Whining/Pump Noise for 15 seconds after starting 15GXLux

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 08:23 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Whining/Pump Noise for 15 seconds after starting 15GXLux

Hi,
I have a 2015 Lux, and (very often) hear a pump of some sort running (most times) immediately after starting, sounds like a vacuum cleaner, for approx 15 seconds, from somewhere under the hood.
Is it the air suspension, secondary air pump, or something else... of course it didn’t do it in front of my “service advisor”.
I mentioned the secondary air pump, and he scoffed, telling me it was the suspension leveler.... even though I always assumed that was in the rear, as I hear it there when I change suspension height settings.

Anyone know?Thanks.

Last edited by User21c; 05-05-18 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Elaborated... :-)
Old 05-05-18, 08:27 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Likely fuel pump
Old 05-05-18, 08:36 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Wow, if that’s it, it’s a really loud fuel pump....
I forgot to mention the dealer thought it was the leveling system, but wasn’t sure. (Is the air pump for the rear air bags in the front, under the hood? I thought it was in the rear (I’ve heard it run before), but the dealer said that was the evaporative control pump I heard... a few hours after parking.

Thanks, appreciate the reply.
Old 05-05-18, 04:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

The secondary air intake runs for about 15 seconds on a cold start and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. You can verify this by opening the hood before start up and going to the front passenger side of the truck. Before I installed the bypasss I had the internal filter removed with an external filter installed and I don’t have the engine cover on my truck. It is pretty loud with that setup.
Old 05-05-18, 04:04 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Most likely the secondary air injection pump. Should sound like a vacuum cleaner. Get a mechanics stethoscope if you want to check what makes the sound.
Old 05-05-18, 04:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Like others have said normal... the GX would probably be pretty quiet on startup aside from the mechanical engine fan and that emissions air mattress blower.
Old 05-07-18, 02:26 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Old fashioned engine cooling fan is belted to the motor and is clutched to save fuel
and run quietly. Designed so that if it fails it fails engaged and cooling rather than
declutched (unclutched?) and letting the engine overheat. It is always engaged on
start up and quiets down 10-12 seconds later if the engine is not hot. Same design
as a 20 year old Chevy Silverado...
Old 05-07-18, 03:49 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Free virtual beers to those that suggested the secondary air injection... not the fuel pump or fan... this time.
My service advisor that said it was the leveling pump is buying....

Thanks!
Old 06-20-18, 04:53 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

My gx is 4 weeks new to me (2013 with 108k miles) about 2 weeks ago I did the Uni-Filter mod in fear of the filter crapping out and messing everything up.

Last Friday I went to an off-road park (soft sand, mud, and hard dried mud/sand) and after that I power washed the engine. It wasn't until last Saturday I noticed the air injection pump is making a high pitched noise.

Are you guys sure it's normal or did I damage the pump by possibly getting water in it while it was running?

I'm gonna go take the cover off now and take a peek in it. Also now that I see the warranty is extended to 10yrs/150k, I might put the original filter back on because if it goes out, I'd rather lexus cover the repair then deny the repair due to a small modification.
Old 06-20-18, 04:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Or just keep the parts in rig. It is easy to put back in. You could always keep that top cover over the radiator area off as well. It would take less than 5 minutes to swap back in. IMO: What you have done is an attempt to avert issues... you aren't trying to pull a fast one on Lexus.

Originally Posted by Ramacher
My gx is 4 weeks new to me (2013 with 108k miles) about 2 weeks ago I did the Uni-Filter mod in fear of the filter crapping out and messing everything up.

Last Friday I went to an off-road park (soft sand, mud, and hard dried mud/sand) and after that I power washed the engine. It wasn't until last Saturday I noticed the air injection pump is making a high pitched noise.
Are you guys sure it's normal or did I damage the pump by possibly getting water in it while it was running?

I'm gonna go take the cover off now and take a peek in it. Also now that I see the warranty is extended to 10yrs/150k, I might put the original filter back on because if it goes out, I'd rather lexus cover the repair then deny the repair due to a small modification.
Old 06-20-18, 06:16 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Or just keep the parts in rig. It is easy to put back in. You could always keep that top cover over the radiator area off as well. It would take less than 5 minutes to swap back in. IMO: What you have done is an attempt to avert issues... you aren't trying to pull a fast one on Lexus.
Yeah I keep them in a little tool bag in the back. It's not that I'm trying to pull a fast one on them, it's that I don't want to give them an excuse to deny covering the repairs due to a "modification".

Anyway I took off the cover of the pump and it's clean as a whistle. No whining this time, car has been off for 2.5 hours, maybe it wasn't long enough for it to cool down. I'll pay attention to it in the morning. Also ran techstream and no pending codes.
Old 06-20-18, 06:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I know... I was just trying to quell you concerns. I keep mine in a bag in the back rear door panel. If I were to put the foam back in and add the intake it would look totally stock. I may be having a false memory but I thought I remember a post or thread where someone either asked or went into dealer with failure (and modded) and it wasn't considered a big deal.. they would fix anyway.

Yeah I keep them in a little tool bag in the back. It's not that I'm trying to pull a fast one on them, it's that I don't want to give them an excuse to deny covering the repairs due to a "modification".

Anyway I took off the cover of the pump and it's clean as a whistle. No whining this time, car has been off for 2.5 hours, maybe it wasn't long enough for it to cool down. I'll pay attention to it in the morning. Also ran techstream and no pending codes.
Old 06-20-18, 06:55 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

I know... I was just trying to quell you concerns. I keep mine in a bag in the back rear door panel. If I were to put the foam back in and add the intake it would look totally stock. I may be having a false memory but I thought I remember a post or thread where someone either asked or went into dealer with failure (and modded) and it wasn't considered a big deal.. they would fix anyway.
Ok, that does make me feel better, but also could see it be up to the dealer/service centers judgement.

I took mine in a week after I bought it for the airbag recall. I told the service agent that it was new to me and she said I should of brought it in before purchasing as they would of done the 360 point (or whatever it is) inspection for free. They went ahead and did anyway, told me the timing cover is leaking oil (which I noticed before I bought the vehicle) but they said it's a very slow leak and not to worry about it. I was surprised they weren't pushy at all. Thet me know the tires need to be changed (which I noticed and already did at discount tire), brakes will need to be serviced soon, recommended I come in for the 115k service, gave me estimates on everything else but again, weren't pushing me to do anything. I also got a free car wash and full tank of gas
Old 06-23-18, 12:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

They went ahead and did anyway, told me the timing cover is leaking oil (which I noticed before I bought the vehicle) but they said it's a very slow leak and not to worry about it.
Are you able to see anything down there with a flashlight? I think around the AC compressor area is most common if this leak occurs. That would be driver side on front of engine.
Old 06-25-18, 09:13 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Are you able to see anything down there with a flashlight? I think around the AC compressor area is most common if this leak occurs. That would be driver side on front of engine.
It' on the underside of the block on the passenger side behind the alternator and I think the power steering pump if I remember correctly. I noticed it when I was test driving vehicle before purchasing it. I parked in a parking lot, turned the steering all the way to the right and looked in through the wheel well. I've been monitoring the oil level and it hasn't changed, Lexus service advisor said it's very minor and doesn't recommend fixing it right now as it's around $4k for them to repair.