GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What power steering oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 02:58 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
I know this is a old thread, but I didn’t want to clutter. How much are you guys paying for power steering, and coolant flushes at the dealer? I got the following quote from Prestige Lexus. I’m not sure if it’s my cheap soul but this seems a bit high.

“The coolant flush is a complete flush of the entire coolant system. It also uses an additive to clean out any kind of corrosion that may be in the system it would be around $383 and the power steering flush would be around $277. I can give you a loaner car for those service’s”
For reference in case that it might help anyone in the future. I ended up doing the services at another local dealer. They had a sale running and each service was $199. I ended up paying $450 after all the fees and taxes. I also got a loaner 2021 NX for a few days which had surprisingly comfortable seats.
Old 06-01-22, 10:14 AM
stilleni30
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
For reference in case that it might help anyone in the future. I ended up doing the services at another local dealer. They had a sale running and each service was $199. I ended up paying $450 after all the fees and taxes. I also got a loaner 2021 NX for a few days which had surprisingly comfortable seats.
These are the kinds of services I've resorted to doing at home now because I can never feel confident in knowing they actually do it without "forgetting" (trust me, I've had all sorts of experiences paying for services that ended up never being performed).
Old 06-01-22, 01:33 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by stilleni30
These are the kinds of services I've resorted to doing at home now because I can never feel confident in knowing they actually do it without "forgetting" (trust me, I've had all sorts of experiences paying for services that ended up never being performed).
Agree ... easy procedure ... plus you can then control what product is used for fluid replacement.
Old 06-01-22, 02:33 PM
stilleni30
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Agree ... easy procedure ... plus you can then control what product is used for fluid replacement.
Plus there's just that weird sense of satisfaction knowing you visualized and extracted the nastiest fluid and replenished it with fresh fluids making you feel like your car is subsequently invincible!
The following 2 users liked this post by stilleni30:
Peacebay (06-01-22), skeegs (06-02-22)
Old 07-31-22, 08:01 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I am not sure why one would not want to do a complete flush, the amount of fluid in the reservoir is negligible compared to the total capacity.

1. Jack up the front.
2. Remove plastic cover so you can access the PS reservoir area.
3. Suck out the fluid from the reservoir.
4. Remove the air hose above the PS return line.
5. Remove the return line.
6. Plug the reservoir hole with a rubber cap.
7. Plug a small plastic tube into the return hose, use painter/plumbers/electrical tape to make it tight and stick the other end into a cup.
8. Put plastic onto the steering wheel so your filthy hands don't mess up the GX's immaculate interior.
9. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid.
10. Turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, it will suck out about half of the reservoir.
11. Refill reservoir.
12. Keep doing 10-11 until fresh fluid comes out.
13. Finish the steps with almost empty reservoir.
14. Remove plastic cap, plastic tube, put back return hose and clamp.
15. Fill reservoir with fresh fluid.

I used Redline D4 because I had some leftover from a previous project.

The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
John00 (08-01-22), LeX2K (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 08:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Thumbs up for the plastic on the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
NewB2Lexus (08-01-22)
Old 08-01-22, 07:23 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Thumbs up for the plastic on the steering wheel.
You definitely don't want to listen how you oil-stained your spouse's favorite dress for the rest of your life ..
Old 08-19-22, 07:10 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

I went back and added a Magnefine filter to the return line.

Old 12-11-22, 02:36 PM
Zivman
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I am looking to do my power steering fluid on my next service interval (60k miles).

I have been watching "the car care nut" in relation to toyota maintenace and he advises at 50-70k miles and states to use a good power steering fluid rather than an ATF even stating that the manual will cal for ATF and not to use it ->

I have been using Ravenol Fluids - Their WS trans fluid and 75w for the transfer case. I see they offer a power steering fluid that crosses with the high $ Toyota 08886-01115 and Toyota PSF NEW-W fluid.

wondering peoples thoughts
Old 10-02-23, 09:15 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I've called a dealer couple days ago to see what they charge for the power steering fluid replacement, but to my surprise was told that I have an electric power steering and that I don't need to change anything. Is the dealer full of BS or are they trying to save me some money? 😅
Old 10-03-23, 04:31 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

If you go on Redline Fluids website and enter your vehicle info they will show you all the products they have for the GX. ATF D4 is what they suggested for the PS fluid. They do have MT-LV for the transfer case as well. Nothing like spending almost $200 on fresh fluids for the GX! She should be good for another 40-50k miles.
Old 10-03-23, 04:56 PM
JeffS520
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve got a 2014 and owners manual stated dexron II or III so picked up below and did about 3 drain and fills. Did this about 6 mths ago…

Old 10-12-23, 06:53 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought and will be using Amsoil for my friend's GX which has 125,000 miles but has never had it changed!!! By the way, when is it a good time to change that out or should I just follow the maintenance manual?
Old 10-16-23, 04:47 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

So I did my power steering flush this weekend and was anticipating the power steering pump to only pump fluid when turning the wheel, but that wasn't the case with my 2017. As soon as the engine started, the pump started pumping. Not sure if something changed via other models, but this is def a two man job. One starting engine, and the other manning the fluid level.
Old 10-16-23, 06:04 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I followed GX Bob's video for the power steering fluid and it's only a one-man job. My friend's GX is also a '17. I used a Pennzoil hand pump oil extractor, while GX Bob used a Briggs & Stratton one. I also had the Briggs & Stratton 4L unit, but the pump was broken and wouldn't create any suction. I returned that thing to Amazon while I still could. There are tons of them out there, but I prefer oil extractor pumps that allows you to continuously pump out the old oil versus using a syringe or turkey baster type where you have to extract-and-dump over and over.

Also worth noting, you'll need a 5/8" hose (inner diameter, about 24" long) for the reservoir's nozzle in order to keep the new oil inside the reservoir from spilling out. Likewise, you'll need a 5/8" hose (outer diameter) to stick inside the return hose on one end and to the oil extractor inlet on the other end. This way, you can put fresh oil into the reservoir while you extract old oil from the return hose. Once you start seeing the new steering fluid, you're done.

Quick Reply: What power steering oil to use