GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rear camera grid lines 2010-13?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 09:25 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
As long as the camera output conformed with NTSC signal format. It can be displayed. For most of aftermarket cameras do.
That’s good news. Thank you
Old 07-16-19, 10:27 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by John00
change the camera to one with the lines, matching the voltage
if you dont find a camera with the proper voltage, you can use a buck or boost power supply in there
i changed the camera on my ES no problem, i used the camera that had the wire to cut to remove the lines

I’m not sure what the connection looks like plugging into the OEM camera but will I need something like this?

And I know you also mentioned our factory camera system uses 6v power and aftermarkets are 12v, so would I need this converter as well. As you can tell I’m not a techie by any stretch. I may just buy the camera with the grids and take it to a mobile audio store and they can figure out the install
The following users liked this post:
John00 (07-17-19)
Old 07-16-19, 10:49 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Further researching on the dynamic guide lines, it is provided from Park Assist ECU. For US, there are only two versions of Park Assist ECUs available, one is for vehicle with Premier Sound and other for vehicle without. Another interesting thing I found in Techstream, there is a section "Parking assist guidance/Parking asset monitor" section, when I select it, it indicates "ECU not responding, or your vehicle is not support it". I am pretty sure this is where to enable/disable the guidance line. However, it has been "flagged" as unavailable by the system. Since the ECU has two version for different head units, my suspicious is the "flag" is set by head unit within the service menu. Because different head unit do have slightly different configuration on connection and possible output of triggering signals. The current fixed blue lines on back camera could be built into the camera firmware, that is why you have several versions of back cameras available and most of them described as "back camera w/ guideline".
Has there been any more info on this subject? I started a different thread about basically the same topic...No park assist gridlines. The only remedy I have heard working is aftermarket camera with built in gridlines. I have found many on eBay for under $20 but a few questions still exist. 1) do I need a 6v to 12v converter($17 on eBay) and do I need the Toyota harness to rca conversion hookup($18 on eBay). Another member John00 successfully added it to his 07 ES350.
Old 07-17-19, 04:49 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Ok, So it has been done. So you added a camera that had the grid lines but cancelled it out. Did you actually see the grid lines before deciding to eliminate them?
i did see them, heres what i did. i did a bench test on the parts with a different monitor. I saw lines, decided i didnt like them. not needed on the ES. this was an 06 ES330.
then i cut the wire loop for the lines and connected it into the car and it worked.
that ES system i believe was 12V, I didnt need a voltage converter. Also the connector matched (luck) and it was just plug and play in the trunk with this small round type plug.

the lines are imposed onto the signal at the camera, so if you can see the camera signal you will see the lines unless they are disabled.
theres only one signal going to the monitor
Old 07-17-19, 05:05 AM
John00
Racer

this one says GX. im sure the pics will disappear when the ad is gone so for now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXU...-/323073332352
unless someone wants to copy them here?

I would look up your year on here
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
or somewhere similar to match the part number

dorman 590-641 appears to be a replacement. without lines, but it also has the same connector although with an extension. so these two appear to agree on the connector type
Old 07-17-19, 10:04 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

this one says GX. im sure the pics will disappear when the ad is gone so for now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXU...-/323073332352
unless someone wants to copy them here?

I would look up your year on here
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
or somewhere similar to match the part number

dorman 590-641 appears to be a replacement. without lines, but it also has the same connector although with an extension. so these two appear to agree on the connector type
I’m sure that camera would fit but I think on the thread it was determined the factory camera wasn’t responsible for the grid lines, I think it was the drivers assist ECU or something. The camera I posted earlier has the lines superimposed already. So I’m looking to see if I buy that camera(it’s only like $20) how the connections would work. The back of the OEM camera has like a 6 pin plug receiver. I also posted a 6 pin to RCA wire that would turn the camera to plug and play...unless I need the 6v to 12v inverter.
Old 07-17-19, 12:52 PM
John00
Racer

that link was to an oem cam, at least that what it said
the aftermarket also on the second
the oem uses 4 lines, as seen in the pics at those links
maybe this helps
also there could be differences between some vehicles if theres more options, but the cameras should work the same

cv+ and cv- should be camera voltage
gnd connects to the shield which somewhere is grounded, most likely through an ecu
to power a 12v camera you could connect the 12v straight to the camera from the ign after disconnecting the ecu side of the wire (at the camera)

