GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20 | 01:41 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by sinistar
This was pretty much the only mod I was planning to do, so this new info is extremely disappointing, and for now I consider it a deal breaker. I may contact BeatSonic to see if they have any plans to produce an updated version that avoids this.

In the meantime, Hzhao, do you think a simple workaround is possible by adding some kind of reset switch tucked somewhere under the dash, but still easily reachable? Or now that I'm looking at the reset guide, maybe run RCA cable extensions long enough to poke out somewhere where they can be reconnected without tearing anything apart. Might be something to consider for anyone else planning to do this mod soon, so they can avoid a complete dash removal should the battery become disconnected.
Not sure if a simple reset would be achievable. The symptom is there needs to be the video signal presents for EUC to reset. Logically, there are two variables to consider: a) the presence of video signal tells EUC to provide "reverse" trigger when shift into to reverse, and/or b) the presence of video signal enable the part of EUC function for selecting the display source. One thing for sure that Lexus reverse camera is in "On" status with ACC in fact. That kind of supported my above guesses.

If a) was true, the easiest way to do so would be provide the reverse trigger on your own, not rely on EUC. You can simply using a relay connected with reverse lights and supply a 12v trigger to the display (or BeatSonic module for that matter). If b) was the case, things are little complicated. You could adding a bypass video switch to bypass the video signal directly to the display in theory. But you are dealing with the low voltage video sin wave signal with low impedance (75 ohms), you are subjected to all kinds of interferences in that area.

If you want to venture into this reset option, I would try the option a) as it is more logical in my opinion. I stop shot of trying to add an "reset" option, as for my experiences, the only reset that I have to perform so far was after the airbag recall service which did lost battery connection for a long periods of time.

The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (02-26-20), sinistar (02-27-20)
Old 01-09-22 | 06:20 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The following users liked this post:
sinistar (01-09-22)
Old 01-09-22 | 08:49 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

I saw Bob's video earlier. It's too bad that GXes with front sensors won't be able to use this mod. I personally would love to have this on mine.
Old 01-09-22 | 11:01 AM
sinistar
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
I had the same question originally. I had asked question before I placed order. What Beat Sonic referring to "Park Assist" is the vehicle has OEM "WIdeview and Side monitor" system. Actually Lexus call it "Park Assist Monitor". That was confusing and I wish Beat Sonic would make it more clear. The interface has nothing to do with Park Assist Sonar system, or Lexus called "Intuitive Park Assist". It still works as it should be.
Originally Posted by Seanzky
I saw Bob's video earlier. It's too bad that GXes with front sensors won't be able to use this mod. I personally would love to have this on mine.
Actually, from what I understand per Hzhao's earlier posts, front parking sensors are not an obstacle for this mod.

What's still preventing me from implementing this mod, which I very much want to do, is how the camera is disabled if the battery is disconnected, and how you have to remove the dash to reset it. Unless there has been an update/solution on that?
Old 01-09-22 | 11:58 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Actually, from what I understand per Hzhao's earlier posts, front parking sensors are not an obstacle for this mod.

What's still preventing me from implementing this mod, which I very much want to do, is how the camera is disabled if the battery is disconnected, and how you have to remove the dash to reset it. Unless there has been an update/solution on that?
Ohhh!!! That makes more sense now. I completely forgot about trims with the 360-degree cameras.
Old 01-09-22 | 03:25 PM
hzhao
Racer

That is correct, the disconnecting battery will result the disable the module and needs the reset but reconnecting the OEM camera feed bypass the module. I have added a simple reset switch under the dash above the break panel area to re-route OEM backup camera feed to bypass the Beatsonic module when a reset is needed. That worked very well and eliminate have to open the center stack and manually reset.

BTW, one thing to keep in mind, the module is NOT compatible with GX with OEM Driver Support Package. The description from Beatsonic is somewhat confusing for that regards.
Old 01-10-22 | 12:15 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
That is correct, the disconnecting battery will result the disable the module and needs the reset but reconnecting the OEM camera feed bypass the module. I have added a simple reset switch under the dash above the break panel area to re-route OEM backup camera feed to bypass the Beatsonic module when a reset is needed. That worked very well and eliminate have to open the center stack and manually reset.

BTW, one thing to keep in mind, the module is NOT compatible with GX with OEM Driver Support Package. The description from Beatsonic is somewhat confusing for that regards.
Can you explain a bit about how you wired the reset switch? I need to do that with mine because removing the dash after a battery dies has been a pain.
Old 01-11-22 | 06:03 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by dwh13
Can you explain a bit about how you wired the reset switch? I need to do that with mine because removing the dash after a battery dies has been a pain.
I will write and draw something up for your reference later today as I am traveling right now.
Old 01-11-22 | 08:12 AM
hzhao
Racer

Here is what I have done for the reset option: you will need some male and female RCA connectors, I just cut some off the standard video cables. I used a generic 2x2 rocket switch that I bought from Amazon (
Amazon Amazon
). I have mounted the switch under the dash where is an opening was for PSA switch that is open for GX without Driver Support Package. Below is my non-engineering draw of the wire diagram and picture of switch and it’s mounting area. For resetting, just flip the switch that sends the reverse video directly to headunit, flip other way re-engage the BeatSonic switch. Simple and effective.

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-11-22)