GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 GX460 Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 03:44 PM
18GX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blazers420
Looking good Ged. When you planning on doing the lift?
Thanks bro! I am so tempted on pulling the trigger, but I'm more concerned about my warranty

Originally Posted by Nickk6
OEM tire is about 40lbs and BFG K02 is about 55lbs for 275 or 58lbs for 285/70/17. Adding 20lbs to each corner of the vehicle will be noticeable, how much of an affect is totally going to be personal preference. I think the GX is a tad underpowered, but I really didn't need a quick car, so the added weight isn't a problem.
I agree with you. The GX is a tad underpowered and the added weight isn't a problem to me at all either.

I am most likely just going to try and find a used set of running boards and just cut those up. I honestly miss the running boards lights too. lol.

Here are some pictures I took real quick a few days ago before it started raining. I applied gloss black vinyl to the front bumper inserts. For now, I am keeping it how it is (some chrome pieces, some gloss black pieces). I will change it up eventually when I get bored of the look

Old 03-22-18, 04:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Looking good 18GX
Old 03-22-18, 05:13 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 18GX
Thanks bro! I am so tempted on pulling the trigger, but I'm more concerned about my warranty

I am most likely just going to try and find a used set of running boards and just cut those up. I honestly miss the running boards lights too. lol.
If you are cool with your service writer, pay him a visit before you do the lift and get his opinions. My service writer knows about my car and takes care of everything for me since I get my car serviced by them.

I'd just cut your running boards now and throw them on lol. When you are ready to sell your rig in a few years, hunt for some used ones then.
The following users liked this post:
18GX (03-22-18)
Old 03-22-18, 05:59 PM
18GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Looking good 18GX
Thank you!

If you are cool with your service writer, pay him a visit before you do the lift and get his opinions. My service writer knows about my car and takes care of everything for me since I get my car serviced by them.

I'd just cut your running boards now and throw them on lol. When you are ready to sell your rig in a few years, hunt for some used ones then.
You know what...you're right. lol. I'll try and cut the running boards this weekend and post up some pictures. I feel like it will complete the look with the Metal Tech sliders.

I will definitely talk to the service writer when I get my first service at 5,000 miles. I'm at 1,7XX right now lol. Thanks for the help bro!
Old 03-22-18, 07:17 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Thank you!

You know what...you're right. lol. I'll try and cut the running boards this weekend and post up some pictures. I feel like it will complete the look with the Metal Tech sliders.

I will definitely talk to the service writer when I get my first service at 5,000 miles. I'm at 1,7XX right now lol. Thanks for the help bro!
I'm looking forward to your pics. This vehicle should last for a very, very long time..why would you worry about selling it?
Your GX has convinced me to order the window visors and 17's looking good on it! I ordered 265/70-17 tires myself, should be here tomorrow..just waiting on wheels to arrive. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-22-18, 08:32 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Thank you!

If you don’t want to cut your running board, contact these guys see if they are cheap
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ptd...538477876.html

edit: found the price
RUNNING BOARD SKU# - 122.LE1214 WHITE PASSENGER RUNNING BOARD - Parts# 374441 @ $220.00

Last edited by bbqsoup; 03-22-18 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 07:32 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

that blacked out grill looks great. do you have to remove the chrome or can you wrap it while on the car?
the running board lights I'm sure you can re-route/mount underneath.

I checked with my dealer before I purchased the car/extended warranty. they said a lift will not void warranty unless its done improper or affected the OEM functionality.
Old 03-23-18, 02:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

18GX.... as for maintaining the underside lights...

As you can see with this one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137666911@N08/sets/72157663457364517/

The bottom lights were maintained. I would do the same too.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mee...gx460.1046189/

Last edited by Acrad; 03-24-18 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 06:53 PM
18GX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msgs350
I'm looking forward to your pics. This vehicle should last for a very, very long time..why would you worry about selling it?
Your GX has convinced me to order the window visors and 17's looking good on it! I ordered 265/70-17 tires myself, should be here tomorrow..just waiting on wheels to arrive. Keep up the good work!
Haha thanks! Post a picture when you get them on!

Originally Posted by bbqsoup

If you don’t want to cut your running board, contact these guys see if they are cheap
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ptd...538477876.html

edit: found the price
RUNNING BOARD SKU# - 122.LE1214 WHITE PASSENGER RUNNING BOARD - Parts# 374441 @ $220.00
Thanks! I ended up cutting my stock running boards!

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
18GX.... as for maintaining the underside lights...