Old 07-17-19, 02:11 PM
John00
Racer

I’m sure that camera would fit but I think on the thread it was determined the factory camera wasn’t responsible for the grid lines, I think it was the drivers assist ECU or something. The camera I posted earlier has the lines superimposed already. So I’m looking to see if I buy that camera(it’s only like $20) how the connections would work. The back of the OEM camera has like a 6 pin plug receiver. I also posted a 6 pin to RCA wire that would turn the camera to plug and play...unless I need the 6v to 12v inverter.
im not saying to buy those.
that was in response to:
not sure what the connection looks like plugging into the OEM camera but will I need something like this?

so you can see the connection.
you could cut the oem harness off, the aftermarket connector off and solder everything.
Old 07-17-19, 09:56 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

im not saying to buy those.
that was in response to:
not sure what the connection looks like plugging into the OEM camera but will I need something like this?

so you can see the connection.
you could cut the oem harness off, the aftermarket connector off and solder everything.
Thank you for your help.
Old 08-13-19, 01:16 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I still have not attempted this mod. I don't think it would be that difficult. It seems I would need a $20 aftermarket rear camera with grid lines included in the camera, possibly need a 12v to 6v inverter and either cut the camera and factory harness and splice together or buy the factory harness conversion pig tail. My only concern would be if the factory camera could be reinstalled if the mod failed to work or I wasn't happy with the results.
Old 08-13-19, 05:05 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

I still have not attempted this mod. I don't think it would be that difficult. It seems I would need a $20 aftermarket rear camera with grid lines included in the camera, possibly need a 12v to 6v inverter and either cut the camera and factory harness and splice together or buy the factory harness conversion pig tail. My only concern would be if the factory camera could be reinstalled if the mod failed to work or I wasn't happy with the results.
If your concern is to get back to the factory camera, your can simply use the after market camera, just tapping the camera video output to V+ and signal ground to V- to the factory harness. Then tapping into the 12v from rear door lock component. If you decided to go back to OEM, just plug in the original harness.
Old 08-15-19, 04:32 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

If your concern is to get back to the factory camera, your can simply use the after market camera, just tapping the camera video output to V+ and signal ground to V- to the factory harness. Then tapping into the 12v from rear door lock component. If you decided to go back to OEM, just plug in the original harness.
I guess I had more questions than answers, I’m also thinking after installing aftermarket camera with gridlines will the grid pattern work with the dimensions of the GX? I’m figuring it’s a generic pattern that is used for small compact cars as well. I appreciate all the input and I may attempt it, I figure most eBay cameras are like $25 and maybe another $10 in misc. items. Well worth it if the grid lines show and provide an accurate pathway.
Old 08-15-19, 08:26 AM
John00
Racer

in the other thread (anyone know where?) it was stated that the GX OEM lines are aligned with the mirrors i believe. the aftermarkets wont be.
could still be helpful for those who want to align with something visible on the screen
Old 08-15-19, 08:54 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

in the other thread (anyone know where?) it was stated that the GX OEM lines are aligned with the mirrors i believe. the aftermarkets wont be.
could still be helpful for those who want to align with something visible on the screen
That's correct. The OEM line represent the width from mirror tips.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (08-15-19)
Old 08-15-19, 09:01 AM
John00
Racer

many cameras have adjustable grid lines. these are usually not adjusted with the monitor, they are adjusted within the camera itself. a power cycle sequence is used, then the camera goes through various grid settings, then the power cycle again to store that version. i dont know which cameras do this and which do not

Quick Reply: Rear camera grid lines 2010-13?