GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Coolant Flush / Fluids / Questions / Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 07:06 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I see no signs of dried pink stuff anywhere.. tried looking at slid plate and looks clean from what I can see. But in no cars I've seen it drinking coolant like this.. i think i should take it to dealer, given that I've seen some complaints on cooler valley plate leak.

Old 11-23-20, 06:33 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
You could always take in and have them check it out or top off and keep an eye on it.

You shouldn't be losing noticeable fluid from recovery tank.
This is what I'd do with an older truck out of warranty. But if you are still in the drivetrain warranty, then next time you take it for service have them run a pressure test on the cooling system to determine if there's a leak somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jacket:
Acrad (11-23-20), nuclearn8 (11-23-20)
Old 01-01-21, 04:21 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Coolant paranoia

Since I bought my 2015 rig 2000 miles and a month ago, I’ve topped up the expansion tank twice since I found it empty and then today I topped up directly at the radiator for a total added volume of about 2 1/4 qt. I don’t know at this stage if the coolant use is due to the infamous coolant valley leak or that it was just low when I got it, but right now I’m more concerned about the color of the coolant from my refill of the radiator, see pic below. Since this is likely the original coolant, is it just due for a flush and refill or should I be more concerned about the milky brown color? Does this indicate significant wear or blown gasket?

I just got back from a 900mile trip through the mtns of NC and TN with no issues and the temp gauge was dead center the whole time.

Thx
Old 01-01-21, 04:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,666 Likes on 2,400 Posts

You may want to get a coolant system pressure test to confirm there aren't issues like a blown head gasket. How many miles are on vehicle? That coolant isn't very healthy looking.

What does your oil look like?
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (01-01-21)
Old 01-01-21, 04:48 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 612 Likes on 370 Posts

I would do a visual check for coolant leaks, remove all the skids and covers... use flashlight and mirror on a stick. Makes sure you look at the front and back of the engine thoroughly and use a mirror to check for the coolant valley leak.

-Send out engine oil for UOA to Blackstone
call them to see if theyll analyze your coolant as well. Not sure they will but cant hurt to ask. maybe they know someone that will...

Mark the expansion tank with a grease marker or tape to note the level. Drove it for a while and check it at the same temperature at 500 mile intervals... log your data. Reality is if the expansion tank is lowering, the coolant is going somewhere...

Old 01-01-21, 05:14 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

You may want to get a coolant system pressure test to confirm there aren't issues like a blown head gasket. How many miles are on vehicle? That coolant isn't very healthy looking.

What does your oil look like?
sorry, forgot to mention in my original post that the truck has 66,000 miles on it. Will look at doing a pressure test.

Also, oil had been replaced when I got it at 63k, and I replaced it at 65k since I didn’t know for sure that synthetic was used and the oil level on the dipstick indicated an overfill. Oil looked fine when I checked it between 63 and 65, honey color

Last edited by xychromo; 01-01-21 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 09:48 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,058 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
Since I bought my 2015 rig 2000 miles and a month ago, I’ve topped up the expansion tank twice since I found it empty and then today I topped up directly at the radiator for a total added volume of about 2 1/4 qt. I don’t know at this stage if the coolant use is due to the infamous coolant valley leak or that it was just low when I got it, but right now I’m more concerned about the color of the coolant from my refill of the radiator, see pic below. Since this is likely the original coolant, is it just due for a flush and refill or should I be more concerned about the milky brown color? Does this indicate significant wear or blown gasket?

I just got back from a 900mile trip through the mtns of NC and TN with no issues and the temp gauge was dead center the whole time.

Thx
Strange color ... looks like someone mixed coolant types ... best to flush system and refill with approved Toyota coolant. Not an issue, just better to know what you are running in the system and to have a fresh baseline.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 11:19 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
Strange color ... looks like someone mixed coolant types ... best to flush system and refill with approved Toyota coolant. Not an issue, just better to know what you are running in the system and to have a fresh baseline.
I’ve only added zerex pink coolant since I’ve had it (a bit over 2qt) but don’t know what has been used previously. It does have Lexus service history, so I can’t imagine the wrong coolant would have been added then. Either way, it is still under power train warranty so I’m taking it in next week to get looked at. Not seeing any other signs of a blown head gasket, motor oil looks good, no Smokey exhaust, lack of heat or power.
Old 01-02-21, 12:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If you still have powertrain warranty then by all means let the dealer track issue down and pay for repair.

Old 01-02-21, 05:14 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xychromo
I’ve only added zerex pink coolant since I’ve had it (a bit over 2qt) but don’t know what has been used previously. It does have Lexus service history, so I can’t imagine the wrong coolant would have been added then. Either way, it is still under power train warranty so I’m taking it in next week to get looked at. Not seeing any other signs of a blown head gasket, motor oil looks good, no Smokey exhaust, lack of heat or power.
In theory, coolant color identifies the coolant formulation ... however the industry in practice has not been consistent along these lines ... so the PO may have topped off with the right coolant color of a different formulation ... or just flat out used the wrong coolant color. Mixing coolant colors will cause a color shift ... and different formulations from a chemical interaction standpoint can cause a color shift as well. Bottom line ... just flush the system and refill with Toyota coolant so you can baseline your system and stop worrying that something worse is happening.

Last edited by ASE; 01-02-21 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 05:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I think the bigger concern though is that 2 1/4 qt has been added in the course of a month.
Old 01-02-21, 05:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

But is this really something to be concerned about?

In theory, coolant color identifies the coolant formulation ... however the industry in practice has not been consistent along these lines ... so the PO may have topped off with the right coolant color of a different formulation ... or just flat out used the wrong coolant color. Mixing coolant colors will cause a color shift ... and different formulations from a chemical interaction standpoint can cause a color shift as well. Bottom line ... just flush the system and refill with Toyota coolant so you can baseline your system and stop worrying that something worse is happening.
Old 01-02-21, 05:49 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI, there are kits out there for pressure testing the coolant system if you're a DIY type, It may turn out to be cheaper than going to a dealer plus you get a tool out of it. YMMV though. For example:
Universal Cooling System Test Kit with Pump Universal Cooling System Test Kit with Pump
Old 01-02-21, 06:00 PM
ASE
Pole Position

I think the bigger concern though is that 2 1/4 qt has been added in the course of a month.
Agree ... but why not eliminate one variable (the color) by base-lining the coolant formulation. The OP reported that the oil was not contaminated ... would be milky white if coolant was present indicating a blown head gasket or cracked head and/or block. Yes, inspecting for an external leak is advised given the coolant loss rate, but this would not explain the strange color.
Old 01-02-21, 06:17 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Agree ... but why not eliminate one variable (the color) by base-lining the coolant formulation. The OP reported that the oil was not contaminated ... would be milky white if coolant was present indicating a blown head gasket or cracked head and/or block. Yes, inspecting for an external leak is advised given the coolant loss rate, but this would not explain the strange color.
It may explain the color if the previous owner was also experiencing a coolant leak and dumped one of those stop leak bottles into the radiator to plug it? I'd start with a pressure test first to determine if there's an issue before proceeding with a flush/refill. It's also possible a flush/refill will undo the stop leak?

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush / Fluids / Questions / Comments