GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 03:28 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by zhenya
T4FUn, thank you for the instructions. I am going through exactly the same thing replacing the turn signal on the mirror. I got the mirror off and disconnected the cable. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the colored panels off. you mentioned tabs, but which tabs? I would appreciate your help.
the outer colored casing has tabs that are angled inside. You have to push the tabs outward to unlock them with a screwdriver and then the outer casing comes off. I think there were 3 or 4 tabs. It just snaps on the black housing. They are inside the housing so you have to look carefully.
Old 04-28-16, 06:15 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How to replace side mirror?

Well I took the GX into a rough part of town in and literally left the car parked for 30 minutes, and I come back to find the drivers side mirror missing. Good news is, the thieves unplugged it, dare I say professionally and I have no ripped or spliced wires, everything is in tact. I found a mint condition mirror on ebay and bought it for a fraction of the cost the stealership would charge, however as simple as it looks, it is a bit difficult to snap the mirror onto the white plastic piece. I do not want to apply too much pressure and crack the mirror from the front. Any hacks on an easier way to put it in?
Old 04-28-16, 06:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Pics please.
Old 04-28-16, 07:41 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Old 04-28-16, 08:54 PM
nysupraman
Racer

If anyone is interested, I just gave it another shot and was successful! There are two metal prongs on the outer edge that need to be lined up, then line up the 4 clips and holes 3 holes on the white plastic motor cover and put equal pressure on the outer edges all at once and it pops right in. I didn't have the courage at first to press is that hard, but it takes a good bit of force, the key once again is equal pressure!
Old 04-29-16, 12:35 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the info. Hopefully nobody will ever have to use it though.

Really strange that happened to you, at least they had the courtesy to unclip the harness! Sad part of this story is that it was likely stolen by a fellow GX owner.
Old 05-01-16, 08:36 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Well I took the GX into a rough part of town in and literally left the car parked for 30 minutes, and I come back to find the drivers side mirror missing.
Where is this "rough part of town?" The boogie down Bronx??? Sorry to hear some low-life ripped off your driver side mirror, but like you said, at least it was done with care and you were able to replace it with ease.
Old 05-01-16, 08:39 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Sad part of this story is that it was likely stolen by a fellow GX owner.
Or an auto shop that is selling a used driver side view mirror to someone who had his or hers damaged or stolen...
Old 05-02-16, 07:25 AM
nysupraman
Racer

For those of you in New York, it was in Corona. Rough part because, they steal your car parts and sell them in Willets Points Junkyard by Shea.... I mean CitiField Mets Stadium. I have purchased many parts from the Junkyard before, so I went back there to see if I would find my own part and have to buy it back, but came back unsuccessful. Or like you guys said another GX owner needed one? I assume resale on the BSM heated electrochromatic mirror for the GX would be difficult in the Junkyard!
Old 10-17-16, 04:00 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Outer Mirror Switch and Rear Door handle Broken

I just picked up my 2011 GX460 and two things are already broken (both of which were fine during the final walk through at the Lexus dealer).

The outer mirror switch unit is dislodged, and now resides partially inside the dash. The rear door exterior door handle will not open the door.

I dropped off the vehicle for service this evening (at different Lexus dealer than I bought it from, since this one is much closer), the rear handle and actuator will be replaced under the L Certified warranty. The mirror switch unit is complex because it requires removing the dash. They are checking with Lexus to see if it will be covered. The servicing dealer said if it's not covered by Lexus, I'd have to take it to the Lexus dealer where I purchased it, which is extremely inconvenient because they are about 90 minutes away.
Old 10-17-16, 04:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I can see how the mirror tabs could have broke and there is no lip to keep it from falling into the dash. This is new here, perhaps it was hit causing damage and someone patched it up?

You are the third here that I have read of the rear gate problem. I open my rear gate quite often and no problems. Maybe it will be one of my future problems.

Old 10-17-16, 05:12 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Old 10-17-16, 06:11 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Thanks for the pics, Tecman! Good to know how to replace the switch.. especially if Lexus doesn't cover it under warranty.

I did peek at the invoice for the rear door actuator job: $775. I'll ask them if it's something they commonly come across.

Last edited by Surfishing; 10-17-16 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 07:37 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Tecman, are those your photos?

I am trying to gauge what tools and how long it might take to pop out that one panel and re-seat a new switch.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-16, 08:53 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

No tools needed to get the panel off. There is a lip on the bottom, just use your fingers. I used a small screwdriver to get the switch out. Estimated labor four minutes

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions