GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tire purchase "Lexus certified tires vs not"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18 | 12:14 PM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire purchase "Lexus certified tires vs not"

Looking to purchase new tires for my 2012 Lexus GX 460 Premium vehicle. I am wanting an all-season tire so my best guess from my research and reading reviews on tiretrack have brought me the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I got pricing from a few different people and one one of the guys who claims he doesn't directly work for Lexus( Although he works in their building) but instead works for a company that distributes tires for all dealers claims that the Michelin Defender LTX M/S is not a "Lexus certified tire" meaning that Lexus has done some research and determined that tire is not safe when you consider the load conditions of the GX460 specifically. He instead suggested the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tire under the idea that it will be "safer" since Lexus says so disregarding that the defenders have a much higher rating on tiretrack in wet/snow conditions (safety?) among other items like tread wear. Of course, the tire cost $80/tire more than the Defenders. So my question- is there any truth to what this guy is saying? Or is he trying to sell me something?
Old 03-30-18 | 12:17 PM
spd33
Rookie

Sound like bs to me. As long as the load rating is correct, there really isn't any such thing as a manufacturer certified tire to my knowledge. I don't know anything about this site but it does appear to be legitimately Lexus run and it lists both Michelin tires.

https://www.lexustirecenter.com/sele...3&nomodal=true
Old 03-30-18 | 01:19 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by Slvr12GX46
Looking to purchase new tires for my 2012 Lexus GX 460 Premium vehicle. I am wanting an all-season tire so my best guess from my research and reading reviews on tiretrack have brought me the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I got pricing from a few different people and one one of the guys who claims he doesn't directly work for Lexus( Although he works in their building) but instead works for a company that distributes tires for all dealers claims that the Michelin Defender LTX M/S is not a "Lexus certified tire" meaning that Lexus has done some research and determined that tire is not safe when you consider the load conditions of the GX460 specifically. He instead suggested the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tire under the idea that it will be "safer" since Lexus says so disregarding that the defenders have a much higher rating on tiretrack in wet/snow conditions (safety?) among other items like tread wear. Of course, the tire cost $80/tire more than the Defenders. So my question- is there any truth to what this guy is saying? Or is he trying to sell me something?
I just asked my dear to quote me a set for my '15 GX and the parts manager said similar thing.

My GX came with Michelin Latitude Tour HP in 265/60/18 which is the APPROVED tires for the GX (but I don't like this tire). The manager said Michelin LTX M/S2 is another approved tire for the GX and it costs as follow:
$1048 included taxes, mount, balance and road hazards
-$100 off for Lexus tires promotion- end 4/30/18
-$70 Michelin mail in rebate
=$878 final price.

The problem is I want 265/65/18 which is NOT approved so I will loose $100 Lexus promotion and road hazards. The manager said he CAN get me the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but similarly I will loose $100 Lexus promotion and road hazards.

I also looked at Tirebuyer.com (which is the tires supplier my the dealers as well as many tires shops. I want Toyo Open Country AT 2 in 265/65/18. Toyo has $150 rebate on this model (until 4/30) and Tirebuyer.com saves me another $80 to ship directly to their approved install shops (which has many). Shipping is free as well. Total after rebate is about $590 + $80 installation.
Old 03-30-18 | 01:38 PM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like they are promoting their promotion. Lexus's tire center suggests the LTX Defenders which is not in line with the "Lexus certified" tire safety jargon. Seems they are trying to capitalize on the fear of being unsafe to sell tires- pretty sad.
Old 03-30-18 | 01:51 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by Slvr12GX46
Sounds like they are promoting their promotion. Lexus's tire center suggests the LTX Defenders which is not in line with the "Lexus certified" tire safety jargon. Seems they are trying to capitalize on the fear of being unsafe to sell tires- pretty sad.
I will not buy what the dealer suggested. I will buy what I want/like to buy. You should do the same.
Old 03-30-18 | 06:35 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Does this guy work for Michelin or its affiliate? Ask the person where the documentation is for this "approved tire" and who published it, because Lexus puts Bridgestone on the GX460 from the factory.

