Lane change auto flashing mod completed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 11:36 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Hzhao,
does the thicker blue wire start as #1 on the GX connector or does the red one start as #1?

I couldn’t remember and need to go back to check my diagrams. I am out of town currently and won’t be back until week of 7/22
Old 07-08-18, 03:15 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao

I couldn’t remember and need to go back to check my diagrams. I am out of town currently and won’t be back until week of 7/22
no worries. I forgot to edit the post. I got the new turn signal to work and I’ll post up some pics and information when I can. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
tiger0086 (01-12-20)
Old 07-09-18, 05:32 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Alright, here is my rendition of the quick tap turn signal mod. Thanks to @Hzhao for paving the way for this project, to @Acrad for the Posi-Tap and online Electronic wiring diagram website, and to @tecman for originally posting the GX relay diagram.

I originally wanted to make an adapter for the GX so I didn't need to tap into the wires and keep it 100% stock. During my search, I could not find a Toyota/Lexus part # for just the connector piece that matches what you see on the OEM turn relay. I went out and bought a turn signal relay to try and modify as a connector. I shelved that idea, due to the extra work that was involved. I would have had to either de-solder the OEM relay or snip the pin leads and then hot glue the pins to the connector.
================================================================================================
Parts Needed:
Aftermarket 8 pin relay with quick tap turn signal8 pin wiring harness
  • This was a used part from Ebay. It came with the OEM Toyota relay ($12)
8 pieces of the Posi-tap (Part# PT2426)10mm socket + socket wrench
Plastic Trim Removal Tool or flat head screw driver
Phillips Screw Driver
======================================================================================

Initial steps to access turn signal relay
Removal pictures to see the OEM turn relay is here.
The flasher relay is very easy to get to. I accessed the relay by removing the following:
  1. Mirror and odo control panel
    • Remove the wiring to the mirror control, dash light and ODO. Press in the tabs and pull the wiring.
  2. The D-shape dash side panel that goes up against the driver side door
  3. Driver side air vent closest to the driver side window.
    • The instrument cluster bezel will pop out as you remove the air vent.
Everything is held in by the clips on the upper portion. I was able to get the panels off just using my hands. I didn't need the panel removal tools until I reached the lower cover where the knee airbag is.

Next minor steps are
  • to remove any floor mats
  • to remove the knee pad trim that is directly to the left of the gear shifter and to the right of the gas pedal. This is also held in by clips and can be removed with or without the pry tool. We need to remove this to fully drop the lower dash panel .
  • to remove the plastic trim cover located to the left of the dead pedal. This hides a bunch of connectors and wires. This was tricky to remove. There is a black mushroom looking lock that is directly to the left of the dead pedal. Once removed you can pull the trim towards the driver seat to release a plastic pin. There is also a metal pin underneath the door sill area. Pictures can be seen here because this piece will come loose. Pic #1, Pic #2, Pic #3
Lower Dash Trim
The lower dash panel is held in by purple and white pressure clips and x2 10 mm bolts. The image below shows the inside after it was removed from the dash.
Note: The x2 10mm bolts are on the far left and far right. The one on the right is hidden by a plastic cap that needs to be pried downwards (using your pry tool or flat head screwdriver)

Lower Dash Removed
Hidden 10mm bolt (located above the gas pedal area)

8 Pin Relay wires with Positaps connected
These were purchased from ebay and arrived in 2 days. This is really ingenious. Something simple enough that works really well. The wires for the turn signals are about 22-24 gauge. Looking at Acrad's post, it looks like I was supposed to tap into the OEM turn signal relay wires first and then connect it to my donor wires. I think either way will work.
Picture is seen here

Turn signal wire harness
Wire Harness Diagram (with wiring color codes)
  • Note:
  • the GX wiring connector diagram is looking at it from the BACK
  • The 8 pin wiring connector diagram is looking at it from the FRONT
Online Wiring diagram to confirm the color codes and #'s (See black rectangular box)
Wire harness from the GX

Installed
Wires connected/tapped
Closeup of the Posi-Tap
Smart Tap to the 8 pin connector
Zip tied to the wire loom that has the headlight washer and traction control
  • I zip tied it here so it would be easy to uninstall and reattach the OEM connector if I needed to tow with the GX.
Cons to the Diode dynamic relaySo far, this has been tested on a 200 mile road trip (without towing) and has worked flawlessly.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 07-09-18 at 06:00 PM. Reason: formatting
The following 6 users liked this post by ObsidianBl:
Acrad (07-09-18), hzhao (07-23-18), konc3pt (01-05-19), ltsr (05-02-19), Otherone (07-10-18), TheNomad (11-24-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-22-18, 08:15 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I completed this mod this morning. It was fairly simple with the detailed write up above. I was an idiot and started to wire it to match the numbers (i.e., 1 =1) instead of the matching functions, but when nothing worked I realized what I did.

