GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus EX460 or BMW X5 and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 07:54 PM
trainwty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus EX460 or BMW X5 and why?

Hi everyone! So I知 looking to get a new car in the next few weeks. I知 stuck between a Lexus GX 460 and a BMW X5. Both around the year of 2015. My reliable practical side says the Lexus and my sporty side says the X5. Can I get your opinion on the GX and how it is all around. Any specific year that tends to be better ect... thanks a lot!

Last edited by trainwty; 01-30-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 08:29 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

They are both very nice cars, and both very different. The GX is truck based. So its capable of doing work, in a very elegant way. The BMW is minivan based. It's a performance based minivan. So it will ride better, handle better perform better, but if you need something that can work hard, and be reliable, then the gX is it. If you want more sports car performance and don't mind the xtra maint, then the BMW.
Old 01-30-18, 08:35 PM
trainwty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I知 leasing a Jeep Grand Cherokee now which is up very soon and Now looking to buy. So I would think the Lexus would be better long term. Thanks for your input
Old 01-30-18, 11:45 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a GX and my brother has a X5 similar year/miles and it's a mess compared to my GX. I hope you got the idea. I have soo many friends at Bmw forums who fix their cars themselves if your one of those people then Bmw it is.
Old 01-31-18, 07:39 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Two diametrically opposed vehicles. Utilitarian/reliable vs. fun and German engineering (read: expensive to fix) One of my friends loves BMW's. He just makes sure after the warranty expires he gets another one.
Old 01-31-18, 09:30 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I can provide my opinion based on first hand experience. I recently got rid of my 2012 x5 (diesel, comfort seat, m sport, 3rd row, etc) and stepped into 2018 gx460. There are a few things I'm definitely missing from my x5: the handling, the heads up display, the acceleration, the interior layout, the seat comfortness due to 20 way adjustments, the brake hold, etc). However, I don't miss the the time it spent in the shop. Throughout my 7 years ownership, here are the list that I have to deal with: rear air suspension airbags went out, 02 sensors, cat issue, transmission jerkiness and hesitation after 55k miles, brake dusts everywhere, interior rattling every time going over bumps or turns, etc.
Old 04-07-18, 06:32 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a friend who is somewhat wealthy and he can afford virtually any vehicle within reason for him self and for his wife. His wife drove an X5 gas engine model with the larger engine.

With only 65,000 miles on it, and it had never been wrecked, She hit a bad Dallas Pothole and there was a short somewhere in the wiring, and it destroyed 6 body/engine/transmission control modules all at the same time when it quit running in the middle of the road. The repair bill was $4900 for the computers, and BMW wouldn't take responsibility for the poorly routed/strained wire harness..... Needless to say, my friend promptly went and traded that X5 for a Toyota Tundra with the 4.6L and got his wife an RX 400 and there have been zero problems since.

I have known many people personally who have had the dreaded "german sports car love" disease, only to be taken to the bank by the cars that they love so much.

Just remember that there is a reason why a Toyota or Lexus holds resale value so much better than a BMW, Merc, Audi, VW, etc....

We just bought a nice used base model 2012 GX460 so it didn't have air suspension in the back and a ton of crazy gadgets on board, as those are usually the items to go out first. I also wanted something much sturdier and safer than our previous car, the 2016 Subaru Forester XT. We may eventually upgrade to Koni shocks/struts or bilsteins, but in all honesty, I don't want to ruin how nice this GX rides and drives overall, so I would have to ride in someone else's rig with these other suspension components before making a decision.

Also, even though there are a lot of German "DIY" mechanics out there, it is out of necessity of saving money more than the joy of working on the cars. Some of those German cars are absolute nightmares to wrench on. Lexus and Toyota's tend to be more logical and well thought out, like Subaru's, but better.
Old 04-07-18, 10:27 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Totally agree with the Lexus/Toyota reliability part but the German resale value being less is a wrong statement as I change 2-3 cars every year. You can say about few Lexus models specially GX/LX having the best resale value. Having kept most of the Lexus models GS have the worst resale value.
Old 04-07-18, 10:40 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Totally agree with the Lexus/Toyota reliability part but the German resale value being less is a wrong statement as I change 2-3 cars every year. You can say about few Lexus models specially GX/LX having the best resale value. Having kept most of the Lexus models GS have the worst resale value.

Coming from Dallas/Tyler 4 years ago and moving here to Lakewood/Denver, all Toyota/LEXUS Awd vehicles bring a premium vs. TEXAS vehicle prices; I should have specified the area where I noticed the big difference in resale. Also, because of the high cost of registration fees here, people don稚 swap vehicles nearly as often in Colorado vs. Texas where it is cheap and easy to register new or used vehicles. The registration fees here in Colorado can easily eclipse $800 when you buy a newer year model of an expensive car.
Old 04-08-18, 04:57 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

A guy I know just traded his 2013 X5 in for a 18’ Honda Pilot. He said it’s a monthly dealer or shop visit to fix all kind of things.