I don't see Lexus approving anything that would make them liable for another manufacturers' defect
Old 03-30-18 | 06:43 PM
BlueOnyx
Driver

As a personal rule of thumb, I now always check the tire manufacturer website once I decide on a make and model of tire. I once had a issue with a compact hatchback and later found it that it known issue since the car was too light for the tire resulting in a loss of circularity in the tire. The LTX Defenders are a suggested alternative by the manufacturer for your vehicle.
Old 03-31-18 | 07:45 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spd33
Sound like bs to me. As long as the load rating is correct, there really isn't any such thing as a manufacturer certified tire to my knowledge. I don't know anything about this site but it does appear to be legitimately Lexus run and it lists both Michelin tires.
While I agree as it relates to Lexus, there are definitely manufacturer certified tires...Porsche requires N rated tires.
Old 03-31-18 | 08:56 AM
spd33
Rookie

Originally Posted by Statman
While I agree as it relates to Lexus, there are definitely manufacturer certified tires...Porsche requires N rated tires.
Speed and load rating yes, specific brand and model of tire though, not likely.
Old 03-31-18 | 09:22 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Tires should be purchase from reputable neighborhood tire shops. Make sure, load rating, speed rating is proper.
Like anything else you get what you pay for. Many choices.
Old 03-31-18 | 10:50 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spd33
Speed and load rating yes, specific brand and model of tire though, not likely.

Not to jack the thread, but...Porsche approved tires are both manufacturer and rating...The current approved list is available from the dealer or online. This goes for oil as well.
Old 04-04-18 | 03:52 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Statman
Not to jack the thread, but...Porsche approved tires are both manufacturer and rating...The current approved list is available from the dealer or online. This goes for oil as well.
And to add to Statman's post; BMW approved tires have a star on the sidewall to indicate it is to their specs, Mercedes have MO or MOE labels. I own an older BMW that uses Continental, the same tire brand/model/size/speed rating/ weight rating can be bought with or without the BMW star.

In Germany (from over 15 years ago) car manufacturer had to list specific tires, brands models and size that were tested and approved for use. The list of tires were in the vehicles documents and only those tire would be permitted to be installed on that car.
Old 04-04-18 | 06:12 AM
VentoGT
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
Does this guy work for Michelin or its affiliate? Ask the person where the documentation is for this "approved tire" and who published it, because Lexus puts Bridgestone on the GX460 from the factory.

I don't see Lexus approving anything that would make them liable for another manufacturers' defect
My 2018 has Michelin Latitude Tours from new, so guessing that Lexus likely shops around when putting new tires on their cars to see what deals they can get. That said, I'd trust Tirerack.com or a big tire shop before someone saying a tire wasn't "certified". I know Porsche has N rated tires [which of course are more expensive] but then again they want to make sure that if someone pegs out their car at 180MPH the tire won't be the cause of a crash....
Old 04-04-18 | 08:39 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Dont forget the Lexus approved Blinker fluid and piston return springs

Tire mfgs work with vehicle mfgs ,and certify their lineup to work with whats on the market. Its upto the end user what tire and where you get it installed. This aint rennlist bimerfest, or benzworld so not really important.
Go on your favorite place in store or online, put in the vehicle specs and enjoy. The dealership does the same, but with a markup. Lexus doesnt supply dealers with their tires or fluids, whatever comes in the cheapest is pumped into your vehicle. Parts of course are Lexus, everything else is whatever .
Old 08-15-19 | 10:30 AM
DJJJ
Driver School Candidate

I bought Michelin LTX M/S 2 at Costco. They are working perfectly in both on and off-road situations.

Quick Reply: Tire purchase "Lexus certified tires vs not"