GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What power steering oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 08:37 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Just completed this. I cycled through about 3 water bottles worth of fluid or about 50 oz. The first couple of times, the fluid came out very dark and had a burnt smell to it. As I cycled more, the smell went away and while the fluid is still a bit dark, when you pour it out into another bottle, it lightens up and looks closer to the fresh (bright red) fluid going in. The bulk of the fluid is in the lines as the reservoir hardly holds any fluid at all. I was simply removing the fluid, adding fresh fluid, then cranking the wheel back and forth numerous times in my driveway, then repeating the process.
On my next oil change, I'll probably pull another 16 oz out or so and see how it is doing.

This isn't the fastest way, but it is probably the cleanest way as you really don't have to worry about making a mess!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-30-18)
Old 05-25-19, 03:50 PM
Romanova
Racer

Going to revisit this in the next few weeks. I just did my ES330 and disconnected the return line and used a 3/8th barb and some clear tubing and was able to quickly cycle the old fluid out. Made a huge improvement on the ES330 (did both of the reservoir hoses also due to age/cracks). Will document it when I do it and post here of course.
Acrad (05-25-19)
Old 05-25-19, 04:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I never looked on mine but sounds like the filter screen at bottom of PS reservoir might be something to check out on a service as well.

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2021-0001.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PowerSteeringFilter.pdf (209.0 KB, 352 views)
cancruiser (05-21-22)
Old 06-07-19, 04:38 PM
Romanova
Racer

So, I attempted to pull the return hose off of the reservoir... no go. At 118k it was pretty cooked and not very pliable. I used a pick on the sides and it still wouldn't do it. I'm sure I could have tried to force it but I didn't want to risk breaking the nipple off. I may just get a new hose and do a relief cut to get it off. I did get all of the fluid out of the reservoir and refilled it. When I did this last year it seemed to do a good job but the fluid today was a bit dark and had no cherry red color to it at all. FWIW, I couldn't get the return hose off my ES330's reservoir without doing a relief cut to the hose.
Acrad (06-08-19)
Old 03-27-20, 09:27 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

When I do this next year on our GX, I plan to use this method (have used it on our Corolla for years with great success)... I use
one of these one of these
to pull fluid out of the reservoir, makes it easy.
the foam ear plug works (even to my surprise). I also have a rubber conical stopper (from home depot) where I got the clear hose... I have used both with success to plug the reservoir nipple.

Not sure what fluid I'm using yet... leaning towards trying this amsoil in the quart easy pack so I don't need to buy another funnel and have it sitting around.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 03-27-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 07:47 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

That is the ATF that Amsoil recommends for the Power Steering. Easy Pack would be a great choice to avoid using a funnel, etc.

I also use that same fluid for the tranny on both of my GXs.

Old 03-28-20, 08:06 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

I do see in the Maintenance Manual, there is no fluid replacement guidelines.

Old 03-29-20, 08:46 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

I just sucked out the NASTY and I mean NASTY fluid. Burnt smell as previously mentioned and dirty. My 2016 has 51k miles, and the smell of the PS Fluid was worse than when I drained the ATF from this 2016 for the first time at 45k miles.

In the above video, my reservoir was stained from the old fluid, but I could see the fluid level was between the MAX/MIN cold lines before sucking it out.. My garage is 50 degrees.

After sucking out the old stuff, I just filled a small plastic cup with about 4oz of fluid, but my total fill was close to 6 oz. Will drive once and then repeat.

The opening is very small and now understand why some items might not work.

Below is what I used to suck out the old fluid.

FWIW, I used the Amsoil ATF (Red Cap).

nuclearn8 (03-29-20)
Old 03-29-20, 09:21 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

The syringe I linked above fits inside the PS reservoir with clearance... also if one can't get their return line off (to flush the system), just do the same procedure and after turning the wheel back and forth a couple times, siphon out the PS reservoir (with the syringe or tool of choice) and keep refilling and repeating... (you could use the ATF spreadsheet to figure out how many times to do it get the fluid concentration to the desired level (depending how much is able to siphon out of the reservoir)

Assuming the return line cannot be removed and using the same fluid concentration calculator that was used for ATF drain and fills.. it would take roughly 15 PS siphon, refill, rotate wheel, and repeat cycles to get the system close to all new fluid assuming 6oz can be pulled from the reservoir each time... that's roughly 3 qts to do it this way...more time consuming, but still cheap.

Removing the return line would likely only need 2 qts of fluid (you'd have extra) and less cycles of the wheel rotation to push the new fluid out while maintaining the reservoir topped off throughout the process.

I've decided to do the PS fluid flush every 2 years when I do the transmission service. It is inexpensive and keeps the vehicle operating at peak performance with new fluid.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 03-29-20 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-29-20, 09:29 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

I got roughly 6 oz out
nuclearn8 (03-29-20)
Old 03-29-20, 02:43 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

With the burnt smell and crusty reservoirs, I'm gonna start researching a power steering cooler to see what feasible, if anything.
Old 03-29-20, 03:12 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

I would think that Toyota isn't using the highest quality ATF for their PS applications....

Old 03-29-20, 04:04 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

With the burnt smell and crusty reservoirs, I'm gonna start researching a power steering cooler to see what is feasible, if anything with the oem design and routing.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 03-30-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 02:04 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

This is the closest GX specific kit I could find... https://www.4x4labs.com/collections/...nt=36448425926 ... however not sure if it would fit or not. Need to crawl under and see if could work tonight.

looks like the above contains this cooler unit, combined with their custom mounting pieces for the 4R/ GX
https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...yABEgJON_D_BwE
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgITtvD_BwE
https://behrents.com/parts/allstar-p...iABEgKIBfD_BwE

Old 03-30-20, 02:59 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

This kit appears it will work after crawling underneath for a closer look... will require to drill 2 holes for the front mounting bracket bolts... and of course dispose of the OEM metal fluid path across the front, which I think is suppose to serve as a cooler.
Not sure how I feel about making such a major subsystem alteration while still in warranty... I'll likely just flush every 2 years, even though more cooling capacity would be nice...

Quick Reply: What power steering oil to use