Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 03:24 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Thanks!
It looks like one would have to replace two computers in order to get the auto high beams working. I think that will be a project for another time if ever. Now just going to concentrate on getting RDCC and the cameras working.

89220-6A151
Computer, Multiplex Network Body
LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM-W(CONLIGHT & AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SYSTEM)

and

89940-60080
Computer Assy, Headlamp Swivel
HEADLAMP-AFS & DISCHARGE&LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM-W(CONLIGHT & AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SYSTEM)
You are correct, for 2010-2013, there is also the Swivel ECU, which has been eliminated for 2014+ models
Old 07-03-18, 12:05 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I picked up a cheap used OEM side mirror camera ($79) as well. I'll see if I can tap into the existing wiring connector after seeing success with front. I'll probably need to use some rubber grommets or something else to engineer how the OEM is mounted on bottom.
Where did you find it so cheap? I'm looking to add the driver side camera and I can only find it new with the mirror assembly for $600-700. I have a '13 with the driver support package and hoping it'll be plug and play. I'll remove my driver door panel to double check if the plug is there or not before I get the camera, but at the prices I found it's not worth it.

Old 07-03-18, 12:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Where did you find it so cheap? I'm looking to add the driver side camera and I can only find it new with the mirror assembly for $600-700. I have a '13 with the driver support package and hoping it'll be plug and play. I'll remove my driver door panel to double check if the plug is there or not before I get the camera, but at the prices I found it's not worth it.
Just a lucky used find on eBay.. I might be selling the two side cameras I have. I am thinking about some other aftermarket options.
Old 07-03-18, 12:24 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Just a lucky used find on eBay.. I might be selling the two side cameras I have. I am thinking about some other aftermarket options.
So you have the driver's side OEM camera? How much are you looking to get for it?

Would it be plug in play if I install the MTS module (already ordered) and have the driver support package with Front & Passenger cameras, LDA, radar cruise, pre-collision etc?
Old 07-03-18, 06:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Actually my cameras are passenger side but I believe wiring harness is the same. One is from a 460 and one is from a 570. I haven't firmly decided but am thinking I want something higher resolution.

Can't say plug and play... it's more than the MTS module but since you already have an equipped vehicle it may just work. I'm gonna have to think back now but I think it was related to Park Assist module.

I'm looking into this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...a-systems.html
Old 07-03-18, 07:05 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Actually my cameras are passenger side but I believe wiring harness is the same. One is from a 460 and one is from a 570. I haven't firmly decided but am thinking I want something higher resolution.

Can't say plug and play... it's more than the MTS module but since you already have an equipped vehicle it may just work. I'm gonna have to think back now but I think it was related to Park Assist module.

I'm looking into this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...a-systems.html
I think I'll have time this weekend to pull the driver's door panel off and I'll see if I've got the plug for the camera. If it's there I'll take pics so we can compare the plug. I've got one of those rca universal rear view cameras laying around, do you think I could cut the wire and temporarily splice it to the plug as a test if it'll accept video?
Old 07-03-18, 07:52 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Ramacher
So you have the driver's side OEM camera? How much are you looking to get for it?

Would it be plug in play if I install the MTS module (already ordered) and have the driver support package with Front & Passenger cameras, LDA, radar cruise, pre-collision etc?
The Park Assist ECU is the key component to support all the cameras. There is also the software component that works with MTS Monitor which will be able to display proper information while the MTS and Crawl enabled. One thing that you can see if your firmware supports additional camera, entering camera calibration menu ( the procedure should be on this thread), if there is no additional camera parameters available, the chance is not going to a plug and play. Many of us here added MTS and Crawl and tried to see if the camera calibration parameters changed, unfortunately they were not affected. It could be just ECU, but there are so many variables, it is very hard to pin point where to make them retrofit. But at least if you can find if there is pre-exsiting camera harness on driver side door would be the first step.
Old 08-06-18, 02:14 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts
Default wiring diagrams

I plan to add a front cam, use an independent processor to split screen view the front and back at the same time, and then later add side cams and use the turn signals to activate them. I have a 2012 GX460 premium with NAV and ML. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the GX without the steering controls and without the side cams? I'm specifically looking for the connectors, pins/wires, and signals for the rear video signal and the trigger to switch the monitor to the camera.

Also, does anyone know if the camera is continually powered or if it is switched on only when needed?

I searched but didn't find the answers, and I thought I would ask here since it's related before I break out the volt meter.
Thank you, John.
Old 08-06-18, 04:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Pretty sure they only go live when switched..... stock gear you need a front and side connected.

You can access some wiring diagrams here as DIYer.

http://revbase.com/bbbmotor/

Originally Posted by John00
I plan to add a front cam, use an independent processor to split screen view the front and back at the same time, and then later add side cams and use the turn signals to activate them. I have a 2012 GX460 premium with NAV and ML. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the GX without the steering controls and without the side cams? I'm specifically looking for the connectors, pins/wires, and signals for the rear video signal and the trigger to switch the monitor to the camera.

Also, does anyone know if the camera is continually powered or if it is switched on only when needed?

I searched but didn't find the answers, and I thought I would ask here since it's related before I break out the volt meter.
Thank you, John.
Old 08-06-18, 07:04 PM
John00
Racer

Thank you for the quick response. Once I get some traction I'll start a thread unless for some reason it is wanted to be added here.
Old 08-07-18, 11:57 AM
hzhao
Racer

Thank you, John.
The camera is actually switched on with ignition on.
Old 08-07-18, 12:34 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by hzhao
From what I read earlier today, CB+ (rear camera power source) to GND1 is 5.5 to 7.05V only when IG is on and shift lever is in R. I have not checked personally. I don't have front or side cams, I have park assist with rear view cam.
Most aftermarket cams will work down to about 6V. Under 6V and the signal becomes static. There's a voltage regulation circuit in the wire that needs addressed in order to use the standard 12V cam with 5-7V in Lexus.

If you leave the standard 12V cam powered on continually, this area in the wire gets warm. In my case, I'm thinking to use a standard 12V cam added to the front, and have it hooked to the parking switch signal and also a push button. This will allow it to turn on both in reverse and when the button is pushed. I'll be using a horizontal split screen, top will be front and bottom will be rear. I don't want to mess with switches, I had considered an autoswitch circuit including turn signals and side cams but maybe in the future. I want to be able to see both front and back regardless of gear.

I'm undecided if I care that the reverse lights will be on when not in reverse but both cams on. Any thoughts? From anyone?

Someone's circuit for another Toyota application showing voltage regulator circuitry and a mod circuit. I would have just changed the regulator or used a couple of resistors, but I wanted to share the pic.
Old 08-07-18, 04:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hzhao
hzhao: Do you mean just the rear camera? On mine that stock front camera input near grille never gave me any voltage readings
Old 08-07-18, 04:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

hzhao: Do you mean just the rear camera? On mine that stock front camera input near grille never gave me any voltage readings
You could be correct since I have no front camera prewired harness to check. For the reverse camera, the power is on with the IG. The reverse trigger signal only switch the display input. When I did my surround view, I have all the cameras powered with IG. Just to emphasize this, power with IG not ACC.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-07-18)
Old 08-07-18, 05:06 PM
hzhao
Racer

From what I read earlier today, CB+ (rear camera power source) to GND1 is 5.5 to 7.05V only when IG is on and shift lever is in R. I have not checked personally. I don't have front or side cams, I have park assist with rear view cam.
Most aftermarket cams will work down to about 6V. Under 6V and the signal becomes static. There's a voltage regulation circuit in the wire that needs addressed in order to use the standard 12V cam with 5-7V in Lexus.

If you leave the standard 12V cam powered on continually, this area in the wire gets warm. In my case, I'm thinking to use a standard 12V cam added to the front, and have it hooked to the parking switch signal and also a push button. This will allow it to turn on both in reverse and when the button is pushed. I'll be using a horizontal split screen, top will be front and bottom will be rear. I don't want to mess with switches, I had considered an autoswitch circuit including turn signals and side cams but maybe in the future. I want to be able to see both front and back regardless of gear.

I'm undecided if I care that the reverse lights will be on when not in reverse but both cams on. Any thoughts? From anyone?

Someone's circuit for another Toyota application showing voltage regulator circuitry and a mod circuit. I would have just changed the regulator or used a couple of resistors, but I wanted to share the pic.
Here is what I have done for adding surround view to my 2014 GX, may provide some reference for you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...completed.html

The following users liked this post:
John00 (08-07-18)

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support