GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 10:07 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

At least with my 2014 GX, the adding wide and side view camera project is official dead. There are no pre-wiring harness either in front, or inside both front door panel for OEM cameras. Maybe 2010 - 2013 would have better luck, at least we already know that front camera harness is there. By look through FSM, the wire bundle in engine compartment has changed for 2014, therefore the camera harness will only be exist for vehicles with sideview option.
Old 04-03-18, 01:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I'm gonna see if I have time this weekend to pull over my front passenger door to see if mine has the wiring. I did see on some sites there were some different door harnesses for '10-'13 so it might be a deal killer for those models as well.
Old 04-03-18, 02:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'm gonna see if I have time this weekend to pull over my front passenger door to see if mine has the wiring. I did see on some sites there were some different door harnesses for '10-'13 so it might be a deal killer for those models as well.
Definitely interesting to know.....
Old 04-03-18, 02:20 PM
hzhao
Racer

Still would think the wires are on Park Assist ECU, must off one of the junction connector, the cables has different part numbers for various option......
Old 04-03-18, 03:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Might try on Saturday if I have time. If not shoot for Sunday.

I have to swap the winter tires off a few vehicles.
Old 04-05-18, 02:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like I don't have the camera wires either. hzhao and I are looking at possibility of terminating own wiring at wire blocks that connect directly to the Parking Assist ECU.

Hardest part of the door for me was getting that top trim piece off the window sets against. You have to remove that top piece, place on door frame and on mine anyway give it a pop with your hand along the top for the door panel connectors to reattach.

The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (04-05-18), hzhao (04-05-18), tuandino (04-06-18)
Old 04-08-18, 05:13 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone investigated this navtool solution? I already installed the BeatSonic bypass but this solution from Navtool adds multiple camera support! I realize this is not a factory solution but what really attracts me to it is how the side cameras claim to be activated by the turn signal automatically and the front automatically up to 10mph. I don't have time to research further tonight but I think this would be a cool solution if we could rig this up with the factory cameras.

http://www.navtool.com/lexus-gx-2014...e-carplay.aspx

NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY does not replace or add the factory screen; it creates additional video inputs and smartphone mirroring & Apple Carplay capabilities for the factory installed navigation system or color information screen. Vehicles equipped with factory color screen or an outdated factory navigation can now take advantage of the navigations apps installed on your smartphone, mirror/project any application including navigation applications (Waze, Google Maps and similar) from smartphone to vehicle's color screen.
NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY+ HAGRY are 100% plug and play - no wire cutting required. NavTool plug and play installation harnesses are made using only O.E.M. factory connectors.
(Accessory, Ground, Reverse, Parking Brake wires may still need to be connected)

VIDEO INPUTS AS MULTIPLE CAMERA SWITCHING:

Front Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a front camera. The front camera can be turned on automatically after the reverse and will stay on the screen up to 10 MPH, or can be turned on manually at any time.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE FRONT CAMERAS

Left Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a left lane watch camera. The left camera can be turned on automatically with a left turn signal or can be turned on manually at any time.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE LANE WATCH CAMERAS

Right Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a right lane watch camera. Right camera can be turned on automatically with a right turn signal or can be turned on manually at any time.

Rear Camera Input: (if a vehicle is not equipped with a factory rear view camera) is dedicated to an installation of a rear view camera. Rear view camera can be turned on automatically in reverse or can be turned on manually at any time.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE REAR VIEW CAMERAS

Any of The Above Video Inputs can also be used as an input for a 360 surround view cameras
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE SURROUND VIEW CAMERAS

Video switching is done via factory radio buttons, all factory features continue to operate as before.
Old 04-19-18, 05:57 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
Has anyone investigated this navtool solution? I already installed the BeatSonic bypass but this solution from Navtool adds multiple camera support! I realize this is not a factory solution but what really attracts me to it is how the side cameras claim to be activated by the turn signal automatically and the front automatically up to 10mph. I don't have time to research further tonight but I think this would be a cool solution if we could rig this up with the factory cameras.

http://www.navtool.com/lexus-gx-2014...e-carplay.aspx

NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY does not replace or add the factory screen; it creates additional video inputs and smartphone mirroring & Apple Carplay capabilities for the factory installed navigation system or color information screen. Vehicles equipped with factory color screen or an outdated factory navigation can now take advantage of the navigations apps installed on your smartphone, mirror/project any application including navigation applications (Waze, Google Maps and similar) from smartphone to vehicle's color screen.
NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY+ HAGRY are 100% plug and play - no wire cutting required. NavTool plug and play installation harnesses are made using only O.E.M. factory connectors.
(Accessory, Ground, Reverse, Parking Brake wires may still need to be connected)

VIDEO INPUTS AS MULTIPLE CAMERA SWITCHING:

Front Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a front camera. The front camera can be turned on automatically after the reverse and will stay on the screen up to 10 MPH, or can be turned on manually at any time.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE FRONT CAMERAS

Left Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a left lane watch camera. The left camera can be turned on automatically with a left turn signal or can be turned on manually at any time.

Right Camera Input: is dedicated to an installation of a right lane watch camera. Right camera can be turned on automatically with a right turn signal or can be turned on manually at any time.

Rear Camera Input: (if a vehicle is not equipped with a factory rear view camera) is dedicated to an installation of a rear view camera. Rear view camera can be turned on automatically in reverse or can be turned on manually at any time.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE REAR VIEW CAMERAS

Any of The Above Video Inputs can also be used as an input for a 360 surround view cameras
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF AN AVAILABLE SURROUND VIEW CAMERAS

Video switching is done via factory radio buttons, all factory features continue to operate as before.
On paper, this interface seems very promising. But for some reason, the videos of installation and other product related demos just been very poorly done. As far as utilizing the OEM cameras (front and side), it could be difficult but not impossible. The biggest concern is all Lexus OEM cameras use non-standard 12v for power supply, it uses 5.5 to 7v. Which just add another monkey into the ranch, and not sure how well it will play with the interface. So, this proofs a good alternative interface, I would probably go with the aftermarket cameras for easy integration.
Old 04-19-18, 06:00 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
On paper, this interface seems very promising. But for some reason, the videos of installation and other product related demos just been very poorly done. As far as utilizing the OEM cameras (front and side), it could be difficult but not impossible. The biggest concern is all Lexus OEM cameras use non-standard 12v for power supply, it uses 5.5 to 7v. Which just add another monkey into the ranch, and not sure how well it will play with the interface. So, this proofs a good alternative interface, I would probably go with the aftermarket cameras for easy integration.
I agree. I've had some email communication with the company and it is basically the same phone screen mirroring solution as BeatSonic. I did confirm that we cannot utilize the Lexus touch screen (same as BeatSonic) but they provide a small mouse like interface that can be used to control the phone remotely through the nav screen. Where it gets really interesting to me is the ability to add multiple cameras that would be activated by our turn signal switch. At this point I just want to investigate the third party camera options a bit. Not sure I want to have a cheezy camera stuck to the underside of the mirrors and I'm sure we would get some wind noise at highway speeds. I will try to investigate a bit more this weekend.
Old 05-12-18, 12:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

While having everything out of the right dash today I think the AV unit to tape wires is located about dashboard height on the far left side of passenger dashboard. To the left of the MTS module about a foot I guess. This would make it far easier to tap wires. I'll probably look further into this in the next few months.
Old 05-13-18, 07:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
While having everything out of the right dash today I think the AV unit to tape wires is located about dashboard height on the far left side of passenger dashboard. To the left of the MTS module about a foot I guess. This would make it far easier to tap wires. I'll probably look further into this in the next few months.
So if I understood correctly, the harness to Driver Assist ECU has the full wires, right? If so, the junction connector should be inside of both side of panel cover. While I was working one Smart Entry for rear doors, I have to take off both quarter panel off for fishing the wires from the front door panel, there are several junction connectors at both side, I am certain that mirror cameras and front camera should be terminated there. I will do some digging on the wire colors from wire diagram to see if the is the case.

