GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 05:43 PM
TomCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi hzhao, I'm also interested your mod for extra power and usb in glove box and for 2nd row, rear set entertainment system as well(I've 2 little ones like movie/bd/dvd and if can use usb files is better). If there is thread, do you mind to point it to me?

Besides, if you have parts provider in China, do mind share with us? The front oem cam alone is about ~$1k if order in us.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-10-18, 06:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCruiser
Hi hzhao, I'm also interested your mod for extra power and usb in glove box and for 2nd row, rear set entertainment system as well(I've 2 little ones like movie/bd/dvd and if can use usb files is better). If there is thread, do you mind to point it to me?

Besides, if you have parts provider in China, do mind share with us? The front oem cam alone is about ~$1k if order in us.

Thanks a lot!
Here is the thread about adding power outlets. What I have done is actually added two for the rear seats passages, but also added one more in the center storage bin. Which is essentially the same area, just drill one more into the bin.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html

As to the vendor for whom I used for sourcing the parts, I have no problem to share the name and phone number to you. Just send me a PM to avoid violation of the forum. One thing do keep in mind, the vendor can only communicate in Chinese. Also, I had the convenience at the time when I was traveling between US and China, and made the transaction a little easier. But in either way, I will be more than happy to share those information with you.
Old 10-28-18, 08:18 AM
GadgetDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2016 GX460 Premium with the factory parking aid sensors. Currently for a front camera I have an aftermarket camera in the front grill which I have routed in and connected to the A/V input. This works but is a hassle having to switch to that input and depress the parking brake some and switch the input back when done each time.
The connector for the front camera is not present in the parking aid sensors harness like pictured above but the wiring is present up to the connector with the white latch below the driver side headlight which you can see in one of the pictures of a crashed GX with the front end gone. It is hanging there in front of the driver side front tire.
I want to connect this camera's video signal there and trigger it on the parking assist ecu where the light blue wire goes into that pin 7 but my parking assist has a lot more connectors than pictured above for the ones older than 2014.
Does anyone have access to the parking assist ecu on a 2016 GX?
Thanks

From round monitor steering wheel switch at parking assist ecu.

Picture of my parking assist ecu.
Old 10-28-18, 11:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I kinda dropped off the radar on this mod for my '12 since wiring for side mirrors wasn't present in doors of all model years without feature and if I recall you need at least two cameras (front and either side) for this to go live after you have replaced the steering wheel switch. IIRC just having the front camera won't work.
Old 10-28-18, 05:52 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I kinda dropped off the radar on this mod for my '12 since wiring for side mirrors wasn't present in doors of all model years without feature and if I recall you need at least two cameras (front and either side) for this to go live after you have replaced the steering wheel switch. IIRC just having the front camera won't work.
If I am remember correctly Park Assist ECUs are also different depends on if you have the Driver Support Package or not, despite the physical shape looked same.
Old 10-29-18, 06:08 AM
GadgetDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your responses. I have looked on several Lexus parts lookup sites and to me it looks like all 2014 - 2018 GX models have the same part number of 86792-60570 for the parking assist computer regardless of options which looks hopeful.
The spiral cable between the steering wheel and column is different between my Premium and the Luxury so I was not going to try to add the steering wheel switch but just use a button like this in one of the blanks to trigger it if it would works.
Amazon Amazon
Has anyone actually tried to apply power to the trigger pin on the parking assist ecu to see what happens yet. I wanted to see if it brings up the screen with 2 blank images for the front and side cameras or an error message for each saying missing camera or one big error or something.
At this point I am just trying to add the front camera if possible because it sounds like the side cameras will be a lot more hassle.
As you can see from the picture there are a lot of light blue wires on the parking assist ecu and finding pin 7 on the right spot is where I am stuck.
Thanks
Old 11-23-18, 05:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Ramacher: I think this one scenario that was never explored further. Since you have an equipped Driver Support vehicle still possible you may be able to add the driver side camera with just a replacement mirror. Did you ever get a chance to open door up and see?

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Where did you find it so cheap? I'm looking to add the driver side camera and I can only find it new with the mirror assembly for $600-700. I have a '13 with the driver support package and hoping it'll be plug and play. I'll remove my driver door panel to double check if the plug is there or not before I get the camera, but at the prices I found it's not worth it.
Old 11-23-18, 05:55 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

I attempted adding the front also, I was willing to use a switch since it would rarely be used. There is a connector by the passenger right foot that I shorted two pins, setting it into reverse. This was to see if I could trigger the cam on the display, then I would work on changing the input from back to front. The reverse lights came on, the mirrors went down, but the screen did not show the camera. I couldn't find the proper wiring for a 2012 Premium, what I have for wiring diagrams did not match what I found inside. I also tried a splitter, to get both to show at the same time, but it wouldn't work with the camera. I did not try to use a video input, I was trying to switch camera input signals to the monitor, this would eliminate the need to do the brake pedal rigamarole.
With a NAV bypass, maybe the video in is an option. No brake pedal work necessary, just a couple of phone presses on my version of the bypass.
BLSW above, maybe that's what I need to find on mine? Does your switch just connect BLSW to +12vdc? I can get it into reverse, but I don't know if either it is the camera not getting power or the monitor not being told to display the camera signal.

