GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

High Beam LED replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 09:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Those are far too bright for a turn signal, IMO it is irresponsible to use them.
Old 11-24-21, 09:35 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

this LED outputs light equal to mid range HID when used with the solenoid projectors. im not a ddm tuning fan at all but these do work well
asin B08TBGFVT1

Old 11-24-21, 12:28 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

"Super Bright" LED's ... most are cheap no-name "Made in China" products sold on slick web sites for obscene profit margins over the cost of production.

The bottom line ... it is CRITICAL that the light source is properly located relative to the headlight reflector and lens assembly. LED's by design project light differently than a Halogen filament ... so the design of the replacement assembly (focal location of the LED's) and the light projection from the LED's is critical for controlled light projection down the road.

This is why I only use Sylvania / OSRAM for an LED replacement to the original Halogen bulbs ... they have been in the automotive lighting business approaching a century ... so have the (German) engineering behind their products.

Any no-name company can mount super-bright LED's onto what appears to be a "Bulb Replacement" ... so spend your money wisely.
The following 3 users liked this post by ASE:
IanB2 (11-30-21), IanG (11-24-21), SteveInCal (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 01:16 PM
John00
Racer

the only way to know for sure is to test. my tests didnt show that these are overly bright. theres many reasons this can be. my tests do show that these work very well.

Old 11-24-21, 04:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by John00
the only way to know for sure is to test. my tests didnt show that these are overly bright. theres many reasons this can be. my tests do show that these work very well.
It's not about being overly bright ... it's about maintaining the light projection pattern as designed by the headlight reflector / lens assembly. Placement of the light source focal location ... and the emitting characteristics of the light source ... is paramount to maintaining the quality of the Lexus designed light pattern on the road.

"Bright" does not equal improved illumination of the road. Any hack manufacturer can mount "bright" LED's to a replacement carrier assembly. It takes significant experience and engineering resources to properly design an LED replacement for Halogen headlights.

Last edited by ASE; 11-24-21 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 04:48 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

https://auxito.com/collections/auxit...ml_High%20Beam

I used the auxito high beam. I feel its perfect replacement. working great.
it has 1:1 same beam pattern with the factory Halogen bulb. same focal length and position like the factory bulb.
Old 11-24-21, 05:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Good design the LEDs are mounted on a substrate as thin as possible. I do wish these vendors would stop giving wildly exaggerated output claims though, not a chance each bulb puts out a sustained 6000 lumens probably about 60% of that which is still excellent.
Old 11-24-21, 05:26 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
It's not about being overly bright ... it's about maintaining the light projection pattern as designed by the headlight reflector / lens assembly. Placement of the light source focal location ... and the emitting characteristics of the light source ... is paramount to maintaining the quality of the Lexus designed light pattern on the road.

"Bright" does not equal improved illumination of the road. Any hack manufacturer can mount "bright" LED's to a replacement carrier assembly. It takes significant experience and engineering resources to properly design an LED replacement for Halogen headlights.
the comment was for the person who said they were too bright, in their opinion. I then gave mine.
also, the lexus delivered light pattern is very lacking, even the newer LED headlights. this is one lighting quality that shouldnt be maintained, it should be improved.

Old 11-24-21, 05:49 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by John00
the comment was for the person who said they were too bright, in their opinion. I then gave mine.
also, the lexus delivered light pattern is very lacking, even the newer LED headlights. this is one lighting quality that shouldnt be maintained, it should be improved.
A bulb of any brightness will not change the light pattern characteristics of any headlight.
Old 11-24-21, 06:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ASE
A bulb of any brightness will not change the light pattern characteristics of any headlight.
True but it can make an iffy pattern more obvious this has happened to me. Still was fine but certainly showed the limitation of the reflector bowl the halogen was so dim I barely noticed.
Old 11-25-21, 02:14 PM
John00
Racer

the substrate is usually less important than the heatpipe for aftermarkets.
OEMs are usually about the lens.
not trying to get into much headlight design detail in this thread, just saying that there are options for more light.
the bulb can change the pattern, maybe was meant to be said that brightness by itself doesnt impact the light path out or internal reflection paths. but it does in the end impact what is seen (good and bad) by both the driver and others.

side note we should see more vehicles with multiple emitters and adaptive matrix controls.

Old 11-28-21, 10:29 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsfan54
Those guys seem to be VERY talented! Their site has some really nice work on it. Too bad nothing for GX460 that I could find. Also wonder if they even ship international
I had my 13s headlights given this treatment by a local headlight builder. Replaced the factory awful halogens with HID projector beams and they are unreal. They are actually both high and low beams factory high is really just overpowered by the HID. They are aimed right so they do not blind folks, they just make driving on dark roads much nicer, great for the neighborhood too.

This is the guy’s website, he also does mail order but I took my GX to him. He makes unusual looking stuff but I just wanted an OEM look.
https://www.sinisterretrowerkz.com/#/

Low beam

Aftermarket HID projectors

High beam with the HID bulbs

The following users liked this post:
John00 (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 10:18 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
I had my 13s headlights given this treatment by a local headlight builder. Replaced the factory awful halogens with HID projector beams and they are unreal. They are actually both high and low beams factory high is really just overpowered by the HID. They are aimed right so they do not blind folks, they just make driving on dark roads much nicer, great for the neighborhood too.

This is the guy’s website, he also does mail order but I took my GX to him. He makes unusual looking stuff but I just wanted an OEM look.
https://www.sinisterretrowerkz.com/#/

Low beam

Aftermarket HID projectors

High beam with the HID bulbs
Does the DLR still work or was that eliminated. I had a conversation with a different headlight retrofit company and I was looking to make the high beam just the high beam and add an LED strip inside the housing similar to the 14+ years and his price($600 plus 2 way shipping)was fair but the 2-3 week downtime was a deal breaker for me.

Old 11-30-21, 11:14 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

DRLs work but I turned them off. I just don’t like the look of them so I either have my headlights on or I do not. Used the touchscreen to turn them off.
Old 11-30-21, 12:32 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Does the DLR still work or was that eliminated. I had a conversation with a different headlight retrofit company and I was looking to make the high beam just the high beam and add an LED strip inside the housing similar to the 14+ years and his price($600 plus 2 way shipping)was fair but the 2-3 week downtime was a deal breaker for me.
Sorry, missed the second part of your question. For $600 with the LED strips is a good price. I have a 2021 update kit coming for both my 13 and 17, will part with these 13’s once that work is done. I paid $550 including installation. I had the same type of headlights on my last F150, went with the switchback LED strips. The looked great but I really prefer the OEM look so I skipped them with this build.

Quick Reply: High Beam LED replacement...