GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 03:03 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
It completely fell off my radar but thanks for reminding me!

I took off the outer mirror covers on both sides and it doesn't look good. Passenger side mirror has 4 wires for the camera that the driver side does not. I guess if it were possible at all, there'll be a different Driver Side Mirror Control Module that has the needed wires. The plug going into the control module has a solid yellow wire which is what looks like is needed for the camera. What do you yall think?

For US GX w/ Driver Support Package, there is no camera harness inside driver side door panel. If you compare to passenger side, there is a 4 pin rounded harness right above the mirror module which connects the 4 pins from mirror camera. For canadian GX with Executive package (i think that's what they call) will have both side cameras. Here is what the camera connect looks like:

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 04:25 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I thought they plugged into the Parking Assist module in the front passenger dash area.
Ok, I'll look into it when I go to replace the glove box light which I broke yesterday when I was installing the MTS module.

Originally Posted by hzhao
For US GX w/ Driver Support Package, there is no camera harness inside driver side door panel. If you compare to passenger side, there is a 4 pin rounded harness right above the mirror module which connects the 4 pins from mirror camera. For canadian GX with Executive package (i think that's what they call) will have both side cameras. Here is what the camera connect looks like:
Yep I figured that out by taking both door panels off. I got pics in my posts above.
Old 11-23-18, 04:53 PM
hzhao
Racer

Ok, I'll look into it when I go to replace the glove box light which I broke yesterday when I was installing the MTS module.

Yep I figured that out by taking both door panels off. I got pics in my posts above.
The cameras are connected to Park Assist ECU module which only exist for GX with Driver Support Package. For enable MTS. the module we have replaced is called "Park Assist Switch ECU", not to be confused with "Park Assist ECU", which is a completely different module. For reference, all GXs without Driver Support Package, the reverse camera is connected to Display, that is why the GXs without Driver Support Package, don't get the Dynamic Guide Line (the yellow overlay lines moves with stressing wheel angles), and parallel parking guidance (a blue box moves with steering wheel angels), because all of those are generated with "Park Assist ECU". Kind of confusing, is it?

Last edited by hzhao; 11-24-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 11:29 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

The cameras are connected to Drive Assist ECU module which only exist for GX with Driver Support Package. For enable MTS. the module we have replaced is called "Drive Assist Switch ECU", not to be confused with "Drive Assist ECU", which is a completely different module. For reference, all GXs without Driver Support Package, the reverse camera is connected to "Break Assist ECU", that is why the GXs without Driver Support Package, don't get the Dynamic Guide Line (the yellow overlay lines moves with stressing wheel angles), and parallel parking guidance (a blue box moves with steering wheel angels), because all of those are generated with "Drive Assist ECU". Kind of confusing, is it?
I do have the Driver Support Package on my '13 but I do not have the dynamic guide lines in my reverse cam.

Update: I think I see what you're talking about. there are 4 variants of the "Drive Assist ECU" with the name code 86792C. What we're trying to figure out is if the one I have has pins for the driver side camera and if a camera is connected to those pins will it recognize it? Or does the ECU have to be swapped with the canadian version? If it's the latter then that's a little more $$$ than I'm willing to spend to enable driver side camera.

Last edited by Ramacher; 11-24-18 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 12:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I forget now.. need to look at older posts. Am I having a false memory? I thought like '17 and later had dynamic rear lines if they had the Driver Support Package
Old 11-24-18, 01:14 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

I forget now.. need to look at older posts. Am I having a false memory? I thought like '17 and later had dynamic rear lines if they had the Driver Support Package
Well, the description for one of them mentions it has the guide so guess it's possible for a '13 (not US spec) to have them.

86792-60570
Computer, Parking Assist
BACK MONITOR-WITH(W/GUIDE & MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)

BACK MONITOR-WITH(WITH/GUIDE & AROUND MONITOR)
But based on the descriptions for 2 other part numbers, I'm not sure which I have (short of removing my glove box again and looking at the module). Do I have an "Around Monitor" or "Multi Terrain Monitor"?
86792-60360
Computer, Parking Assist
USA DEPENDENCY SPEC&AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,SDARS,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

AUDIO-EMV,CD CHANGER,SDARS,9SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

MEXICO SPEC&AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(AROUND MONITOR)

86792-60370
Computer, Parking Assist
USA DEPENDENCY SPEC&AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)

AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,SDARS,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)

MEXICO SPEC&AUDIO-EMV,DVD CHANGER,17SPEAKER&CLEARANCE & BACK SONAR-WITH(FRONT & REAR)&BACK MONITOR (REAR TELEVISION CAMERA)-WITH(MULTI-TELLAIN MONITOR)

Old 11-24-18, 01:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

I do have the Driver Support Package on my '13 but I do not have the dynamic guide lines in my reverse cam.

Update: I think I see what you're talking about. there are 4 variants of the "Drive Assist ECU" with the name code 86792C. What we're trying to figure out is if the one I have has pins for the driver side camera and if a camera is connected to those pins will it recognize it? Or does the ECU have to be swapped with the canadian version? If it's the latter then that's a little more $$$ than I'm willing to spend to enable driver side camera.

Did you turn off dynamic line? The yellow moving line can be turned off. There is a on-screen button when you put car into reverse with reverse camera on. The moving line should be part of driver support package if I am remember correctly.

That's what I was remembered. I think at least 2014 and up are the same.
Old 11-24-18, 01:32 PM
hzhao
Racer

Well, the description for one of them mentions it has the guide so guess it's possible for a '13 (not US spec) to have them.

But based on the descriptions for 2 other part numbers, I'm not sure which I have (short of removing my glove box again and looking at the module). Do I have an "Around Monitor" or "Multi Terrain Monitor"?
Those descriptions are confusing. If you already have the Driver support Package, I think that you do not need to switch any ECUs. The camera connection for left camera is on park assist ECU's pin #28, 29, 30, 31. You just need to extend those to the driver side of mirror. You may need to enable MTS function in order to be able to select left camera view, and possible a techstream camera calibration. For those of us without Driver Support Package just simply missing the "Park Assist ECU" (for which I have mis-labelled as Drive Assit ECU earlier).
Old 11-24-18, 01:57 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Did you turn off dynamic line? The yellow moving line can be turned off. There is a on-screen button when you put car into reverse with reverse camera on. The moving line should be part of driver support package if I am remember correctly.
I don't recall ever disabling them or even seeing the option in the nav screen settings but I'll double check in an hour or so.

Those descriptions are confusing. If you already have the Driver support Package, I think that you do not need to switch any ECUs. The camera connection for left camera is on park assist ECU's pin #28, 29, 30, 31. You just need to extend those to the driver side of mirror. You may need to enable MTS function in order to be able to select left camera view, and possible a techstream camera calibration. For those of us without Driver Support Package just simply missing the "Park Assist ECU" (for which I have mis-labelled as Drive Assit ECU earlier).
I've been reading through calibration procedures in Alldata and any time the driver side camera is mentioned it has a note of "*3: w/ Multi-terrain Monitor", see below.

With the difference between 2 of the Park Assist ECU's descriptions posted previously being 1 has "With Around Monitor" and the other has "With Multi-Terrain Monitor" I have a sneaking suspicion that the Park Assist ECU would need to be swapped out. (part number 86792-60360 vs 86792-60370).

Now after adding the MTS module (Driver Support Switch Control 859A1-60020) there's an option for "Cam Position" but selecting it does nothing. I also think this is linked to the above mentioned Parking Assist ECU. BUT these are assumptions and can't be sure until I try to connect a camera to the pins of the Park Assist ECU that is in my vehicle.

Old 11-24-18, 02:20 PM
hzhao
Racer

I don't recall ever disabling them or even seeing the option in the nav screen settings but I'll double check in an hour or so.

I've been reading through calibration procedures in Alldata and any time the driver side camera is mentioned it has a note of "*3: w/ Multi-terrain Monitor", see below.

With the difference between 2 of the Park Assist ECU's descriptions posted previously being 1 has "With Around Monitor" and the other has "With Multi-Terrain Monitor" I have a sneaking suspicion that the Park Assist ECU would need to be swapped out. (part number 86792-60360 vs 86792-60370).

Now after adding the MTS module (Driver Support Switch Control 859A1-60020) there's an option for "Cam Position" but selecting it does nothing. I also think this is linked to the above mentioned Parking Assist ECU. BUT these are assumptions and can't be sure until I try to connect a camera to the pins of the Park Assist ECU that is in my vehicle.

That's a good point. You may right on that.
Old 11-24-18, 02:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I PM'd konc3pt as he has an '11 Ultra Premium from Canada with Multi Terrain Monitor (4 cameras) as to whether he has any guidance lines.
Old 11-24-18, 05:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I PM'd konc3pt as he has an '11 Ultra Premium from Canada with Multi Terrain Monitor (4 cameras) as to whether he has any guidance lines.
FYI: konc3pt says no guidance lines on rear camera
Old 11-24-18, 06:57 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

I checked my nav screen and have no option for guide lines in the park assist settings.

Regarding the Driver side mirror camera. I found the wires for the camera from the Park Assist ECU go all the way to the KG1 Harness to Harness Connector by the driver side door so this will make plugging something in to test it out a lot easier.

Park Assist Settings

JG1 Wire Harness to Passenger Door

JG1 Wire Harness to Passenger Door

JG1 Wire Harness Rear Side (from Park Assist ECU)

KG1 Wire Harness to Driver Door

KG1 Wire Harness Rear Side (From Park Assist ECU)

The following 2 users liked this post by Ramacher:
Acrad (11-24-18), hzhao (11-24-18)
Old 11-24-18, 07:11 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

Down in that area is where I shorted the pins to put it into reverse, but I didn't have the wiring to activate the monitor. Now on pause to see about the Tesla style tablet interface.
Old 11-24-18, 07:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

I checked my nav screen and have no option for guide lines in the park assist settings.
Did you see this screen when you in reverse? The button (1) supposed to change the display mode with or without guide line.

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support