If the Tesla style interface works out well, that might be a great way to add the front or even side cameras. Not sure yet what all it could support either as shipped or with aftermarket apps.

Last edited by John00; 11-23-18 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 07:10 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
I attempted adding the front also, I was willing to use a switch since it would rarely be used. There is a connector by the passenger right foot that I shorted two pins, setting it into reverse. This was to see if I could trigger the cam on the display, then I would work on changing the input from back to front. The reverse lights came on, the mirrors went down, but the screen did not show the camera. I couldn't find the proper wiring for a 2012 Premium, what I have for wiring diagrams did not match what I found inside. I also tried a splitter, to get both to show at the same time, but it wouldn't work with the camera. I did not try to use a video input, I was trying to switch camera input signals to the monitor, this would eliminate the need to do the brake pedal rigamarole.
With a NAV bypass, maybe the video in is an option. No brake pedal work necessary, just a couple of phone presses on my version of the bypass.
BLSW above, maybe that's what I need to find on mine? Does your switch just connect BLSW to +12vdc? I can get it into reverse, but I don't know if either it is the camera not getting power or the monitor not being told to display the camera signal.

If the Tesla style interface works out well, that might be a great way to add the front or even side cameras. Not sure yet what all it could support either as shipped or with aftermarket apps.
The Tesla Style Console that I am going to test has the camera input for front and side, which you can initiate the camera view on the screen. however, it will not give you the 360 degree view meaning those sources are only displayed one at a time and can be smithed between, nor system has the module to combine and stitch together camera images.
Old 11-23-18, 09:21 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
The Tesla Style Console that I am going to test has the camera input for front and side, which you can initiate the camera view on the screen. however, it will not give you the 360 degree view meaning those sources are only displayed one at a time and can be smithed between, nor system has the module to combine and stitch together camera images.
Yes, the one you are going to test. Perfect, exactly what I want! The module I had worked with other video signals, but not with the aftermarket camera. I never got around to connecting it to the GX, because it didn't pass the bench test with my other parts. I only was going to the module to avoid wiring another switch, the tablet will be perfect for my use.

Last edited by John00; 11-23-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 12:25 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Ramacher: I think this one scenario that was never explored further. Since you have an equipped Driver Support vehicle still possible you may be able to add the driver side camera with just a replacement mirror. Did you ever get a chance to open door up and see?
It completely fell off my radar but thanks for reminding me!

I took off the outer mirror covers on both sides and it doesn't look good. Passenger side mirror has 4 wires for the camera that the driver side does not. I guess if it were possible at all, there'll be a different Driver Side Mirror Control Module that has the needed wires. The plug going into the control module has a solid yellow wire which is what looks like is needed for the camera. What do you yall think?

Passenger Side Mirror and Camera Wires

Driver Side Mirror Backside

Driver Side Mirror Wires

Driver Side Mirror Bottom

Driver Side Mirror Control Module

Driver Side Mirror Control Module Plug

Passenger Mirror Camera

Driver Side Mirror Backside

Driver Side Door
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 12:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Ramacher: Thanks for checking. It would be interesting to see what the inside door panel looks like on konc3pt
's Canadan Ultra Premium. It has the driver camera. I know not everyone is eager to remove trim on their vehicles though especially on any newly acquired vehicle.
Old 11-23-18, 01:02 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Update: It has nothing to do with the Outer Mirror Control Module. I opened up my passenger door and its 4 wires (White, Red, Brown, Black) separated from the rest of the wiring loom/harness that I don't have on the driver side. So now I guess I have to see if the module that the cameras plug into has pins for the driver side.

Passenger Side Door

Passenger Side Door Camera Wires

Passenger Side Door Camera Wires

Passenger Side Camera Wires

Driver Side Door Wires Missing Camera Wires

Driver Side Door Wires Missing Camera Wires
The following 3 users liked this post by Ramacher:
Acrad (11-23-18), HedgeFund (12-06-18), John00 (11-23-18)
Old 11-23-18, 01:04 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Ramacher: Thanks for checking. It would be interesting to see what the inside door panel looks like on konc3pt
's Canadan Ultra Premium. It has the driver camera. I know not everyone is eager to remove trim on their vehicles though especially on any newly acquired vehicle.
See my updated post above. Took pics of the right side door panel with camera wires. Where's the module that the cameras plug into located? I may have an aftermarket rear view camera laying around that I can wire up to the module to see if it'll detect it.
Old 11-23-18, 01:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I thought they plugged into the Parking Assist module in the front passenger dash area.

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support