GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Thinking of purchasing a GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 07:45 AM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came back from the Lexus dealer and I definitely am not thinking of buying a Lexus. I looked at the GX/LX SUV's and I was shocked at what I saw. First, the technology is outdated (navigation, camera, radio, etc. seem of old/poor quality. I was disappointed with the quality of the cameras/navigation.) Next, the interior is dull (lack of enough wood trim.) Furthermore, BMW's screen is bright and big as opposed to Lexus. Finally, the trunk is manual (as opposed to the X5 where the trunk is hydraulic.)

May I add that in a collision the BMW's body is much stronger than a Lexus?

I'm not going to buy a car I will not enjoy, even if it's reliable. I am seriously considering the X5. If I will pay a high price for an SUV then I expect to fully utilize & enjoy it I can't buy a car I can not enjoy driving unless its very cheap. Unfortunately Lexus is not cheap.

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
Im sure the X5 will feel tight and nimble but that’ll wear our. The low profile tires are a joke and so the ride will also be somewhat harsh. I also don’t like how BMWs age inside and out. I would prefer an MB instead. Can you swing a G wagon?
I currently drive an E300 and can't wait to get rid of it. I would never buy another Benz in my life. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Last edited by aceboy44; 02-19-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

BMW's are service nightmares.

Popular Mechanics published a study and they ranked BMW #1 "most expensive to maintain" and it wasn't even close.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...s-to-maintain/
Old 02-19-18, 09:22 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Boom! There it is!
Old 02-19-18, 09:51 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by aceboy44
I just came back from the Lexus dealer and I definitely am not thinking of buying a Lexus. I looked at the GX/LX SUV's and I was shocked at what I saw. First, the technology is outdated (navigation, camera, radio, etc. seem of old/poor quality. I was disappointed with the quality of the cameras/navigation.) Next, the interior is dull (lack of enough wood trim.) Furthermore, BMW's screen is bright and big as opposed to Lexus. Finally, the trunk is manual (as opposed to the X5 where the trunk is hydraulic.)

I'm not going to buy a car I will not enjoy, even if it's reliable. I am seriously considering the X5. If I will pay a high price for an SUV then I expect to fully utilize & enjoy it I can't buy a car I can not enjoy driving unless its very cheap. Unfortunately Lexus is not cheap.

I currently drive an E300 and can't wait to get rid of it. I would never buy another Benz in my life. I learned my lesson the hard way.
I'd agree with you. My fiancé has the X1 and its 10x more fun to drive on the road. I enjoy driving it here and there, at the end of the day the 3 liter twin turbo is just too much power for me and I find myself driving aggressive with all the power on tap. Every corner becomes an obstacle to rail around with the x-drive. However, at the end of the day, I really just need a cruiser than can go places that a bmw would get wrecked on. So if you are sticking to the pavement, get the X5 all day, like you said, it has stronger body panels than the GX (won't do crap in a collision where the BOF is stronger, but at least you won't get door dings as easy).
Old 02-19-18, 10:05 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Good for you... the Lex isn’t for everyone, and the X5 is a nice car.
I put a premium on BOF (I go off-road/kayaking), reliability and depreciation. The tech was good enough for me, as was the styling.

One of my employees has an X3, and it ‘needs something’ every month.
Old 02-19-18, 10:17 AM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank

Popular Mechanics published a study and they ranked BMW #1 "most expensive to maintain" and it wasn't even close.

In the Middle East (where I live) Mercedes is more nightmare than a BMW when it comes to maintenance. Did you ever have to leave your car to service for 5 days (Service B) and pay approximately USD $1,500 to get it serviced? That's what happened to me when I bought my Benz (not to mention the unexpected fuel additives costs too.) I hate to rent a car for 5 days while paying Mercedes ultra-ridiculous high fees for servicing. Last year I paid approximately $USD 3,600 for my Benz and I'm getting sick of the crap I receive from the dealer. At least BMW here takes from 24 - 48 hours to service a car, and I don't have to put fuel additives every time I refuel my car (huge difference between the Benz and BMW.)

I am also not sure about car/maintanance prices in the U.S but over here the price difference between a GX and an X5 is not that huge, but the difference in driving experience/pleasure and maintenance fees (GX of course being much cheaper than an X5) is greatly noticable hence why I'm leaning towards the X5.

Out of curiosity how often would you guys take your BMW for maintenance? BMW here gives me 5 years warranty and 4 years of complimentary service

Last edited by aceboy44; 02-19-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 12:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you enjoy reliability but want the luxury aspect, I suggest looking at the Prado 18, Which in your market has been refreshed with all the new tech. If not your next alternative with reliability in mind would be either an landcruiser 200 or the Lexus LX570.

Unfortunately there is nothing that is reliable and technologically superior then that lineup. Yes a warranty and complimentary service benefits are great on paper, but availing of each frequently kind of negates the point.

My normal advice is lease German buy Japanese, and live your life any way you choose.
The following users liked this post:
aceboy44 (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 05:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

lol, literally the 3 in last place are Toyota. I figured Lexus would be at least somewhere in the middle because of the absolute rip off dealer prices.

I'm not surprised BMW is #1. A buddy of mine has an '00 328i, he worships that car yet spends like 5k a year to keep it running. THAT I KNOW OF, he spent over $4,000 on repairs alone (at an indy shop noless). He's one of those german car fanboys that think paying a ridiculous amount on repairs is just "part of it", and saves every penny he has for repairs. Love the guy but he's the joke of our group, thinks it's such a great car when it's literally a rolling junkpile. It looks good, but that's it.

OP good luck, I'd at least go with the Escalade. It may have some niggles but it will be generally reliable. I'd honestly rather have a last gen Yukon Denali over a GX just for the engine and size, but I know a GX is literally one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. My '03 Yukon the powertrain is still solid as a rock, but the little stuff is messed up. Heated seats stopped working, CD player, gauges, just little stuff. Lexus isn't like that, flat everything lasts forever.
Old 02-19-18, 07:32 PM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is such a subjective choice no one else can help you much. But the strongest arguments for the GX, outdated tech and all, are superior reliability and lower total cost of ownership. So if you’re willing to pay the extra bucks on maintenance, go for the X5. I was strongly tempted by a Q7, but chose the GX because we’ll own it for more than 10 years and it’s one of the most reliable vehicles sold. That was enough for me. Enjoy the Beemer.
Old 02-19-18, 07:36 PM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If you enjoy reliability but want the luxury aspect, I suggest looking at the Prado 18, Which in your market has been refreshed with all the new tech. If not your next alternative with reliability in mind would be either an landcruiser 200 or the Lexus LX570.

Unfortunately there is nothing that is reliable and technologically superior then that lineup. Yes a warranty and complimentary service benefits are great on paper, but availing of each frequently kind of negates the point.

My normal advice is lease German buy Japanese, and live your life any way you choose.
Thank you very much for this great feedback. I never thought of leasing a German brand for pleasure, and buying a Jap brand for reliability.

Anyways, since when did Toyota become luxurious? I wouldn't hesitate buying a Prado/Land Cruiser if they were luxurious, as their prices are within my budget but to me (and many people around the world) if you want luxury Lexus (GX/LX) is way to go, not Toyota (Prado/Land Cruiser.) The issue here is that although Lexus may last with me for 10+ years as many of you have mentioned (which was the main purpose of buying my car,) I'm not sure I will even keep the car for 2 years if I don't enjoy driving it in the first place. Yesterday my experience with the cars at the dealer was disgusting.

Regarding leasing a German vehicle, unfortunately there are not a variety of luxurious vehicle available for leasing where I live (they have limited hand-picked vehicles for leasing and I couldn't find neither a Cayeene nor X5 available for lease .) However, They do have a Range Rover available for leasing but not only do I not like the car, but the lease price is very expensive.

Once again I appreciate and thank you for your feedback

Originally Posted by AJT123
OP good luck, I'd at least go with the Escalade. It may have some niggles but it will be generally reliable. I'd honestly rather have a last gen Yukon Denali over a GX just for the engine and size, but I know a GX is literally one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. My '03 Yukon the powertrain is still solid as a rock, but the little stuff is messed up. Heated seats stopped working, CD player, gauges, just little stuff. Lexus isn't like that, flat everything lasts forever.
Thank you, I thought of the Esclade but I'm a bit reluctant on reliability (the reputation of American cars has not been great recently.....)

Thank you all for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it
Old 02-19-18, 07:50 PM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Greysmoke
This is such a subjective choice no one else can help you much. But the strongest arguments for the GX, outdated tech and all, are superior reliability and lower total cost of ownership. So if you’re willing to pay the extra bucks on maintenance, go for the X5. I was strongly tempted by a Q7, but chose the GX because we’ll own it for more than 10 years and it’s one of the most reliable vehicles sold. That was enough for me. Enjoy the Beemer.
I would gladly purchase the GX if Lexus brought down its prices since as you mentioned the technology is way outdated. However, for a small price difference between the X5 (up-to-date technology) versus GX (old technology and dull interior) I can't see how GX can justify its high selling price.....
Old 02-20-18, 07:05 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche... there is no substitute....
Old 02-20-18, 07:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I would gladly purchase the GX if Lexus brought down its prices since as you mentioned the technology is way outdated. However, for a small price difference between the X5 (up-to-date technology) versus GX (old technology and dull interior) I can't see how GX can justify its high selling price.....
Outdated for sure, but your paying for the quality. The X5 your paying for the service bay experience. Again if you dont mind, then no substitute.
Old 02-20-18, 09:31 AM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Outdated for sure, but your paying for the quality. The X5 your paying for the service bay experience. Again if you dont mind, then no substitute.
What quality are you talking about? Did you see the difference in quality for the navigation, camera, body/chasis (in case of collision,) etc. between the two cars?

Test drive both vehicles and you will know what I mean. Huge difference in quality (X5 of course being the winner,) but unfortunately not a huge difference in price!!!!!

As previously mentioned I was disgusted by my visit to Lexus.
Old 02-20-18, 11:18 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Out of curiosity how often would you guys take your BMW for maintenance? BMW here gives me 5 years warranty and 4 years of complimentary service
4 years/50,000 miles complimentary service. I think we've done 3 oil changes in 41,000 miles, which is kind of scary. BMW services it when the light goes on, so at 41k, I think we just had our last free oil change. Its also still on the original brakes too! That means the free maintenance saved us about $300.00 which is not worth the risk of owning a bimmer IMO. I think you should get a BMW though, you don't sound like a GX person to me and it seems like you are forcing yourself to want to like it, but already know your heart is set on the X5. If you go ask this question on a BMW forum, they would all agree with your opinion since that's the group of guys that wasn't looking for the same thing that this group here is on ClubLexus.

Everyone here has made it pretty clear

BMW: Pros - great looks, fast, fun and newer technology, Cons - long term maintenance and reliability

Lexus: Pros - Reliable, Safe, with tried and true tech, Cons - big old slow cruiser, spindle grill, no a/c control buttons (only screen control)

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a GX