This doesn't appear to interfere with my auto fold module since I got it without the flashing. Also, it doesn't appear to have the arrival lighting, but I don't really care about that and plan to turn down the departure lighting to its minimum setting. For the sound, I don't notice any difference but I mounted the relay next to the vent so it may just be close proximity that makes it appear to be the same volume. With the wiring in place, if I ever need to revert back it should be quick with no tools; just pull the mirror controls panel and vent out then swap the plugs. So far very happy with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Otherone:
hzhao (07-23-18), ObsidianBl (07-22-18)
Old 08-02-18, 04:15 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Like otherone was saying, the non blinking mirror folding module works with this mod. I finally got my new mirror folding module today and it works great.
Old 08-30-18, 04:05 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Looks like someone on the GXOR page found a source for a GX470 wire harness adapter.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/838842...&__tn__=%2AW-R

Hopefully they can make one for the 460 as well.
The following users liked this post:
tiger0086 (01-12-20)
Old 08-30-18, 06:45 AM
Clay
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is also high on my list of things to mod on this vehicle.
Old 10-19-18, 06:26 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m about to perform this mod in the next week or so when my 8-pin connector arrives. Thank you guys for putting all this information together.
If I wanted to tow in the future and don’t care for the secondary factory 30A towing relay, will I need to tap into any of the other remaining wires from the 18-pin factory GX connector harness to splice over to the 8-pin?
My goal is to just have everything work when I’m ready to tow without having to hassle with taking my dash apart and unplugging the SmartTap and reconnecting the Factory relay.

Last edited by binhster; 10-19-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 07:08 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by binhster
I’m about to perform this mod in the next week or so when my 8-pin connector arrives. Thank you guys for putting all this information together.
If I wanted to tow in the future and don’t care for the secondary factory 30A towing relay, will I need to tap into any of the other remaining wires from the 18-pin factory GX connector harness to splice over to the 8-pin?
My goal is to just have everything work when I’m ready to tow without having to hassle with taking my dash apart and unplugging the SmartTap and reconnecting the Factory relay.
If you don't care about 30A towing relay, all you need are 8 pins as I have done.
Old 10-20-18, 06:25 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
If you don't care about 30A towing relay, all you need are 8 pins as I have done.
Thank you! I was confused as to whether the other remaining wires were needed from the 18 pin connector. Specificaly pins 9 and 18. Those wires combine the brake light into the turn signal though, so it makes sense that they should not be used in this situation.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ml#post1986338
Old 10-21-18, 06:13 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by binhster

Thank you! I was confused as to whether the other remaining wires were needed from the 18 pin connector. Specificaly pins 9 and 18. Those wires combine the brake light into the turn signal though, so it makes sense that they should not be used in this situation.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ml#post1986338
You are correct. Other wires are just for the trailer combination lights.
Old 05-01-19, 09:37 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Diode Dynamics Smart Tap Flasher Relay doesn’t fit.

I ordered a Diode Dynamics smart tap relay. I have one in my Subaru and love the convenience of it.

I pulled the lower dash apart and found the flasher relay in my 2010 GX 460 is an 18 pin setup versus the 8 pin from Diode Dynamics.

Is this consistent across the 2010-2016 model years?

Is there another company that makes a replacement relay that allows LED and is programmable?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-01-19, 10:33 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Agarakon
I ordered a Diode Dynamics smart tap relay. I have one in my Subaru and love the convenience of it.

I pulled the lower dash apart and found the flasher relay in my 2010 GX 460 is an 18 pin setup versus the 8 pin from Diode Dynamics.

Is this consistent across the 2010-2016 model years?

Is there another company that makes a replacement relay that allows LED and is programmable?

Thanks everyone!
I emailed Diode Dynamics a few months back, they don't support the GX460.

I'd be curious to see what else we can do short of replacing the stalk (which someone here has done)
Old 05-01-19, 11:20 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
I emailed Diode Dynamics a few months back, they don't support the GX460.

I'd be curious to see what else we can do short of replacing the stalk (which someone here has done)
Nice of them to list them for sale and sell one to me eh?
Old 05-01-19, 11:24 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Agarakon
Nice of them to list them for sale and sell one to me eh?
If I use the "search by vehicle" function, all that lists for the GX460 are LED bulbs.

But I did see this:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-fl...xus-gx460.html

can you share a link to what you purchased?

Quick Reply: Lane change auto flashing mod completed