GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 or Volvo XC90???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 10:31 AM
Tarf23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the market for a 15 GX460. Trying to decide between on a base gx 460 15 w 22k miles for 39k from a non lexus dealer. Other one is CPO 2015 for 41k with 31k miles. with premium package. Difference in trade in is about 1k less from lexus dealer.
Old 04-29-18, 08:12 AM
VentoGT
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I'm on the same boat right now. l really like the GX but it just isn't big enough for my family (the 3rd row and the cargo space), the LX is a possibility depending on the end of the year discount. I think the Q7 would be a better choice out of all cross overs. I just don't know how reliable Audi's are now days.
Do yourself a favor and drive a VW Atlas. 6y/72K warranty and a hell of a value...and ENORMOUS inside but nice to drive. The Q7 back seats are terrible due to the rake of the roofline

Last edited by VentoGT; 04-29-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 11:25 AM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru Ascent is coming, my second choice to the GX/LX's. Watched a stock '17 Forester own a lifted Land Cruiser with lockers up a steep muddy rocky incline with rainwater coming down.
Old 04-29-18, 11:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Subaru Ascent is coming, my second choice to the GX/LX's. Watched a stock '17 Forester own a lifted Land Cruiser with lockers up a steep muddy rocky incline with rainwater coming down.
Too many variables to know why... could be a bad tires on the LC. Lockers don't magically give bad tires traction. Dangerous for a stock Subaru to try that as well if rocky. Stand a chance of punching a rock through the oil pan. Most of the old time Subi owners complain about the PT systems used on some models. I think you need a turbo model to get one of the decent versions.
Old 04-29-18, 04:44 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

CVT is terrible.
Old 04-29-18, 07:25 PM
VentoGT
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
CVT is terrible.
Affirmative. Drove a Rogue for a rental the other week and while the car was passble the transmission drove me nuts
Old 04-30-18, 10:37 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by VentoGT
Do yourself a favor and drive a VW Atlas. 6y/72K warranty and a hell of a value...and ENORMOUS inside but nice to drive. The Q7 back seats are terrible due to the rake of the roofline
Thought about that as well, Although it is roomy, the reliability (planning on keeping it for at least 10 years), lack of offroading capability and fwd babed all wheel drive isn’t the best to drive. And there are lot of complaints and quality issues with the Atlas.

Saw the audi q7 in person and the trunk space seems deep but the height is very low. I wasn’t able to fit a stroller upright. And something about audi dealership rubs me the wrong way. Lol

I keep going back to the GX, The space seems small but they are useful space. And quality and reliability is hard to beat. Just gotta figure out which to get wither premium or luxury.
Old 04-30-18, 10:43 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
CVT is terrible.
Yes it does. And i just dont know about 2.5 turbo engine on a suv. It is torquey but too jerky for a comfortable drive.
Old 05-06-18, 02:23 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I ran

Me and dw really liked the design and fit of the volvo and never drove one before so decided we try it out. The sales person, dw and I went for a test drive around the block and the engine shut down 3 times.

First time I was at a stop around 2 blocks from the dealer and the salesan told me to turn it back on...drove for another 500 ft before it shut down on its own. Drove back to the dealer as soon as I can and on the curb of the parking lot it shutoff again. I turned it back on, parked it on the lot and gave the keys back to the salesman and we just left without thinking twice. We have no regrets.

Hopefully your experience will be different.
Old 05-06-18, 03:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

“I ran” ha, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-18, 05:59 AM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

We just had a 2016 Subaru Forester XT (turbo) with 33,000 miles on it. All new subaru turbo cars since 2014 now have the CVT trans if they have an automatic. The CVT is disappointing to drive and the new Subaru FA20DIT engine is a big piece of poo. Uses oil and washes the oil down with Gasoline so bad that it actually fills the crankcase over full.... they don’t have direct injection mastered, and the engine was already needing a cleaning of the intake valves at 30,000 miles as it was blowing out huge puffs of carbon smoke every time we gassed it. We only ever used premium fuel at all times. It was my 9th Subaru and will likely be the last forever or at least for a long time. I used to build Subaru race/street engines as a hobby-side and I enjoyed the EJ20/EJ25 engines and the excellent automatic transmissions they had, as well as the great 6 speeds; 5 speeds were a little weak on modded cars, but still held up if not purely abused.

We traded the 2016 Forester XT in towards the 2012 GX460 and my wife really likes the GX460, even though it is a little older, as she can tell it is a much better quality vehicle.

If you don’t mind pestering the Subaru dealer all the time and having them tell you that they don’t know what is wrong and “that’s just how it is”, go and buy the new Ascent......

The way our CVT trans was acting, and how bad the engine was running (rough idle, degraded fuel mileage, carbon buildup) and needing expensive cleaning service so often, I couldn’t stand to keep it anymore.

Old 05-10-18, 06:50 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"The way our CVT trans was acting, and how bad the engine was running (rough idle, degraded fuel mileage, carbon buildup) and needing expensive cleaning service so often, I couldn’t stand to keep it anymore."

I've been there. 2008 forester xt purchased new, returned as lemon for piston slap, replaced with new 2009 xt sold after 26k miles. New 2009 impreza outback sport sold after 46k miles, new 2010 outback sold at 120k miles cvt torque converter gave out. Im never going back to cvt...ever.
Old 05-10-18, 11:01 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VentoGT
I really don't like how Atlas looks. In the market for a 7 seater SUV, and the only option that comes to mind is GX460, GL450 or possibly Q7.
Old 05-11-18, 06:24 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The MB is really nice, but I cringe at the maintenance costs as it gets older... I tend to keep my cars long term.
Old 05-11-18, 09:29 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

From my experience, the maintenance cost between MB and Lexus has been virtually the same. Unless you are keeping the car over 10 years, cost shouldn't be the issue.

Quick Reply: GX460 or Volvo XC90???