GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 09:49 PM
burnthe
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write hzhao! I'm currently installing the harness on my vehicle and wanted to ask you where you used a power wire for the camera hook up? thank you in advance!
Old 04-28-18, 05:08 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by burnthe
Thanks for the detailed write hzhao! I'm currently installing the harness on my vehicle and wanted to ask you where you used a power wire for the camera hook up? thank you in advance!
You have several options for the power. I tapped the power from the fuse box above the parking break paddle. Here is a pic that I had with my previous mod for addition power sockets where I tapped power source from. This is an ACC power source, only live with ignition on.

Old 04-28-18, 12:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I wish this was a '10-'13 option or I had already gotten front stock camera to work. It might have saved my front bumper last weekend. If nothing else I might install some kind of aftermarket camera system I can at least temporarily plug in when off-road.
Old 04-28-18, 12:26 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I wish this was a '10-'13 option or I had already gotten front stock camera to work. It might have saved my front bumper last weekend. If nothing else I might install some kind of aftermarket camera system I can at least temporarily plug in when off-road.
I do think it does add more value when off-roading.
Old 04-28-18, 07:50 PM
burnthe
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, thanks hzhao!
Old 04-28-18, 08:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

Awesome, thanks hzhao!
Your welcome. I learned a lot from members on this forum and credits goes to everyone who contributed from various mods experiences. There is a topic discussed mainly on adding power outlet to the second row and had lots of suggestions on routing the power source. Just do a search and you should be easy to find them.
Old 04-28-18, 08:07 PM
hzhao
Racer

Awesome, thanks hzhao!
Here is a more in depth discussion on finding power sources: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Old 04-28-18, 10:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Your welcome. I learned a lot from members on this forum and credits goes to everyone who contributed from various mods experiences. There is a topic discussed mainly on adding power outlet to the second row and had lots of suggestions on routing the power source. Just do a search and you should be easy to find them.

+1... this is indeed a valuable forum and I too appreciate the participation, knowledge, feedback and overall collaboration we have here among us all
Old 05-21-18, 11:19 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
You have several options for the power. I tapped the power from the fuse box above the parking break paddle. Here is a pic that I had with my previous mod for addition power sockets where I tapped power source from. This is an ACC power source, only live with ignition on.

Do you have link to purchase the red wire with the fuse adapter end?
Old 05-21-18, 11:34 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Amazon carries the “add a fuse” or “add a circuit”. The GX uses a low profile mini fuse. Be sure to purchase the correct style.

The fuse needs to be installed a certain way. New fuse for your new source goes on top. Original fuse is closer to the bottom prongs.

Also make sure the 12v power Is going the correct direction. Google image search “add a fuse install” there are some pictures showing the correct way. It’s a lot easier visually than explaining via text
Old 05-22-18, 05:56 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by GX460PREM

Do you have link to purchase the red wire with the fuse adapter end?
Here it is:
​​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-01-18, 11:08 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Hzhao,
Was there an option to have the front camera come on automatically? Their website says under 9mph and the front camera activates similar to the stock LX.
Old 09-01-18, 04:07 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Hzhao,
Was there an option to have the front camera come on automatically? Their website says under 9mph and the front camera activates similar to the stock LX.
Yes, you can. The BestSonic module has a input to accept the speed signal off the Lexus Nav unit, which will switch the camera on when the speed is below 8 mph (or so). However, this is different as on LX. On LX, the front camera can be set to turn on automatically when the front parking sensors detects objects during low speed. But with BeatSonic, it only triggers with speed, that means, every time when you are stop at traffic stop and/or approach stop sign, the front camera turns on. I am not sure if that is what you will want in daily life. I decided to not using that feature. In fact, with my 2016 LX, I have also disabled front camera auto on feature. Because every time the front sensor detects anything, the camera will come on if this feature was "on". Imagine in Northeast Ohio Winter, little accumulated snow on front sensor could trigger the warning, and also turn on the front camera..... That is not what I want. Press a button to view the front is not that bad at all.

For off roading, with my LX, camera will turn on automatically when MTS or Crawl Control is selected with guide lines. That is very nice and useful.
Old 06-28-19, 06:47 PM
gx460sd
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the difference between the radio units of 10-13 models that makes this only work with 14+?
Old 06-28-19, 07:06 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by gx460sd
What's the difference between the radio units of 10-13 models that makes this only work with 14+?
The back end connection harnesses between radio/NAV unit to display part (the upper half) are different. The harnesses provided by BeatSonic is designed to fit 14+ systems.

Quick Reply: Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences