GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

[Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 06:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Bummer! Thanks for trying it out. If I get the wallet smartkey, I’m going to get one of those magnet holder thing and put one of the cut key in it and stick it to the bottom of the truck and then throw a few extra batteries into the glovebox.
Actually the battery hold up pretty well. I have used wallet key for my 2016 LX for two years now, no signs of weakness. My GX key fob battery has just replaced after 4 years. You will get the "Battery low" warning message displayed anyway, I am not too concerned of being locked out in most of circumstances. For long distance trip, I generally carry my key fob with me as a backup anyway.
Old 04-22-18, 02:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 887 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Bummer! Thanks for trying it out. If I get the wallet smartkey, I’m going to get one of those magnet holder thing and put one of the cut key in it and stick it to the bottom of the truck and then throw a few extra batteries into the glovebox.
I keep a metal key outside and a remote with batteries removed inside, also a jump starter and pry tools to help out a fellow motorists if they get locked out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...today-wtf.html

Old 12-07-18, 10:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Ordered Smart Card key for this mod.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 10:22 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Do you you also have a long metal rod to unlock the door? I saw how this pump work the first time last week at the mall parking lot on a Subaru and it literally took the guy less than 30 seconds. Wedge in door gap, give it about 10 pumps, stick the rod in and hit the lock/unlock button. Easy money LOL

I wonder where can I get a metal rod, it looks like aluminum as it could be bent very easy.

Originally Posted by tecman

I keep a metal key outside and a remote with batteries removed inside, also a jump starter and pry tools to help out a fellow motorists if they get locked out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...today-wtf.html

Old 12-07-18, 12:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 887 Likes on 615 Posts

I don't have the rod because I have so many similar tools on my truck for work. When it comes down to actually needing to do this I would probably regret not having something like this.
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-07-18, 05:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Adding a new key to the vehicle using Techstream

Steps:
Turn vehicle to ACC ON (2 button presses on the Push to Start)
Hook up USB to OBD
Start Techstream
Connect to the vehicle
Select the Year, Model, etc.
Wait for it to load/connect to vehicle……
Wait for it to load/connect to vehicle……
It’ll bring you to the “System Selection Menu”
Find “Smart Access” and double click
Click the blue colored “Utility” button (left hand side)
Look for “Smart Code Registration”
Follow the directions. You need to checkmark the boxes and click next.
Keep all the keys outside the vehicle.
Press the Start button and tap the original key to the push to start button, listen for the beep
Tap the new smart card key to the start button, listen for the beep.
You’re done.

In total the key programming took about 5 minutes. The dealer might charge 1 hour for programming.
On Red highlighted step above isn't the vehicle already in ACC ON mode? Aren't we just bringing the FOBs and Smart keys into touching distance again the START button? Just a little confused since this would put vehicle in OFF state if it means to really press START button again and TS would drop. Thanks!
Old 12-07-18, 07:23 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
On Red highlighted step above isn't the vehicle already in ACC ON mode? Aren't we just bringing the FOBs and Smart keys into touching distance again the START button? Just a little confused since this would put vehicle in OFF state if it means to really press START button again and TS would drop. Thanks!
Actually, it is more logical and easy to follow the on-screen prompt from Techstream. I think the description above is kind of confusing and it seems to me was written to explain what's on the screen..... The actual process is rather simple and straight forward. Took lesser than 5 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-08-18)
Old 12-11-18, 07:01 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

Has anyone done the opposite? Disable the keyfob system as theft prevention?
Old 12-11-18, 07:13 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
Has anyone done the opposite? Disable the keyfob system as theft prevention?
You will need to purchase a one time security code to erase any registered keys. Erase will remove all the keys. You will then to add back the ones that you need.
Old 12-11-18, 07:47 AM
John00
Racer

I mean to completely disable the system, or at least to have 0 keyfobs working. The hardware cost to spoof then steal them is now <$20. Where I live not a problem, but I remember the family that had 3 stolen
Old 12-11-18, 08:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Have you thought about keeping FOBs in a faraday cage bag? I thought they used some kind of amplification attack that still required a weak FOB signal emitted from the house if vehicle was outside.
Old 12-11-18, 08:35 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Have you thought about keeping FOBs in a faraday cage bag? I thought they used some kind of amplification attack that still required a weak FOB signal emitted from the house if vehicle was outside.
That's one type of attack. A magnetic logger underneath still captures the signal when you go to the car, which then can be accessed with a drive by download. Another type uses proximity as in a mall parking lot, in the case of the wallet key, the shielding might not be enough for the attack where they use dual devices (also takes two people).

Just wondering and don't want to change this thread course.
Old 12-13-18, 11:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received and programmed card last night. It is simple to program with Techstream and does take less than 5 minutes. I noticed with my 12.x version of TS there is also a listing for a classic smart key registration in the same utility area. I didn't use that one. I used the normal smart key registration. Not sure if anyone with a 10-13 has posted it working but if not confirms there aren't any issues with those years either.

PN: 89994-48142

Last edited by Acrad; 03-17-19 at 07:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (12-13-18), ObsidianBl (12-15-18)
Old 12-14-18, 11:06 AM
jojotheduc
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did this earlier today. Had some problems when I tried last week. Turned out the battery that came with the keycard must have been old.
The following 2 users liked this post by jojotheduc:
Acrad (12-14-18), ObsidianBl (12-15-18)
Old 12-14-18, 11:15 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to see more folks doing this mod. After a few weeks of the SmartKey in your wallet and an electronic touchpad lock on the house you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner....
The following 2 users liked this post by SigEpGX460:
Acrad (12-14-18), ObsidianBl (12-15-18)

Quick Reply: [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming