GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 03:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I guess it will be the only way to find for sure when I get back and pull the door panel off. I have done it once when I was trying to do the mirror fold with hard wire option. So, do it again will not be as hard as in first time.
Old 03-09-18, 04:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

The connector on this backup camera did snap right up to the front camera but no picture.

It sounds like from RU forum you need to have two cameras hooked up for detection. Also need to locate the wire that is used for the trigger switch on steering wheel. This may be needed as well for activation much like crawl switch did. This could be a separate switch.

https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopi...15&per_page=15

I ran through a different translation site to try to get a it clearer.

"If we were talking about the Touareg, I would have agreed with this statement, there really are all through Vasya diagnostician handles.
In Toyota a little differently it is organized, approximately as plug-and-play in Windows, roughly: stuck a USB stick, the system picked up it. Or under the registration means the connection of sensors from the menu buttons on the steering wheel?
The nuances there, but not global, for example when hooked up only the front camera on it even though the power didn't want to go, stuck right and head she found both cameras.
Dealer scanner is not needed.
If anyone is very interested in what's "inside" enough Chinese lace, such as MINI-VCI, the price of floor mats.
Along the way, you can learn about all the sores, so that the station is not loaded in full, turn off the buzzer belts, etc."

If anyone has their door panel off for any upgrades over the weekend please take a bunch of pictures. Still trying to confirm whether camera harness is actually in the door in this area.

Based on tecmans's picture and it may be there but can't make it out.... it would be in this area where there is a red wire in upper left area. That may actually be it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...24eb611319.jpg

Hopefully the male connector of the round connector here is already in the door.

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Here is going to be a cheap test with an OEM camera that is actually for the rear tailgate of a '08-'13 Toyota Tacoma

$38 so I thought what the heck. It would require a custom mount if it worked on the front.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-View-B...r/162581484069

Connector at least visually looks like a match to the connector on front of GX in earlier pages of the thread.

Saw this on another site.

The surround plastic mount looks like it comes off

Last edited by Acrad; 03-09-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 05:59 PM
hzhao
Racer

Maybe following switch can be used to substitute the GX steering wheel camera switch if we can locate the wires for the steering wheel switch and/or triggering relay for the cameras.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-09-18, 06:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wonder though if this may be problematic as switch is ON/OFF and stock steering wheel switch needs momentary action?
Old 03-09-18, 06:33 PM
hzhao
Racer

I wonder though if this may be problematic as switch is ON/OFF and stock steering wheel switch needs momentary action?
I thought about that too...... usually the push button switch could be easily to be modified became a trigger switch as most push type on and off switch has a locking tab like ball pen, either by removing the attached spring or tab will make it became the triggering switch. maybe an alternative option instead of steering wheel switch panel replacement (assume the wire for the switch is easy to be locate and tap into).
Old 03-10-18, 07:16 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hzhao
I thought about that too...... usually the push button switch could be easily to be modified became a trigger switch as most push type on and off switch has a locking tab like ball pen, either by removing the attached spring or tab will make it became the triggering switch. maybe an alternative option instead of steering wheel switch panel replacement (assume the wire for the switch is easy to be locate and tap into).

Good point and switch looks to have a near perfect fit and is pretty inexpensive too.
Old 03-10-18, 07:20 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

As far as I can tell if you do buy the OEM steering part you do get the left trigger switch but you would also have the right hand LDA and Cruise distance switch regardless if you converted to it or not. I guess the right side wouldn't be that big of a deal since its the same thing as adding an 070 to a vehicle without AVS or RHC.

EDIT: That might a hidden use for those with unused 070 suspension related switches

EDIT2: Saw this on FJ forum for someone wanting to leverage an air horn.

"Is there an easy way to convert a switch or are there any momentary toyota switches out there?
Yes, all you have to do is use a small jewelers screw driver and pop the switch open on the sides(4 tabs) .. Then remove the metal S piece at the front of the switch. This metal piece acts similar like a pen clicker. Remove it and the thin metal bar it lays across...poof instant momentary switch. "

Last edited by Acrad; 03-10-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 08:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I think the camera trigger switch is pin "23" on this connector that goes into Park Assist ECU.

The Switch being this "Round Monitor"

`

Last edited by Acrad; 03-10-18 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 08:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Considering these are wire colors of side cameras

The wires (upper left) seen in tecman's pic could very well be unused camera connectors.

Old 03-10-18, 11:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Park Assist ECU

Old 03-10-18, 11:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Cameras appear to be connected on left white connector "I 2"

Rear Camera: 11, 12, 13, 14

Right Camera: 15, 16, 17, 18

Front Camera: 23, 24, 25, 26

Left Camera: 27, 28, 29, 30

Last edited by Acrad; 02-26-19 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 03:15 PM
hzhao
Racer

As far as I can tell if you do buy the OEM steering part you do get the left trigger switch but you would also have the right hand LDA and Cruise distance switch regardless if you converted to it or not. I guess the right side wouldn't be that big of a deal since its the same thing as adding an 070 to a vehicle without AVS or RHC.

EDIT: That might a hidden use for those with unused 070 suspension related switches

EDIT2: Saw this on FJ forum for someone wanting to leverage an air horn.

"Is there an easy way to convert a switch or are there any momentary toyota switches out there?
Yes, all you have to do is use a small jewelers screw driver and pop the switch open on the sides(4 tabs) .. Then remove the metal S piece at the front of the switch. This metal piece acts similar like a pen clicker. Remove it and the thin metal bar it lays across...poof instant momentary switch. "
There are several version and configuration of the steering wheel switch panel. One of them is 84250-60220, which only has camera and radar cruise distance switch, without LDA switch, which is a more common configuration for other markets. I did ordered one in China as part of experimental to see if we can get the cameras option working as OEM spec.

Last edited by hzhao; 03-10-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 07:40 AM
hzhao
Racer

I started add front and sideview cameras project as I had planned. But to my biggest surprise, the front camera connector was not there for my 2014 GX without Driver Support Package. All along, from members posts here regardless the trim level, the front camera and radar connector harness are presence regardless where you have the option installed or not. I was out of country and didn't really thought about to check 2014 specifically. Apparently, starting from 2014, this is no longer the case. I still see there is the harness for radar, but no front camera harness anywhere.

Can anyone who has the 2014+ without Driver Support Package to verify if you have the only pre-wired harness for radar, no harness for front camera any more.

If that turned out to be true, my project will be quickly ended here. I really hate to see that.
Old 04-01-18, 08:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Trying to remember if I have seen any pictures on this site of someone who had removed the front bumper for whatever reason. I'm trying to look at some wrecked '14+ GXs but usually too much carnage to make out the wiring harnesses on the front.

If plugs aren't there I wonder if is an accessory wire harness off of something like this near the battery area?

Last edited by Acrad; 04-01-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 09:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Link

Not sure of the schematic is accurate as it looks like '10-'13 but PN list should be '14+

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support