On a side note, I was also thinking of aftermarket 360 degree camera interface, and combined with beat-sonic to achieve some-sort of bird eye view option. and will make it as a summer project for experiment.....
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 09:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It would appears so on all the wires being present on the Driver Assist ECU.
Old 06-27-18, 10:18 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm thinking of working on this as well with my 2012. I'd like to add both left an right mirror cameras as well as the front camera. I found a used front camera from a 2013 and it plugged right in. Unfortunately, as you already know, it does not show up. I have the MTS computer installed (the 020) and thought that maybe the Cam.Position option in the menu might activate the front camera, but no dice. In the next few months I'll see if I can source the wing mirror cameras as well as trying to fabricate the wire harness to connect the cameras to the computer. I now have the steering wheel switches for the camera, LDA, and radar distance control (also for the project of adding RDCC, and maybe LDA down the line) that I'll be adding to see if that activates the camera. But after reading through this, I'll likely have to add at least one wing mirror camera before I can get the front camera to work. Also I have the added complexity of having the F-Sport front grill. Not sure if I'm going to dremmel a hole for the camera or get the non-F-sport grill with the camera location.

Mirror Camera part numbers:
Left camera 86790-60150
Right camera 86790-60160

It looks like to add official door wiring you'd need these two harnesses :
Left door 82152-60A00
Right door 82151-60A70

@hzhao On another topic mentioned in this post. For the auto-high beams. There was mention of a major BCU needed to be replaced. What BCU need to be changed to get this feature? I know the mirror with the sensor and the wire harness (to support auto high beam mirror and LDA camera) in the roof need to be replaced.

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 06-27-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 02:31 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
I'm thinking of working on this as well with my 2012. I'd like to add both left an right mirror cameras as well as the front camera. I found a used front camera from a 2013 and it plugged right in. Unfortunately, as you already know, it does not show up. I have the MTS computer installed (the 020) and thought that maybe the Cam.Position option in the menu might activate the front camera, but no dice. In the next few months I'll see if I can source the wing mirror cameras as well as trying to fabricate the wire harness to connect the cameras to the computer. I now have the steering wheel switches for the camera, LDA, and radar distance control (also for the project of adding RDCC, and maybe LDA down the line) that I'll be adding to see if that activates the camera. But after reading through this, I'll likely have to add at least one wing mirror camera before I can get the front camera to work. Also I have the added complexity of having the F-Sport front grill. Not sure if I'm going to dremmel a hole for the camera or get the non-F-sport grill with the camera location.

Mirror Camera part numbers:
Left camera 86790-60150
Right camera 86790-60160

It looks like to add official door wiring you'd need these two harnesses :
Left door 82152-60A00
Right door 82151-60A70

@hzhao On another topic mentioned in this post. For the auto-high beams. There was mention of a major BCU needed to be replaced. What BCU need to be changed to get this feature? I know the mirror with the sensor and the wire harness (to support auto high beam mirror and LDA camera) in the roof need to be replaced.
In order for Auto High Beam to work, you will need to replace the headlight control ECU, the LAD roof modular which also utilize the camera for front and on-coming lighting detection, Auto High Beam switch, and associated wire harnesses. Not sure if it is even practical to retrofit within the reasonable costs. As far as the camera project, I have a separate writing on what I have done with surround view installations.
Acrad (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 03:20 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
In order for Auto High Beam to work, you will need to replace the headlight control ECU, the LAD roof modular which also utilize the camera for front and on-coming lighting detection, Auto High Beam switch, and associated wire harnesses. Not sure if it is even practical to retrofit within the reasonable costs. As far as the camera project, I have a separate writing on what I have done with surround view installations.
Thanks!
It looks like one would have to replace two computers in order to get the auto high beams working. I think that will be a project for another time if ever. Now just going to concentrate on getting RDCC and the cameras working.

89220-6A151
Computer, Multiplex Network Body
LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM-W(CONLIGHT & AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SYSTEM)

and

89940-60080
Computer Assy, Headlamp Swivel
HEADLAMP-AFS & DISCHARGE&LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM-W(CONLIGHT & AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SYSTEM)
Acrad (06-27-18)

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support