Lane change auto flashing mod completed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 09:16 AM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Hmm so it doesn't work on all GX ?

How could some posters here get it to work?
I was wrong. Someone from diode reaches out and told me how it works. I would try giving them a call. They have been very helpful with all their other products.
Old 10-17-19, 01:06 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufio
I was wrong. Someone from diode reaches out and told me how it works. I would try giving them a call. They have been very helpful with all their other products.
To give an update, my issue is fixed. The problem was I was taking the picture posted by Hzhao for 18 relay harness from front, where the picture he is referring to is actually the back of the harness.

Hope this helps for anyone who got into same issue
Old 10-24-19, 08:09 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

This fell off my radar for a while but I just got back around to it. Ordered all the wires and connectors I needed, made a 12pin to 8pin harness, and just tested it out and it's functioning 100%. My only complaint is the ticking of the relay is loud. I'm going to try putting some sound deadening mat around it to see if that helps. The wires are currently just twisted together to test it out. I have to buy some more shrink tubing and I'm going to shorten the wires, solder them together, shrink tube individual wires and then all wires so it'll be a solid harness.

Photo dump:

The following 5 users liked this post by Ramacher:
bbqsoup (10-25-19), Chasin (10-25-19), hzhao (10-24-19), John00 (10-25-19), ObsidianBl (10-24-19)
Old 10-25-19, 08:51 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
You know I thought about that. If there's an interest/commitment for 10+ units I'd be willing to do it.
I would be interested depending on the cost.

Some questions:
Which relay are you using?
Can you shorten the wiring? Seems like there's alot of extra wiring.
Does this mod affect any other functions on the vehicle? If so, which functions are impacted?
Is this plug-and-play? Non-permanent?

Last edited by Chasin; 10-25-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-25-19, 10:23 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

+1 depends on cost.
How many times it flashes?

Originally Posted by Chasin

Some questions:
Does this mod affect any other functions on the vehicle? If so, which functions are impacted?
Old 10-25-19, 03:04 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
+1 depends on cost.
How many times it flashes?
Using the Diode Dynamics Smart Tap you can program it to how ever many you want. You toggle the blinker lever up/down with the car off, then start the car (up/ right = increase blinks; down/left = less flashes); repeat until you get the amount of flashes you want. There is a minimum of 3 I think, less than 3 turns if off and the blinker works as normal; never tested the maximum. I use 4 flashes.

Last edited by Otherone; 10-25-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 04:15 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Some questions:
Probably around $20 +/- $5 for a harness. The Smart Tap relay is $60 on Amazon.

Yes it will be shorter and cleaner. I've customized/modified/restored a lot of vehicles and one of my main goals is to make it look stock as much as I can and that's what I'm gonna do with this harness. Currently it's just a Temp/test harness because I was impatient and didn't have any shrink tubing. Should be getting some tomorrow and I'll clean up the harness either this weekend or sometime next week.

The stock flasher relay is also the towing relay, but with this harness if you plan to tow a trailer you can easily unplug it and plug it back into the stock relay.

Yes plug and play, not permanent.

Added benefit, no hyper flash if you switch to LED turn signals. Without this relay if you switch out both front and back turn signal bulbs to LED without a resistor, you get fast blinking turn signals. With this relay, there's no need for resistors. My led turn signal bulbs come tomorrow so I can verify that soon.
The following 7 users liked this post by Ramacher:
Acrad (10-25-19), bbqsoup (12-03-19), Chasin (10-27-19), hzhao (10-25-19), John00 (10-25-19), ObsidianBl (10-25-19), Otherone (10-28-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-19, 05:47 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

And it's done! Measures 5.75" from end to end without relay and 7" with relay, shorten enough for you @Chasin ? :P

Next step is to see if I can turn this into a Y harness so you can use the trailer functions of the stock relay and the flasher functions of the Smart Tap at the same time.

As mentioned before, only thing I don't like is how loud the relay clicks, so I wrapped it in foam then wrapped that in electrical tape. If I remember to stop bn audio store I'll pick up some sound deadening material and try that..

18 pin to 8 pin harness

5.75" Without Relay

7" with relay

Plugged in and tucked away

Sound Deadening

Sound Deadening
The following 5 users liked this post by Ramacher:
Acrad (10-26-19), Chasin (10-27-19), hzhao (10-27-19), John00 (10-27-19), ObsidianBl (10-26-19)
Old 10-27-19, 05:35 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

might want to either take internal temp readings or contact the manufacturer. theres going to be heat dissipated inside there, even when not turning, and now you are basically insulating it and preventing the heat from leaving.
even if a small amount per the time, some electronics have been known to get damaged this way.
is there a stated current draw? can then convert this into watts and get an idea of the heat.

if you do contact them, maybe suggest using a transistor circuit in place of the relay, then theres no clicking.
Old 10-27-19, 06:13 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ramacher
And it's done! Measures 5.75" from end to end without relay and 7" with relay, shorten enough for you @Chasin ? :P
That looks terrific! Very professional. Count me in for one!
Old 10-27-19, 10:38 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by John00
might want to either take internal temp readings or contact the manufacturer. theres going to be heat dissipated inside there, even when not turning, and now you are basically insulating it and preventing the heat from leaving.
even if a small amount per the time, some electronics have been known to get damaged this way.
is there a stated current draw? can then convert this into watts and get an idea of the heat.

if you do contact them, maybe suggest using a transistor circuit in place of the relay, then theres no clicking.
In the couple days I had it plugged in with the test harness, I'd touch the relay every now and then and it wouldn't even be warm to the touch. Even after having the emergencies on for ~20 minutes. I see what you're saying but I'm not worried about heat with this relay.
Old 10-27-19, 05:33 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

How loud is it? Is it annoyingly loud? Or just more noticeable than stock?
Old 10-27-19, 09:06 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

How loud is it? Is it annoyingly loud? Or just more noticeable than stock?
Depends on your definition of annoying. Yes it's more noticeable than stock, think old toyota or honda. After I wrapped it in foam and electrical tape, it's at a comfortable/acceptable level for me.
Old 12-03-19, 12:06 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys new user here and a new owner for a 2014 gx460 premium!! I cant believe a 2014 lexus doesn't have one touch signaling i had actually told the dealer to enable that option as i thought it was disabled by previous owner during the test drive but since it was a Saturday they are suppose to get back to me abt it tomorrow or Wednesday but by now i realize its not something they can enable at the dealership ..

I came across this could someone tell me if this is plug n play
Tap Turn

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/or...ect_restrict=1

Thank you
Old 12-03-19, 04:52 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dildildil
Your Post
Interesting, very interesting.

Quick Reply: Lane change auto flashing mod completed