GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 11:08 AM
newbie460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they're not folded on startup. i leave the mirrors in the 'out' position 24/7, but when i start the car it thinks the mirror is still folded and keeps trying to fold it out, hence the clicking. i'm sure some gear in there is stripped
Old 02-05-20, 02:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I picked up one of these as spare motor for mirror on recommendation of a GXOR member from Ukraine who had replaced one of their motors. Cheap standby part at around $35 if I ever lose one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33051278679.html

Old 02-05-20, 04:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

How many spare parts do you have for your GX Acrad?
Is a failure well known with this part?
Old 02-05-20, 04:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I don't think it is a common failure. I just considered cost of full mirror assembly replacement, potential to simply break the mechanism through my own negligence or increased wear and tear of mechanism with the auto folding OBD module. The cost for spare was relatively minimal and wasn't sure how available this part would be in the future.

I do have a box of stuff I have collected. :-)

I need to inventory at some point.
The following users liked this post:
tecman (02-05-20)
Old 02-06-20, 12:00 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I don't think it is a common failure. I just considered cost of full mirror assembly replacement, potential to simply break the mechanism through my own negligence or increased wear and tear of mechanism with the auto folding OBD module. The cost for spare was relatively minimal and wasn't sure how available this part would be in the future.

I do have a box of stuff I have collected. :-)

I need to inventory at some point.
can you elaborate on the auto folding mode through OBD? Pretty new to this GX stuff
Old 02-06-20, 02:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eNx
can you elaborate on the auto folding mode through OBD? Pretty new to this GX stuff
A lot of info on topic here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...g-mirrors.html
Old 02-06-20, 05:46 AM
newbie460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh neat that would be a good solution also. is replacing this motor pretty straightforward? it is crazy how much these mirrors cost!

Old 02-06-20, 03:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Not sure how straight forward it is to change motor. This isn't a procedure listed in FSM
Old 02-07-20, 06:10 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Update in the OP. Thanks again tecman!
Old 03-13-20, 11:42 AM
jakemccurd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Side Mirrors Repair Help

We just bought a GX 460 and got a great deal but it was wholesale so there's a few issues to be addressed. Top of the list are the janky sideview mirrors. They were distorted and I could figure pout why until I tried to pop one of the glass inserts off and realized it was laminated with liquid in the middle. My VIN doesn't list any electrochromatic or auto dimming for the side-views, just the rear-view. I think I need to replace the glass on both but might need an actuator too for the passenger side. When I start the car, the passenger rearview just starts moving , gets to the end of the track and just keeps trying as the gear jumps and clicks. I'm thinking of replacing the mirror and actuator on that one but not sure the actuator is what tells the mirror to stop when it gets to the memory setting or if there is a separate sensor of some sort.

Can anybody give me some advice on what glass replacements to use? Were side view auto dimming standard and just not called out in the Lexus specs in 2010? I have a premium so the mirrors are heated and power folding, but again, were not listed as auto dimming. Is the liquid between the two sheets of glass possibly for heating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heres a pic of the passenger side before I broke the top layer off and cleaned out all the liquid which allowed me to see much better for the time being:

Old 03-13-20, 01:02 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 612 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jakemccurd
We just bought a GX 460 and got a great deal but it was wholesale so there's a few issues to be addressed. Top of the list are the janky sideview mirrors. They were distorted and I could figure pout why until I tried to pop one of the glass inserts off and realized it was laminated with liquid in the middle. My VIN doesn't list any electrochromatic or auto dimming for the side-views, just the rear-view. I think I need to replace the glass on both but might need an actuator too for the passenger side. When I start the car, the passenger rearview just starts moving , gets to the end of the track and just keeps trying as the gear jumps and clicks. I'm thinking of replacing the mirror and actuator on that one but not sure the actuator is what tells the mirror to stop when it gets to the memory setting or if there is a separate sensor of some sort.

Can anybody give me some advice on what glass replacements to use? Were side view auto dimming standard and just not called out in the Lexus specs in 2010? I have a premium so the mirrors are heated and power folding, but again, were not listed as auto dimming. Is the liquid between the two sheets of glass possibly for heating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heres a pic of the passenger side before I broke the top layer off and cleaned out all the liquid which allowed me to see much better for the time being:
https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ ("clublexus" gets ya 50% off shipping)
or
www.rockauto.com
Old 03-13-20, 01:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yeah.. those power folding/heated mirrors are Electrochromic (auto-dimming).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-numbers.html

RH

LH

I think in US they might make you buy the entire mirror assembly. If you can't find domestically check out Megazip or Carmarka.

For the power folding motor I picked up a few of these $35 spares... far cheaper than entire mirror assembly if I get a failure. A GXOR Ukraine member suggested them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10726394

Old 04-06-20, 02:14 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

My 2020 doesn't have a compass. It shows in the nav
Old 04-07-20, 06:56 AM
shakinroch
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Drivers Side Mirror Part Number

I need to replace (I think) the drivers side mirror (just the glass). I was replacing the broken turn signal light and when I removed the glass and CAREFULLY pulled off the heater wires one of them pulled the prong right off the back of the mirror. Crap. I was able to position it back in place and epoxy it solidly but I do not think the heater is working any more. I did test for continuity between the two wires after I epoxied the one probe back it place and it tested as a closed circuit. But the heater does not seem to work on that mirror where it does on the passenger side as verified by touch. ANY THOUGHTS HERE?

In case I need to replace that part I found three different part numbers and I cannot determine which one is a direct replacement vs. 'it fits'.

Part Number (Retail Price)
89161-60B90 ($324)
89161-60E20 ($84)
​​​​​​​89161-60P80 ($487)

What is the difference between these parts?

Old 04-07-20, 09:27 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinroch
I need to replace (I think) the drivers side mirror (just the glass). I was replacing the broken turn signal light and when I removed the glass and CAREFULLY pulled off the heater wires one of them pulled the prong right off the back of the mirror. Crap. I was able to position it back in place and epoxy it solidly but I do not think the heater is working any more. I did test for continuity between the two wires after I epoxied the one probe back it place and it tested as a closed circuit. But the heater does not seem to work on that mirror where it does on the passenger side as verified by touch. ANY THOUGHTS HERE?

In case I need to replace that part I found three different part numbers and I cannot determine which one is a direct replacement vs. 'it fits'.

Part Number (Retail Price)
89161-60B90 ($324)
89161-60E20 ($84)
89161-60P80 ($487)

What is the difference between these parts?
There are three version of them: 1) standard, 2) with BSM, 3) auto dim and with BSM. Should be able to tell with description. Pricing also give the idea.

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions