GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 08:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel

Our dealership replaced the batteries in our electronic keys at our annual service under warranty ... or maybe for customer goodwill. Whatever, it is better than being locked out of our vehicle because the electronic key battery died!
SaniDel

Why would you be locked out if the electronic key battery died ??

Do you not have a key ??

~ Cap
Old 12-03-10, 07:50 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why should there be any buttons? It seems the buttons on the side-swing rear door should be eliminated so the entire vehicle relies on the electronic keys to lock and unlock by touching the door handles. The handle on the side-swing rear door should be touch sensitive just like the other doors.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our dealership replaced the batteries in our electronic keys at our annual service under warranty ... or maybe for customer goodwill. Whatever, it is better than being locked out of our vehicle because the electronic key battery died!
On my IS the front door handles have a rubberized black button that locks the doors. I thought the GX would be the same. While washing the truck last night I realized there is no rubber button but just touching the door handle locks the doors. Yes, the FOB has a valet key if the battery dies, you can unlock the driver's door. You can also lock the glove box and take the key if you have to leave the FOB for any reason.

I will be getting a clear bra put on tomorrow and I'll finally get to take some pics. I will also be able to put the exterior lights (LEDs and 100w high beam/DRL) in while he does the install. I'll post the pics ASAP.

Koz

Thanks,
Koz
Old 12-03-10, 12:25 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
SaniDel

Why would you be locked out if the electronic key battery died ??

Do you not have a key ??

~ Cap

Koz beat me to the punch on the answer to your question.

Yes, the mechanical portion of the key will unlock the driver's door and the glovebox. My concern is that if the vehicle is locked and the security system is armed, would using the mechanical key without disarming set off the alarm?

We've had our GX for almost a year and have adapted completely to touch-sensitive locking/unlocking ... including arming/disarming the security system. It is now second nature ... keep the electronic key in my pocket or in my wife's purse, approach either front door, rest your hand on the handle and in a split second the system disarms and the doors unlock. We have preferences set to unlock all doors, but that can be restricted.

Locking and arming is also second nature. The driver is responsible to lock all doors and arm the vehicle by 'pinching' the front of the door handle. The passenger confirms by observing the lights flash and hearing the alarm arming 'beep'. The rubber lock buttons on the rear door seem archaic and inconsistent with the rest of the vehicle ... perhaps they will disappear when they replace the rear door with a split lift/drop gate!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-03-10, 01:31 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My concern is that if the vehicle is locked and the security system is armed, would using the mechanical key without disarming set off the alarm?
On the contrary, if the alarm is set off, using the mechanical key will turn it off.

~ Cap
Old 12-03-10, 01:46 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have black semi aniline "seating surfaces". I do upholstery and almost every oem manufacturer uses leather seating or inserts with vinyl sides, back and tensions. same with the doors, you get leather inserts on vinyl wrapped panels.
Old 08-09-11, 08:18 AM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather on back head rests appears warped

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their 2010 GX. This is how they were since I bought the car. The leather isn't as smooth or soft as it is on the front headrests (included pic for comparison). The material looks rippled, warped as if something got onto it.

I have had the headrests in the car the whole time, but I don't have them on the seat because they're never used.
Attached Thumbnails Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care-dsc03128.jpg   Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care-dsc03127.jpg  
Old 08-09-11, 08:44 AM
akfd
Pole Position

My front headrests look like that too, but the leather's still nice and taut to the touch.
Old 08-09-11, 03:54 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my leather is smooth like the top one in 2nd picture. that wrinkled leather doesnt look right...

Last edited by T4Fun; 08-10-11 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 12:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn, even my Prius leather looks better...and i am not even sure if my headrest is real leather or not! Dealer will probably say that those wrinklings are "natural" and part of the leather appeal!
Old 08-11-11, 03:47 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely doesn't look right. Bring it to the dealers attention.
Old 10-24-11, 07:59 AM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Default Seat pocket leather?

Question for the group - does anyone know if the rear seat pockets in the GX (attached to the back of the front seats) are leather or vinyl? Feels like vinyl, looks like leather. Just looking for the proper cleaning stuff....
Old 10-24-11, 05:11 PM
Koz

My guess is, it is vinyl but it would be the best leather looking vinyl I've seen. It is hard to tell. I use 303 on both.

Koz
Old 10-24-11, 06:50 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Koz! My thoughts also; 303 sounds good....
Old 09-04-12, 08:24 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXOwner
We recently purchased a 2011 GX 460 Premium with the black semi aniline leather. Last week we noticed that the black leather when under sunlight has a tint of dark blue/purple on certain parts of the seats. It is very noticeable when you look at it outdoors not even in direct sunlight.

To better explain the condition.....the seating surface and even the backrest area are black but the back of the front seats where the pouch resides and also the two sides of the fronts seats (side airbag areas) have this blue/purple tint. Also the sides of the rear seats (side airbag areas) have this tint. We also noticed the side of the door panel has that tint. At first we thought there were dye issues with the leather so we took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. It doesn't seem to be a dye issue as the color tint is very specific to certain areas and dye issues are spotty.

Wanted to hear those of you with the black semi aniline leather to see if any of you noticed this color tint?
I wanted to ask if the Semi Aniline seats you have are more comfortable than say the leather seats. I know its suppose to be softer but does that mean more cushion . Or is it just a better quality leather and that it?
Old 09-05-12, 05:40 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by bluetii
I wanted to ask if the Semi Aniline seats you have are more comfortable than say the leather seats. I know its suppose to be softer but does that mean more cushion . Or is it just a better quality leather and that it?
From Lexus,

Semi-aniline leather is a higher quality than conventional leather used by other automotive manufacturers. Rather than using heavy surface dyes, the semi-aniline leather is dyed throughout. This means imperfections can't be masked, so a higher grade leather must always be used. The lack of surface dye also helps the leather retain its natural feel. Semi-aniline leather trim is available throughout the GX interior.

Koz

Quick Reply: Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care