GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 or Volvo XC90???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 01:25 AM
JZNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GX460 or Volvo XC90???

I am in the market for a new mid-size SUV. I've been eyeing on the GX460 for quite some time but recently have also learned more about Volvo XC90. Obviously the XC90 has a lot more advanced tech packages and I understand that GX460 is a different type of car (body on frame).

My question is that if I plan to drive this car 10+ years, which car is more reliable? I don't mind spending more money on the car if it's worth it but would hate to waste time and money in the dealership trying to fix problems here and there.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-18, 01:45 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude do not keep that Volvo off warranty. Its a great car to lease, enjoy it while its new for those first two or three years, but after that you dump it. It has a supercharged and turbocharged 4 cylinder mickey mouse engine making over 300hp under the hood. I just do not trust that level of complex parts to last over the long term.

The GX460 is the car you keep, the car you rack miles up on. Its a Toyota truck(aka Toyota Prado in other markets, available in very less plush trims and with diesel engines), they are very well built, they are designed to last and give you as little trouble as possible. Toyota designs its trucks rack up the miles, the bigger Land Cruiser has a 25 year life cycle designed into it, not sure of how many miles its designed to last, but I've driven those full size 90's and early 00's Land Cruisers with 200k, 250k, 300k on them and they didn't rattle, they drove/ran like new cars.
Old 04-15-18, 06:26 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I have been driving new XC90 for about a year as a company car while I was in Asia. With a lots of weight cutting for the 2.0L engine to be able to move a big body like XC90, the XC90 just don't feel the solid footing as you are in GX. For granted, it's a completely difference class of vehicle. I totally agree with Aron9000 said about engine, with such a complex setting, there is going to be issues and problems along the way. One more thing is the body shape, it does looks much better that previous generation, but generates such wind noise at highway speed, especially in the tail, you almost feels the tailgate had some sort of seal problem. There are lots of safety technologies on the car, they gave the name of Volvo Sense City Safety. Safety is the traditional selling point of Volvo. But, those are all passive safety feature, you still won't be able to avoid if you got hit by the others. From the way it feels, I believe GX is much more solid if bad thing do happens.
Old 04-15-18, 08:18 AM
VentoGT
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For longevity, GX wins hands down--remember the UN is driving these things around in war torn areas across the globe in Prado trim and they are relied upon to not break and deliver people where they need to be in extremely difficult conditions. There is a reason that these things hold value so well; I'd agree with a previous poster that the Volvo is nice but I would not want to own almost anything out of warranty these days from Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, etc
Old 04-15-18, 09:03 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dude do not keep that Volvo off warranty. Its a great car to lease, enjoy it while its new for those first two or three years, but after that you dump it. It has a supercharged and turbocharged 4 cylinder mickey mouse engine making over 300hp under the hood. I just do not trust that level of complex parts to last over the long term.

The GX460 is the car you keep, the car you rack miles up on. Its a Toyota truck(aka Toyota Prado in other markets, available in very less plush trims and with diesel engines), they are very well built, they are designed to last and give you as little trouble as possible. Toyota designs its trucks rack up the miles, the bigger Land Cruiser has a 25 year life cycle designed into it, not sure of how many miles its designed to last, but I've driven those full size 90's and early 00's Land Cruisers with 200k, 250k, 300k on them and they didn't rattle, they drove/ran like new cars.
+1
We looked at the XC90 too. My wife and I both wanted to love it, but the reliability issues kept us away (plus it seemed a litte smaller than the GX). I still find them to be very attractive and sometimes wonder if that's the route we should have gone. All the car magazines rave about them (and now the new XC40), the same with all the car shows on TV. However, there is at least one magazine that doesn't think too highly of them - Consumer Reports.
Old 04-15-18, 11:28 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JZNC
I am in the market for a new mid-size SUV. I've been eyeing on the GX460 for quite some time but recently have also learned more about Volvo XC90. Obviously the XC90 has a lot more advanced tech packages and I understand that GX460 is a different type of car (body on frame).

My question is that if I plan to drive this car 10+ years, which car is more reliable? I don't mind spending more money on the car if it's worth it but would hate to waste time and money in the dealership trying to fix problems here and there.

Thanks!
10+ years Gx

best all around vehicle until warranty Xc. the vehicle might be associated as weaker compared to the heavy brute GX but Id wager the XC90 is lightyears ahead in active (tech) and passive (tech and body structure) as safety is Volvos thing. The achilles heal is the e suite. Way too complex of a machine to keep for 10 yrs.

space wise the xc wins as well due to packaging. but its not like its an navigator L. Anything

By Passive Safety I mean things like this

As with anything life its a compromise between things

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-15-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 11:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I just think of the XC-90 as a vehicle I will one day see 10 years out on Junkyard Find (thetruthaboutcars.com).
Old 04-16-18, 12:38 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're not towing, and want the latest tech, go with the XC. If you're towing, off roading or need the V8, GX. The Volvo looks great, both are great overall, with the GX having the more heavy duty credentials.
Old 04-16-18, 01:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Undoubtedly lots of cool tech in the XC90 but after watching my neighbor have his '16 XC90 in the shop time and time again just not interested. I think he only purchased under a lease and told me he couldn't wait to turn it back in. This guy has had a string of Volvos over the years too.
Old 04-16-18, 02:22 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GX460 for reliability, durability and heavy duty chores. Volvo for economy latest tech and safety.

Forgot about the ditch test for sure.

Old 04-16-18, 02:57 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah if you really want to keep it that long, Lexus a much safer bet.

But admittedly the Volvo looks more like it would fit into 2028 (or even 2018) better than the Lexus.
Old 04-22-18, 01:47 AM
meat710
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It depends

I happen to own/drive both regularly (got the new XC90 for my wife and a used GX for myself) and here’s my though:

GX460

Reliable: GX460. Like all other said, it build and design to let you put a lot of miles on it without worry to bring it to the shop except regular maintenance. I denied all extended warranty offered by Lexus on the GX, but I asked for extended warranty on my wife’s XC90 (10yrs 120k for $2800).

Off-road/Tow: GX460. The functionality is out performed the XC90. Period

Visibility: GX460. This truck is higher, side mirror is bigger that give you a better view.

Engine/Power: GX460. When you press the gas on the GX or even start the engine, you feel the power (so as fuel lol). But don’t get me wrong, the XC90 respond quicker on gas, pick up faster than the GX, but the sound on the engine just doesn’t sound right, not solid IMO.

Now the XC90

Safety: XC90. It used the most Boron steel than any other car maker (MB, BMW, Audi etc), and a lot of crumple zone to minimize impact when hit by someone. And the tech features to prevent driver mistake to cause accident. Main reason I pick this car for my wife.

Technology: XC90. We are talking about Tesla tech on a gas car. A software based automobile.

Interior design/Comfort: XC90. The craftsmanship and comfort on the Swedish design is very attention to every detail.

3rd row seat/Cargo space: XC90. It can fit an adult up to 6’ comfortably without bending their legs that much. And still leave room to put stuff on cargo with the 3rd row seat up.

With all that in mind, I pick the GX for myself because it is fun to drive around with a solid drivetrain. And the XC for my wife because it is safe to drive with the nice and comfort cabin.

At the end, we both enjoy our ride but admit the pro and con on the other. Just like marriage I guess.

Last edited by meat710; 04-22-18 at 02:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by meat710:
Acrad (04-22-18), hzhao (04-22-18), jkonquer (04-22-18)
Old 04-22-18, 04:32 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by meat710
I happen to own/drive both regularly (got the new XC90 for my wife and a used GX for myself) and here’s my though:

GX460

Reliable: GX460. Like all other said, it build and design to let you put a lot of miles on it without worry to bring it to the shop except regular maintenance. I denied all extended warranty offered by Lexus on the GX, but I asked for extended warranty on my wife’s XC90 (10yrs 120k for $2800).

Off-road/Tow: GX460. The functionality is out performed the XC90. Period

Visibility: GX460. This truck is higher, side mirror is bigger that give you a better view.

Engine/Power: GX460. When you press the gas on the GX or even start the engine, you feel the power (so as fuel lol). But don’t get me wrong, the XC90 respond quicker on gas, pick up faster than the GX, but the sound on the engine just doesn’t sound right, not solid IMO.

Now the XC90

Safety: XC90. It used the most Boron steel than any other car maker (MB, BMW, Audi etc), and a lot of crumple zone to minimize impact when hit by someone. And the tech features to prevent driver mistake to cause accident. Main reason I pick this car for my wife.

Technology: XC90. We are talking about Tesla tech on a gas car. A software based automobile.

Interior design/Comfort: XC90. The craftsmanship and comfort on the Swedish design is very attention to every detail.

3rd row seat/Cargo space: XC90. It can fit an adult up to 6’ comfortably without bending their legs that much. And still leave room to put stuff on cargo with the 3rd row seat up.

With all that in mind, I pick the GX for myself because it is fun to drive around with a solid drivetrain. And the XC for my wife because it is safe to drive with the nice and comfort cabin.

At the end, we both enjoy our ride but admit the pro and con on the other. Just like marriage I guess.

Well said
Old 04-22-18, 09:21 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

If you decide on the Volvo, lease it so it's not your problem outside the warranty. Also, the resale is awful on Volvo, you can't give them away.

Volvo used to make a reliable, solid vehicle. That stopped in about the mid-1990s.
Old 04-22-18, 10:01 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The new engine on the Volvo is just not refined and feels it is always over working and it should from a 2.0 turbo/super charger. Not to mention they have many problems with the new touch screen based infotainment system, so bad that it made it to one of the least reliable car..

I'm on the same boat right now. l really like the GX but it just isn't big enough for my family (the 3rd row and the cargo space), the LX is a possibility depending on the end of the year discount. I think the Q7 would be a better choice out of all cross overs. I just don't know how reliable Audi's are now days.

Quick Reply: GX460 or Volvo XC90???