Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 12:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I went with the 5K

Actually showed up today to my surprise. Very easy install

• I haven't tested at night yet but they are "really" bright

• No way would DRL work with these.... flicker is pretty intense. I figured they would and just did it as a test

• Seem too bright for daylight use even if I bought resistors. Again.... just a test. I plan to just use as high beams

• Seem far...far brighter than stock HIDs.

Overall very happy so far. The fans really don't make much noise and you wouldn't hear with car on anyways.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/l...hts/micro.html

Looks like they have adjustable index so bulb can be rotated. I'll have to play with this option to see if generates more lighting. You can see how that is done in video.

Last edited by Acrad; 10-20-18 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 02:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Should I adjust the bulb so LEDs are horizontal?

••• I am interested in the most light for wide open country driving

They are currently directing LEDs at approximately:

Driver side: 10 & 4 o'clock

Passenger side: 2 & 8 o'clock

EDIT: I sent an inquiry off to VLED support as well.

Last edited by Acrad; 10-20-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 06:58 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I am going to adjust today. VLED says ----> "Best position will be at 9:00-3:00. If you can just slightly back them off until they reach 9:00-3:00."
Old 10-26-18, 05:42 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Word of warning if you choose the VLEDs I purchased above for a 10-13. They are directional but only two adjustment slots. This really doesn't help much with putting LED at VLED recommended positioning. I have to keep only slightly engaged in enclosure. Seems secure enough it won't fall out but I am going to add in something to offer up some additional support for piece-of-mind. I need to test whether I want extra long reaching beam of recommended position or more scattered for country driving with bulb fully engaged in headlight enclosure.
Old 10-27-18, 11:46 AM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Word of warning if you choose the VLEDs I purchased above for a 10-13. They are directional but only two adjustment slots. This really doesn't help much with putting LED at VLED recommended positioning. I have to keep only slightly engaged in enclosure. Seems secure enough it won't fall out but I am going to add in something to offer up some additional support for piece-of-mind. I need to test whether I want extra long reaching beam of recommended position or more scattered for country driving with bulb fully engaged in headlight enclosure.
I actually bought the same VLEDS Micro EVO led highbeam bulb. Excellent quality and great customer service! Unfortunately, I had switch to a low profile model because it wouldn’t clear the plastic dust cap on my 2018. I found have the LED set at a less optimal angle doesn’t affect highbeam much. Its odd that the locking angle on right headlight housing is different from left. But if you must have them aligned perfectly, you can get LED bulbs on Amazon that can rotate freely.

Last edited by psun786; 10-27-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 12:15 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After reading through all this I think I'm just going to buy the silver star halogen replacements for my low beams. Right now my low beam goes out and I wack it and it comes back on. Almost like a Ford. The LED's would be nice but what a hassle! Is there not just a full kit that works. Includes the Lo, High and Fog lights? I've got a 2011.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-29-18, 01:32 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What type of bulb is used in the small section above the halogen? Are they hard to get to/replace, looks like they are deep in there ? I'd like replace those along with fog bulbs. For for fog light bulbs I ordered these from reading on here think they should work and ordered these for running boards.

Old 11-29-18, 01:35 PM
brian4l
Rookie

From my 2011 Manual. It's your turn signal.

High Beam LED replacement...-vz9ehsq.jpg
The following users liked this post:
konc3pt (02-20-19)
Old 11-29-18, 01:42 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brian4l
From my 2011 Manual. It's your turn signal.

Thanks for info, it looks like it's part of turn signal however it seems it functions as daytime running lights or something, I could be wrong just my observation.
Old 11-29-18, 01:45 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by konc3pt
Thanks for info, it looks like it's part of turn signal however it seems it functions as daytime running lights or something, I could be wrong just my observation.
The DRL on our years use the high beam at low voltage. Toyota has been doing it this way for over a decade. At least my 2001 4runner was like it.
konc3pt (12-09-18)
Old 11-29-18, 04:24 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by brian4l
After reading through all this I think I'm just going to buy the silver star halogen replacements for my low beams. Right now my low beam goes out and I wack it and it comes back on. Almost like a Ford. The LED's would be nice but what a hassle! Is there not just a full kit that works. Includes the Lo, High and Fog lights? I've got a 2011..
Silverstars burn out very fast. There are complete kits, but they aren't optimal for what you want.
Do you want scatter to light up all over, or powerful hotspots to get max light on the road? This is set by rotation, mm thickness at LED, and number of sides emitting.
Do you want the fogs to only be low, or be somewhat annoying so cars get out of your way? Endcap vs. non endcap is a major player in this, along with reflector or projector.

Last edited by John00; 11-29-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 04:26 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by konc3pt
What type of bulb is used in the small section above the halogen? Are they hard to get to/replace, looks like they are deep in there ? I'd like replace those along with fog bulbs. For for fog light bulbs I ordered these from reading on here think they should work and ordered these for running boards.

Thats the front marker and parking light all in one. 194, 168, any of those variants. Many LED versions aren't meant for continuous duty and will melt stuff.
konc3pt (02-20-19)
Old 11-29-18, 04:31 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I went with the 5K

Actually showed up today to my surprise. Very easy install

• I haven't tested at night yet but they are "really" bright

• No way would DRL work with these.... flicker is pretty intense. I figured they would and just did it as a test

• Seem too bright for daylight use even if I bought resistors. Again.... just a test. I plan to just use as high beams
The GX DRL circuit switches the highs from parallel to series, this cuts the voltage in half and causes the flicker. The so called CANBUS and anti-flicker resistors won't fix this if the LED driver needs more than 6V to operate properly.

At full voltage you would have DRL same as the highs.
I recommend a switchback in the turn signal then disable the DRL, using the turn signnal white AND the fogs as the DRLs.
Old 11-29-18, 04:44 PM
John00
Racer

LEDs are cooler due to less overall dissipation, but not for the junction temp. They melt themselves, and at times let out the smoke onto the inside of a housing.
Old 11-29-18, 04:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

^^^ Sorry editing complications

That is a small bulb, I don't think ANY led in there would melt anything. I have LEDs there and they run cooler than halogen.

Quick Reply: High Beam LED replacement...