GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

[Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 10:50 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Be advised there is this process you have to go through with used keys like that $115 one. I’m not sure offhand about ABB

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10165810
Old 07-21-19, 11:05 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Be advised there is this process you have to go through with used keys like that $115 one. I’m not sure offhand about ABB

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10165810
I found a listing on ebay that unlocks/resets used keys for $17.50.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-21-19)
Old 08-06-19, 01:10 AM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did that reset work for you? I have 2 used keys i could use a reset
Old 08-06-19, 03:56 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by alexzxn
did that reset work for you? I have 2 used keys i could use a reset
I never did try it. Didn't but the used/cheaper key card because I haven't received confirmation it works with my gx.

I think the differences between the FCC IDs of the fobs/key cards is FM vs AM and the cheaper one is AM and won't work with my car but need to do a bit more research.
Old 08-07-19, 12:58 PM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ramacher
I never did try it. Didn't but the used/cheaper key card because I haven't received confirmation it works with my gx.

I think the differences between the FCC IDs of the fobs/key cards is FM vs AM and the cheaper one is AM and won't work with my car but need to do a bit more research.
cool thanks for letting me know
Old 08-07-19, 07:42 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

cool thanks for letting me know
I just purchased a used HYQ14AEB key card on eBay for $125. I'm gonna give it a shot with techstream but it it doesn't work then I'll be doing that $17.50 reset option. If I don't post an update in a week or so, ping me and I'll let you know what happened.
Old 08-08-19, 03:25 AM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a used HYQ14AEB key card on eBay for $125. I'm gonna give it a shot with techstream but it it doesn't work then I'll be doing that $17.50 reset option. If I don't post an update in a week or so, ping me and I'll let you know what happened.
I am looking for solutions as well I don't think they can reset these keys (the ones i talked to cannot). Seems the only way to use these used keys is to purchase tokens to re-register all the keys for the car rather than just reset the credit card key itself. anyway i'll post my findings as well if I can figure out any solutions.
Old 08-08-19, 06:18 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

If I am not mistake, the so call “reset” code and process is to clear the registration on the car! Therefore, the “reset” process will clear all the keys have been resisted for a particular car. You will have to add keys that you have back into the system one at a time.

The process is designed for dealer or reseller to make sure the new owner of the car won’t have to worry about if there is someone out there to have another key that can be used on your car. For the same reason, if you lost a key that you want to make sure that lost key can never be used on your ca again, you would want do a reset and re-add only those keys that you have.

Not sure if you can actually reset a key that is still linked to other car, then use it for your car.

I could be wrong if we are talking about different “reset” options that is available.
Old 08-09-19, 06:56 AM
(f)-LEX-ible
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earlier in the week, I took my 2014 LS460 and my new card key to an independent Lexus repair shop for them the program the key to the car. I thought it would be easy-peasey. They couldn't do it!!! I pulled up this thread and others to show them that it could be done. They were baffled!

Does anyone know of an independent Lexus repair shop in metro Atlanta that knows how to program the card key?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-19, 08:56 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by (f)-LEX-ible
Earlier in the week, I took my 2014 LS460 and my new card key to an independent Lexus repair shop for them the program the key to the car. I thought it would be easy-peasey. They couldn't do it!!! I pulled up this thread and others to show them that it could be done. They were baffled!

Does anyone know of an independent Lexus repair shop in metro Atlanta that knows how to program the card key?

Thanks in advance!
Show them the video earlier in this thread where they programmed the key. If they have the techstream software and the key is correct for your car, it should only take 5 minutes or less.
Old 08-10-19, 01:52 AM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
If I am not mistake, the so call “reset” code and process is to clear the registration on the car! Therefore, the “reset” process will clear all the keys have been resisted for a particular car. You will have to add keys that you have back into the system one at a time.

The process is designed for dealer or reseller to make sure the new owner of the car won’t have to worry about if there is someone out there to have another key that can be used on your car. For the same reason, if you lost a key that you want to make sure that lost key can never be used on your ca again, you would want do a reset and re-add only those keys that you have.

Not sure if you can actually reset a key that is still linked to other car, then use it for your car.

I could be wrong if we are talking about different “reset” options that is available.
You are absolutely right. If the key (virgin) has never been used/registered with any other car, the programming process is super simple just add it through TechStream as the video showed above. However, there is a way to reset/virgin-ize an used key fob basically make it easier to program. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to do the same process with an used credit card key.
Old 08-10-19, 01:55 AM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by (f)-LEX-ible

Thanks in advance!
Try replace the battery first, it dies pretty fast. It's CR2412.
Old 08-17-19, 02:29 AM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

I tried to re-seed the used credit card key but failed. Have you make any progress?
Old 08-17-19, 09:24 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

I tried to re-seed the used credit card key but failed. Have you make any progress?
Haven't received the key card yet. Tracking says estimated arrival was yesterday but it's still in transit :/

What problem/issue are you having?
Old 08-19-19, 11:58 PM
alexzxn
Driver School Candidate

Haven't received the key card yet. Tracking says estimated arrival was yesterday but it's still in transit :/

What problem/issue are you having?
After the reseeding it still won't program the used key

Quick Reply: [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming