GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tire Rub

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 07:49 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tire Rub

i have a 2015 and just installed some 265/70/18 KO2's, it is rubbing a little bit on hard right turns or flexing. i could see signs of it on the rear inside bolt so i removed this. it seemed to have corrected it for a short time until i started noticing the flap was folding in on itself rubbing again. i filed the bolt down quite a bit and still getting a slight rub. i am also seeing signs of rubbing on the upper control arm on both sides. the noise i hear though doesn't sound like tire on metal but i can see a clean spot. these tires aren't wider than the factory ones though, i only went a little taller so not sure why UCA is causing issues. i don't have the funds just yet to install a lift so i am curious how everyone else correct rubbing issues?
Old 02-26-18, 08:14 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

If it’s rubbing on the control arm, you may fix it with wheel spacers. If it’s rubbing on the wheel liners then heat gun.
Old 02-27-18, 07:03 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

It's exactly as you describe - when you see rub marks in your wheel well, then address the issue. If it's plastic, then cut. If its metal, then you can space, grind, cut or ignore depending on the severity. Wheel spacers may help clear the UCA, but they may create another rubbing issue in the outer fender.
Old 02-27-18, 07:48 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

I am hoping to avoid wheel spacers. I believe those were the cause of warped rotors on my last vehicle.
I filed down that bolt even more last night and colored it with a black sharpie, this will let me know if it is still rubbing on it. I would like to remove the washer but I believe its needed to keep the flap in place. I am not finding any signs of rubbing any where else on the fender. this is first I have noticed on the UCA's too. I have had the tires on about 2 weeks and all other times I was checking I never noticed them there.
my drive in to work I didn't experience any issues. ill know more when I go home since I take several hard rights and at downward angle. a small lift will help, but by time I get a lift installed the tires will have worn down enough
Old 02-27-18, 10:46 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow, you are running 33" without even a lift and I thought that is impossible. Per your description, the rubs are not that bad at all. I am interested.

Can you please get some pics? Thanks.
Old 02-27-18, 11:51 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

these come out to 32.6", the rubbing is very slight but still annoying. I noticed it again during my lunch break, not understanding why its only on right turns. left turns don't seem to be an issue. I am going to chalk the UCA I think tonight if I get time and see if that's where its hitting. I may also remove the bolts completely and ghetto tape the flap down to test if this is the cause.

here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Tire Rub-gxtires1.jpg   Tire Rub-gxtires2.jpg   Tire Rub-gxtires3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GoHuskers (02-27-18)
Old 03-02-18, 12:22 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

i colored the bolts and went a day of driving. it was rubbing so bad and embarrassing. when i got home i removed the bolts and the sharpie ink was gone on the inside part of the bolt. this must be the biggest rub area. i left them out and duct taped the flap down (its the capped piece to the front of the running board). today so far no rubbing on my short drives.

i went to Lowes and bought a carriage bolt since its a flat head in the same size 1/4 * 1/4 bolt but it doesn't fit. its same thread pattern and size but for whatever reason it wont thread. if the bolt is the reason for rubbing i need to figure out a way to keep the flap down without the bolt but not look ghetto
Old 03-02-18, 12:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
i colored the bolts and went a day of driving. it was rubbing so bad and embarrassing. when i got home i removed the bolts and the sharpie ink was gone on the inside part of the bolt. this must be the biggest rub area. i left them out and duct taped the flap down (its the capped piece to the front of the running board). today so far no rubbing on my short drives.

i went to Lowes and bought a carriage bolt since its a flat head in the same size 1/4 * 1/4 bolt but it doesn't fit. its same thread pattern and size but for whatever reason it wont thread. if the bolt is the reason for rubbing i need to figure out a way to keep the flap down without the bolt but not look ghetto

Some one reported that Lexus replaced his bolt with a flat one and it helped with rubbing. You may want to try Lexus dealer to see if they have something similar in stock
leftyguns (03-04-18)
Old 03-02-18, 12:55 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

How about a picture of the problem area?

This is a Japanese truck so the bolts will all be metric. Try an M6 instead. Or cut more plastic out of the way.
Old 03-02-18, 07:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Some one reported that Lexus replaced his bolt with a flat one and it helped with rubbing. You may want to try Lexus dealer to see if they have something similar in stock
I removed the bolt and I think several here have. No problem with leaving it out. I may look for an alternative bolt though.
Old 03-04-18, 07:19 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

i removed the bolt completely, but the corner that it goes in keeps folding in causing issues. i have tried various bolts in the automotive bin at Lowes. none are fitting snug enough to keep it in place. only the passenger side is having the issue, or at least causing the most. i tried some super glue. hoping it will hold it in place
Attached Thumbnails Tire Rub-img_0471.jpg  
Old 03-05-18, 05:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

i removed the bolt completely, but the corner that it goes in keeps folding in causing issues. i have tried various bolts in the automotive bin at Lowes. none are fitting snug enough to keep it in place. only the passenger side is having the issue, or at least causing the most. i tried some super glue. hoping it will hold it in place
Nothing good in my miscellaneous screw box so I thought I would use my go to common screw...

I used this 1-1/4 inch coarse sheet rock screw tonight and it is a snug fit. It is a smaller diameter so I my be screwing deeper into the plastic anchor. Pic shows a nice flush fit with this and I recommend coating the screw threads with a good thick plastic sealant (not super glue ).

Amazon Amazon

No washer on this and it could be a fail.. Just a shot

leftyguns (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 07:48 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

@tecman i am trying to use a self tapping/overall screw as last resort. i stopped by Lexus today but they didn't have any bolts with smaller head. the Lowes had screws for every single american car but lacks on the imports =/
the super glue was just what i had on hand for now. seems to be holding though. I will do more permanent solution soon