As you can see with this one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137666911@N08/sets/72157663457364517/

The bottom lights were maintained. I would do the same too.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mee...gx460.1046189/

Thanks! I’m still trying to figure out a way to attach the running board lights to the rockers/running boards. Will let you know what I do!
Old 03-25-18, 07:13 PM
18GX
Driver School Candidate

Over the weekend, I went through a small patch of dirt/mud for the first time! Tires were amazing!

I also decided to cut the stock running boards today. I bought and used a small dremel from Harbor Freight. I don’t know what I was thinking, but I thought I would be able to install the cut up running boards with the Metal Tech sliders on. I was wrong. I will have to take off the sliders, install the running boards, and probably cut a little more of it to sit flush with the Metal Tech sliders. I’m also going to try and fabricate something so that I can attach the running board lights onto the slider/running board. If anyone has done this before or have any suggestions, it would be gladly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-26-18, 09:36 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Sorry, I should have mentioned there are 2 methods to the side steps. Let me just emphasize, I do love my car, I am just not worried about minor scuffing, in my younger OCD days, I would not have done my route. If you open the doors you can kind of jimmy the side step out without removing the sliders. The sliders were such a pain to install I didn't want to remove them when I realized I had not cut the rocker/steps enough. I marked them with a sharpie and then wrestled them out, cut and pressed them back in between the slider and the door. It was crude and may have scuffed just the rocker as I was careful with the painted metal surface, but I did not look close nor I have seen anything when washing the car (still **** enough to only hand wash myself).

With that said, looking at your side step, you got quiet a bit of meat left to cut off, when I get home I'll see if I have any pics showing how much I cut.

As far as the lighting goes, you can use the holes where the OE side steps mounted and make a bracket that the lights can be mounted to.

Last edited by Nickk6; 03-26-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 11:02 AM
18GX
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I should have mentioned there are 2 methods to the side steps. Let me just emphasize, I do love my car, I am just not worried about minor scuffing, in my younger OCD days, I would not have done my route. If you open the doors you can kind of jimmy the side step out without removing the sliders. The sliders were such a pain to install I didn't want to remove them when I realized I had not cut the rocker/steps enough. I marked them with a sharpie and then wrestled them out, cut and pressed them back in between the slider and the door. It was crude and may have scuffed just the rocker as I was careful with the painted metal surface, but I did not look close nor I have seen anything when washing the car (still **** enough to only hand wash myself).

With that said, looking at your side step, you got quiet a bit of meat left to cut off, when I get home I'll see if I have any pics showing how much I cut.

As far as the lighting goes, you can use the holes where the OE side steps mounted and make a bracket that the lights can be mounted to.
Thanks for the quick response!!
I figured I had a lot of cutting still left to do. Haha. I wanted to make sure to cut little by little since I'm not that much of a DIY guy to be honest.
I think I will try and slip it on with the sliders on since I'm pretty lazy to take them off, but I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!
Old 03-30-18, 09:59 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick response!!
I figured I had a lot of cutting still left to do. Haha. I wanted to make sure to cut little by little since I'm not that much of a DIY guy to be honest.
I think I will try and slip it on with the sliders on since I'm pretty lazy to take them off, but I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!
I'm not a big DIY'er when it comes to cutting body panels up on a new car either lol. Went to check my cut job out and looks like the mud that gets between the rocker and the slider rubbed thru my powder coat. I'll be removing the rockers, clearing some more material and painting the sliders. So make sure you clear enough material. This isn't too big of a deal though, looks like the underside has quiet a bit of rock chipping in 6 months, but that's with probably 30 hours of trail time.
Old 05-03-18, 10:58 PM
Tking503
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Just purchased a 2018 premium Sunday, and just found your thread. I see a lot of parallels to what I plan on doing. Chrome delete is scheduled, rims are on the way. I subscribed to track your progress great stuff so far.
Old 05-15-18, 07:30 AM
munch520
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tking503
Just purchased a 2018 premium Sunday, and just found your thread. I see a lot of parallels to what I plan on doing. Chrome delete is scheduled, rims are on the way. I subscribed to track your progress great stuff so far.
Ditto here, we're still nailing down what boat we want so have yet to confirm the GX460 purchase for sure. But 99% we'll end up with a CPO GX460 Luxury. VTX wheels and beefier tires will be going on as soon as we buy (per wife's request actually...score!). This thread is motivation, especially as we'll likely end up with a white one. Lookin good OP!

Quick Reply: 2018 GX460 Project Car