GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Luxury Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18 | 10:26 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Default Luxury Suspension

So I've been looking into the GX460 and trying to decide between the Premium and the Luxury model, but I couldn't find any information regarding to the air suspension from lexus.com.

I understand that the actual air suspension is only on the rear axles of the vehicle meaning it is probably not design for clearance but more for towing and weight purposes.
My questions are,
1) Is the air suspension added onto existing shocks? meaning does it still use shocks from the Premium model and adds the bags to raise the frame?
2) Are Adaptive Suspension actual AVS shocks or just the firmness of the bags? And is there real difference between the firmness of the shocks?
3) How difficult is it to install aftermarket shocks or suspension parts on Luxury models vs the Premium model?

Also is Mark Levinson speakers included on all 2018 models? I can't seems to add it under option.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-18 | 10:32 PM
malmon
Intermediate

The mark levinson system is not included in the premium package.
Old 04-10-18 | 10:35 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

So it is standard on Luxury? lexus.com doesn't really explain much.
Old 04-11-18 | 04:27 AM
HudsonMike
Driver School Candidate

I am curious about the road ride.

Does luxury suspension make a material difference on everyday pavement, bumps, and potholes?
Old 04-11-18 | 05:04 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by jkonquer
So I've been looking into the GX460 and trying to decide between the Premium and the Luxury model, but I couldn't find any information regarding to the air suspension from lexus.com.

I understand that the actual air suspension is only on the rear axles of the vehicle meaning it is probably not design for clearance but more for towing and weight purposes.
My questions are,
1) Is the air suspension added onto existing shocks? meaning does it still use shocks from the Premium model and adds the bags to raise the frame?
2) Are Adaptive Suspension actual AVS shocks or just the firmness of the bags? And is there real difference between the firmness of the shocks?
3) How difficult is it to install aftermarket shocks or suspension parts on Luxury models vs the Premium model?

Also is Mark Levinson speakers included on all 2018 models? I can't seems to add it under option.

Thanks in advance.
To briefly answer your question:
For luxury, it is AVS shocks with electronic dumping control. Air bags are for rear only. ML audio is part of luxury package.
The following users liked this post:
jkonquer (04-11-18)
Old 04-11-18 | 05:44 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HudsonMike

Does luxury suspension make a material difference on everyday pavement, bumps, and potholes?
Yes, I believe there is a difference. We purchased our CPO 2015 about 13 months ago. It is a Luxury and we looked at several Premium models too. My wife and I agreed that the Luxury provided a better ride around the Dealership (on the test drives). BTW, there only seems to be a slight difference in the ride settings (comfort/normal/sport).

Plus my sister-in-law just purchased a 2018 without the air/AVS suspension. Even they claim our model rides smoother. In fairness I have Michelin LTX and theirs came with different tires…so perhaps that is accounting for some difference too.
Old 04-11-18 | 12:21 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
To briefly answer your question:
For luxury, it is AVS shocks with electronic dumping control. Air bags are for rear only. ML audio is part of luxury package.
Not sure with other model years, but on 17' and 18' ML audio is an option only with luxury package. As a matter of fact, I have seen 1 vehicle on the dealership lot that has luxury package but without ML audio.
Old 04-11-18 | 12:24 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by HudsonMike

Yes, luxury suspension does make a big difference! Big enough of a difference for us to trade in a 17' GX premium for a 18' luxury.
jkonquer (04-11-18)
Old 04-11-18 | 03:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

There is a fairly noticeably difference on mine between sport and comfort. Enough so that I feel it corners better in sport mode. I normally run mine in Sport though.
jkonquer (04-11-18)
Old 04-11-18 | 04:04 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by tuandino
Not sure with other model years, but on 17' and 18' ML audio is an option only with luxury package. As a matter of fact, I have seen 1 vehicle on the dealership lot that has luxury package but without ML audio.
Yes, I have seen that as well. It just wasn't available to add on their website.
Old 04-11-18 | 04:06 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

So is the air bag itself a part of the shocks on the rear?
Old 04-11-18 | 04:27 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by jkonquer
So is the air bag itself a part of the shocks on the rear?
There are AVS shocks plus air bags at rear.
Old 04-11-18 | 04:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Shocks are separate from the air bags

jkonquer (04-11-18)
Old 04-12-18 | 03:27 AM
HudsonMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Yes, I believe there is a difference. We purchased our CPO 2015 about 13 months ago. It is a Luxury and we looked at several Premium models too. My wife and I agreed that the Luxury provided a better ride around the Dealership (on the test drives). BTW, there only seems to be a slight difference in the ride settings (comfort/normal/sport).

Plus my sister-in-law just purchased a 2018 without the air/AVS suspension. Even they claim our model rides smoother. In fairness I have Michelin LTX and theirs came with different tires…so perhaps that is accounting for some difference too.

Thank you all for the responses. Here is my situation. Currently have a GS350 F-Sport that I love. Family is growing so need an SUV. RX is small. GX feels just right. Test drove a Premium 15’ GX. HATED the ride quality compared to my GS. - Meaning how it felt over bumps, as I totally get that the other driving dynamics between car and truck are dramatically opposite. I’ll have to test drive a luxury trim and see how that feels on the road.
Old 04-12-18 | 06:33 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

If looking for a ride similar to the GS F-Sport, the GX isn’t for you.... look at the BMW X5....

Quick Reply: Luxury Suspension