.
Rowan611 (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 06:54 PM
John00
Racer

many projector types have the small point of the HID bulb facing the lens. the bulbfacts.com test setup has one like this I believe.

heres what the GX has for the HID. the long part of the bulb faces the lens. the left side is the front of the housing. the screw that holds the retaining wire is towards the front. theres all kinds of shield in the way. the HID is powerful enough to bounce around and still come out of the gap with some light. havent seen an LED that powerful yet.

so a bulb like below might not work well in either. remember that a projector lens has lower transmission efficiency than a clear front on a reflector housing.

the only way for an LED to win in the GX HID area is if theres either a new technology or a custom bulb.
theres a certain amount of heat with the LEDs that needs moved, and more light means more heat.
this is why LEDs are pretty much maxed at this time to about 2A or so.

liquid cooled could work.a huge red copper heat pipe with an enormous heatsink and large fans might also work.
sometime this year i might just do that with these:

Rowan611 (03-27-19)

Quick Reply: High Beam LED replacement...