GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 GX Slim Running Boards / Rock Sliders / Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 01:44 PM
jobpatto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2012 GX Slim Running Boards / Rock Sliders / Etc.

Good day,

I don't mean to open a 'can of worms' as I have seen some past threads on people's attachment to the GX Running Boards. I will say that they blend beautifully with the vehicle and I have never seen any running boards that I like better.

That being said, I do some off-roading and the risk of damaging them is fairly high and limiting. I am interested in options for complete removal, slimmer models or rock-sliders that could replace them. I would be fine removing them completely however the way they mold into the front door makes it look terrible without them. I have done a bit of internet searching without a great deal of success. Does anyone have any advice or links to check out? I also want to be able to return it to complete factory condition. I am purchasing a set of modern 17" 4Runner wheels for a second set of wheels with BF Goodrich AT/TA KO2 tires. I am keeping the factory set to swap them out as desired. Thank you for your help.

-John

Last edited by jobpatto; 03-19-18 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 03-19-18, 03:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I don't have any personal experience myself.

This thread may have some more more info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...id-plates.html
Old 03-19-18, 03:29 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

You can cut your factory steps and use them or buy Prado rockers. Once you do that you can install some rock sliders from www.metaltech4x4.com. These do not make a good step as they are very close to the body, if you are looking for something to double as a step, you need to get a brand that sticks out further (can't think of any at the moment). I'd recommend not getting something with a lowered step as that can cause more damage if it gets hung up.
Old 03-19-18, 03:34 PM
blazers420
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jobpatto
Good day,

I don't mean to open a 'can of worms' as I have seen some past threads on people's attachment to the GX Running Boards. I will say that they blend beautifully with the vehicle and I have never seen any running boards that I like better.

That being said, I do some off-roading and the risk of damaging them is fairly high and limiting. I am interested in options for complete removal, slimmer models or rock-sliders that could replace them. I would be fine removing them completely however the way they mold into the front door makes it look terrible without them. I have done a bit of internet searching without a great deal of success. Does anyone have any advice or links to check out? I also want to be able to return it to complete factory condition. I am purchasing a set of modern 17" 4Runner wheels for a second set of wheels with BF Goodrich AT/TA KO2 tires. I am keeping the factory set to swap them out as desired. Thank you for your help.

-John
You can look into the Rocky Road Offroad sliders. They are super low profile. you can always trim your original running board and use the top portion to cover up the gap between the new rock sliders. But then you wont be able to return it to stock. To each his own, I like the gap look. But then again, I'm going for the rugged look.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-19-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:36 AM
jobpatto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nickk6
You can cut your factory steps and use them or buy Prado rockers. Once you do that you can install some rock sliders from www.metaltech4x4.com. These do not make a good step as they are very close to the body, if you are looking for something to double as a step, you need to get a brand that sticks out further (can't think of any at the moment). I'd recommend not getting something with a lowered step as that can cause more damage if it gets hung up.
Thanks, I don't want a step and the factory boards are too pretty to cut. I also want to be able to return to original condition. I am fine with no sliders as long as I can fill in the front door gap and make it look like nothing is missing. My 2000 4Runner boards come right off and look much better. I was hoping the GX was the same but obviously they can't with the way they are molded in.
Thanks, I don't need/want a step and the factory boards are too pretty to cut. I also want to be able to return to original condition. I am fine with no sliders as long as I can fill in the front door gap and make it look like nothing is missing. My 2000 4Runner boards come right off and look much better without. I was hoping the GX was the same but obviously they can't with the way they are molded in. I saw some images before I bought mine with running boards removed but they were either modified or a different body style.

Old 03-21-18, 10:33 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks, I don't want a step and the factory boards are too pretty to cut. I also want to be able to return to original condition. I am fine with no sliders as long as I can fill in the front door gap and make it look like nothing is missing. My 2000 4Runner boards come right off and look much better. I was hoping the GX was the same but obviously they can't with the way they are molded in.

Thanks, I don't need/want a step and the factory boards are too pretty to cut. I also want to be able to return to original condition. I am fine with no sliders as long as I can fill in the front door gap and make it look like nothing is missing. My 2000 4Runner boards come right off and look much better without. I was hoping the GX was the same but obviously they can't with the way they are molded in. I saw some images before I bought mine with running boards removed but they were either modified or a different body style.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pra...-on-gx.804148/ The Prado ones are ideal to cutting, I just didn't want to hassle ordering or storing my old side steps so I went with the chop method.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-21-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:16 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pra...-on-gx.804148/ The Prado ones are ideal to cutting, I just didn't want to hassle ordering or storing my old side steps so I went with the chop method.
Thanks for the link!
Old 03-22-18, 10:19 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I like sliders and had them on my last truck but man, you're right about the running boards on the GX. I think they integrated handsomely to the truck and are much nicer than most runningboards on other brands out there, even nicer looking than on Mercedes ML. They just look....great!
Old 03-26-19, 03:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Here is the Carmarka link that is posted on IH8Mud as well for those Prado moldings without steps.

https://carmarka.com/en/lexus-gx460-...m-tlgxoffrsspl

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
paui4m (03-28-19), SteveInCal (03-29-19)