GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Overlanding bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 10:04 PM
zombiegx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Better off going to ih8mud for this. I love this look though more so than the ones with bully bars.
Old 11-26-20, 10:01 AM
Wilkemi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it too, would. Like something flush
Old 11-26-20, 10:14 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

My truck is at a shop getting the CBI bumper installed right now.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 04:27 PM
Wilkemi
Driver School Candidate

Why year is yours? Can you send pics when it is done?
Old 11-26-20, 04:36 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilkemi
Why year is yours? Can you send pics when it is done?

Yeah. There are lots of pics if you search the GXOR facebook group for "CBI bumper"
Old 12-25-20, 12:48 PM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts
Default GX 460 CBI half_Bumper and Rock Sliders with Lights

Just did this over the past few weekends and wanted to place this "guide" here, has multiple video links and photos for reference for those wanting to take power tools to their lexus
Attached Files
The following 5 users liked this post by JayPixelGX:
Acrad (12-25-20), crwys (12-25-20), leftyguns (12-26-20), Nytron (09-07-23), Piney1 (02-20-21)
Old 01-03-21, 01:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Old 02-15-21, 12:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

https://www.exp-one.com/products/lexus-2014-gx-460/

https://www.exp-one.com/products/lex...front-bumpers/

Rear Install
https://www.exp-one.com/wp-content/u...RB-BaseSTC.pdf
Old 02-20-21, 06:21 AM
Siven
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks great JayPixelGX! I ordered mine a few weeks ago for my 2018. Where did you get the black thick trim on the body around the bumper?
Old 02-20-21, 09:28 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Siven
That looks great JayPixelGX! I ordered mine a few weeks ago for my 2018. Where did you get the black thick trim on the body around the bumper?
The good news is the kit comes with a long piece of trim that can be used for both sides of the bumper cut

Watch TX GX's video he does a great job of walking through the steps. However his kit did not come with trim.... But you can easily pick it up at AutoZone which typically has two types 1 double sided adhesive 2 U shaped Trim seems like the U shaped Trim is best the double sided tape trim I used for CBI sliders is not holding up after multiple washes but the U shaped Trim that came from CBI is working great.

One thing my kit didn't come with that is in TXGX video is the metal bracket for supporting plastic trim in front of the front tires. This was not an issue as I had these trimmed anyway for my 285/75 KO2
Lastly I went and tested the winch at the OHV park, worked well, but realized I need two access ports in the plastic trim in the engine compartment

Passenger side hole access the winch wiring in case of troubles Driver side is a must for free spilling the winch line
The following users liked this post:
Kellyrshor (03-10-21)
Old 02-21-21, 07:37 AM
deosaa7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JayPixelGX
The good news is the kit comes with a long piece of trim that can be used for both sides of the bumper cut

Watch TX GX's video he does a great job of walking through the steps. However his kit did not come with trim.... But you can easily pick it up at AutoZone which typically has two types 1 double sided adhesive 2 U shaped Trim seems like the U shaped Trim is best the double sided tape trim I used for CBI sliders is not holding up after multiple washes but the U shaped Trim that came from CBI is working great.

One thing my kit didn't come with that is in TXGX video is the metal bracket for supporting plastic trim in front of the front tires. This was not an issue as I had these trimmed anyway for my 285/75 KO2
Lastly I went and tested the winch at the OHV park, worked well, but realized I need two access ports in the plastic trim in the engine compartment

Passenger side hole access the winch wiring in case of troubles Driver side is a must for free spilling the winch line
Hey there! I just bought and am waiting to take delivery of a onynx black GX460 with driver support package. basically the same spec as yours. I want to install the CBI front bumper to improve approach angle (and because it looks rad) but am concerned about losing the wiring for the parking sensors and other safety functionality (IE radar cruise control behind emblem and front camera). Can you please let me know if your front parking sensors on the sides as well as rear sensors still work? Same for the other safety stuff. I imagine the front sensors on the bumper are part of what gets cut off.
Old 02-21-21, 09:13 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

So good news this mod does not impact Auto cruise or parking sensors cross traffic alert or blind spot monitor

CBI did a great job of making this a custom fit that preserves all stock sensors. What you cut and remove is plastic parts of the bumper (which if you go trailing ) will get beat up anyway

I have tested the Auto cruise and it works well. So does pre crash (unfortunately this was tested last road trip no crash just tight seat belts and lots of alarms).

For me the hardest part was getting the gusto to take the saw to the bumper so I had the kit sitting at my house for about 3 weeks before I embarked on the journey

With the dobinnson lift + bumper + MTS module + Grom. This feels like a totally new machine

video in rock mode and low4 you can see the articulation of UCA and springs and how effortlessly it takes this moderate obstacle

The following 5 users liked this post by JayPixelGX:
Acrad (02-27-21), deosaa7 (02-21-21), Kiza (02-21-21), Nytron (09-07-23), ps23 (02-26-21)
Old 02-21-21, 09:16 AM
deosaa7
Driver School Candidate

Hmm do the drivers support package not come with MTS? I know it comes with crawl control. Darn! Was hoping that I didn't have to install something new...

How do you compare the lift ride quality vs stock? I am a realist in that I know the 80% of this car will be day to day living and 20% will be beach runs and offroading. so dont want to put on a suspenssion that compromises ride quality over stock air bags even though they will be their own problems,
Old 02-21-21, 10:24 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Originally Posted by deosaa7
Hmm do the drivers support package not come with MTS? I know it comes with crawl control. Darn! Was hoping that I didn't have to install something new...

How do you compare the lift ride quality vs stock? I am a realist in that I know the 80% of this car will be day to day living and 20% will be beach runs and offroading. so dont want to put on a suspenssion that compromises ride quality over stock air bags even though they will be their own problems,

MTS depends on year and location if you got the canadian gx some models have MTS and transmission cooler. 20+ models with off road package also have MTS (as option from factory )

I'm in a situation where I can bike to work and this car is my "daily driver" that doesn't get driven daily. With that said the lift feels incredible especially in the bag. The rear Air bags are cool for auto leveling and raise and lowering the truck, but over hard bumps the back end would hit harder then I'd like. With lift suspension the ride is much smoother as you feel the beast articulate over bumps pot holes ect.

If you want this as a daily driver I think lift is a good idea, but maybe not bigger tires. My MPG has gone down to about 13-14 mpg with 285/75
Old 02-27-21, 01:50 PM
Siven
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What winch model did you put in the cbi?

Quick Reply: Overlanding bumpers