GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19 | 07:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gx460sd
What's the difference between the radio units of 10-13 models that makes this only work with 14+?
Completely different head unit and has video input options the 10-13 model lacks.

I would totally do this mod myself if I had a '14+ model.

Old 06-28-19 | 07:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

What's the difference between the radio units of 10-13 models that makes this only work with 14+?
You can, however, by pass the harnesses provided by BeatSonic by tapping the the 10-13 display harness to make it work. you only need insert BeatSonic device into 5 wires: ACC power, Ground, Reverse trigger, Camera signal. In reality, for any car, you can utilize BeatSonic device in the same way.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19 | 07:16 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

hzhao... thanks! You have me thinking about this mod again! :-)
Old 06-28-19 | 07:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
hzhao... thanks! You have me thinking about this mod again! :-)
Go for it! It is pretty straight forward mod. I am sure that you already have the display main harnesses pin assignment. BeatSonic wires are clearly marked as well.
Old 06-28-19 | 09:23 PM
gx460sd
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
You can, however, by pass the harnesses provided by BeatSonic by tapping the the 10-13 display harness to make it work. you only need insert BeatSonic device into 5 wires: ACC power, Ground, Reverse trigger, Camera signal. In reality, for any car, you can utilize BeatSonic device in the same way.
That's good news, I think I'll need to research the harness pinout a bit to see if the camera signal can be tapped. I'm assuming this camera signal wire is the reverse cam in stock form? So the front cam needs to share it somehow?
Old 06-29-19 | 07:27 AM
hzhao
Racer

That's good news, I think I'll need to research the harness pinout a bit to see if the camera signal can be tapped. I'm assuming this camera signal wire is the reverse cam in stock form? So the front cam needs to share it somehow?
The BeatSonic concept is pretty simple and straight forward. BeatSonic device (a small module) will be inline between OEM reverse camera signal to display. The module has an added input for front (or any other video signal that you like for that matter). By pressing the trigger switch, the module sends the selected video signal (OEM reverse camera or front camera) along with reverse trigger signal to enable the display of image. If shift gear engages the reverse position, it acts as the trigger switch of BeatSonic for selecting the reverse camera source by default. So, as long as you figured out those pins out, you can apply BeatSonic to just about any cars or trucks, even with after market reverse camera.
Old 08-29-19 | 03:08 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Great write up....So much so I just ordered the Interface and switch, But! What about the Camera? the Beat Sonic is Crazy expensive.
What about this one?
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-29-19 | 08:23 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
Great write up....So much so I just ordered the Interface and switch, But! What about the Camera? the Beat Sonic is Crazy expensive.
What about this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7PKNA61Q2Y1862
That works fine. I actually start with an after market camera just like that from Amazon, late, just for the appearance, I modified settings with an OEM camera.
Old 08-30-19 | 09:35 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

What do you mean by "Modified settings"?
Old 08-30-19 | 04:38 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
What do you mean by "Modified settings"?
Sorry for confusion, what I meant to change the setting in my 360 surrundview setup due to different in view range. Nothing to do with Beatsonic setup.
Old 10-24-19 | 08:18 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Has anyone figured out the pinout for a 10-13? I'm really loving this idea!
Acrad (10-24-19)
Old 02-23-20 | 08:13 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

So I completed this on my 2014 and thought I'd pass this info along to anyone considering buying this system: first of all, BeatSonic's customer service is fantastic. However, I found a really big annoyance with the system that I don't think has been mentioned yet on here - anytime the battery dies or is disconnected, both the front and rear cameras will stop working until you pull the BeatSonic wiring out and reset it. So anytime you mess with the battery, the dash has to come apart. I don't think it would have swayed my decision to buy it, but it's definitely something I would have like to know ahead of time. I've attached the reset guide that BeatSonic sent - this is also included in the packaging, but it is just called a troubleshooting guide and doesn't mention anything about having to be done when power is disconnected.

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by dwh13:
ltsr (02-24-20), phile (01-29-22)
Old 02-23-20 | 09:45 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwh13
So I completed this on my 2014 and thought I'd pass this info along to anyone considering buying this system: first of all, BeatSonic's customer service is fantastic. However, I found a really big annoyance with the system that I don't think has been mentioned yet on here - anytime the battery dies or is disconnected, both the front and rear cameras will stop working until you pull the BeatSonic wiring out and reset it. So anytime you mess with the battery, the dash has to come apart. I don't think it would have swayed my decision to buy it, but it's definitely something I would have like to know ahead of time. I've attached the reset guide that BeatSonic sent - this is also included in the packaging, but it is just called a troubleshooting guide and doesn't mention anything about having to be done when power is disconnected.
Would one of those OBD memory settings savers work in this scenario?
This one is made by NOCO.
https://no.co/gbc012
Acrad (02-23-20)
Old 02-23-20 | 06:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by dwh13
I am glad that you mentioned it here. I was first discovered that issue when I was working on my install. I had called BeatSonic and thinking it might be the defect of the unit itself. However, unit didn't have this information included and I was found that by accident during my own trouble shooting the unit. I reported it back to BeatSonic on this behavior and I guess they tried it and now included that information. My guessing Driver Assist ECU is generating the error after disconnecting the battery, the logic behind it I guess was the initial ECU test for camera signal presents were quicker than BeatSonic startup to provide the signal, which caused ECU to disable the output. Just a wild guess since there is no actually error code generated. However if you do doing into the diagnose screen on GX, it will display: No Reverse Camera Detected.

Luckily, it is far and between that we need to disconnect battery or lost power to ECU. Yes it is kind of hassle that to take it apart just to reset.
Old 02-24-20 | 06:44 PM
sinistar
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
I am glad that you mentioned it here. I was first discovered that issue when I was working on my install. I had called BeatSonic and thinking it might be the defect of the unit itself. However, unit didn't have this information included and I was found that by accident during my own trouble shooting the unit. I reported it back to BeatSonic on this behavior and I guess they tried it and now included that information. My guessing Driver Assist ECU is generating the error after disconnecting the battery, the logic behind it I guess was the initial ECU test for camera signal presents were quicker than BeatSonic startup to provide the signal, which caused ECU to disable the output. Just a wild guess since there is no actually error code generated. However if you do doing into the diagnose screen on GX, it will display: No Reverse Camera Detected.

Luckily, it is far and between that we need to disconnect battery or lost power to ECU. Yes it is kind of hassle that to take it apart just to reset.
This was pretty much the only mod I was planning to do, so this new info is extremely disappointing, and for now I consider it a deal breaker. I may contact BeatSonic to see if they have any plans to produce an updated version that avoids this.

In the meantime, Hzhao, do you think a simple workaround is possible by adding some kind of reset switch tucked somewhere under the dash, but still easily reachable? Or now that I'm looking at the reset guide, maybe run RCA cable extensions long enough to poke out somewhere where they can be reconnected without tearing anything apart. Might be something to consider for anyone else planning to do this mod soon, so they can avoid a complete dash removal should the battery become disconnected.

Quick Reply: Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences