GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Surround view cameras installation project completed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 10:42 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by NorioTa
That's GREAT to hear, I can tap into the Beatsonic Reverse Out lead (Brown) ! I will use a positap to tap into it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Norio
Just to make sure the right one. Don’t quote me on the color, couldn’t remember exactly. But just reference to the wire layout imprinted on the Beatsonic device, you will be i
able to identify the correct one, it’s either the brown or purple one. Just to make sure the one FROM oem harness connector, NOT the one goes into the head unit. The Beatsonic concept is basically generating a “reverse” signal every time you pressing the button regardless the gear position. You will need to tap into the actually reverse signal generated by gear not by Beatsonic.
Old 08-30-20, 11:31 AM
NorioTa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, thanks for the words of caution, I think it will be the purple one "REV IN", since that is coming out of the OEM connector, and the Brown is "REV OUT" which I bet is triggered by both the purple wire (car gear selector put in reverse) and the Beatsonic switch. I will try putting a voltmeter on them when I get most of it hooked up and turn the car on and put the GX in reverse, and then park it, and then press the Beatsonic switch.

Norio
Old 08-30-20, 11:53 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by NorioTa
Ok, thanks for the words of caution, I think it will be the purple one "REV IN", since that is coming out of the OEM connector, and the Brown is "REV OUT" which I bet is triggered by both the purple wire (car gear selector put in reverse) and the Beatsonic switch. I will try putting a voltmeter on them when I get most of it hooked up and turn the car on and put the GX in reverse, and then park it, and then press the Beatsonic switch.

Norio
Rev in is the correct one
Old 08-30-20, 08:26 PM
mattds
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, for the canadian executive there are 5, they basically look "over" each wheel. You can set them to come on at slow speeds...but primarily they were there for off-road use (as i use them). Oddly enough i don't it's the screen. my rear view camera is decent, but the front only view is horrendous. Still helpfu but i wish it was impoved.

I think with the cheap price of these things now, if i was willing to have it NOT integrated i could just run a camera with a aux screen inside...
Old 08-30-20, 09:14 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by mattds
Hey, for the canadian executive there are 5, they basically look "over" each wheel. You can set them to come on at slow speeds...but primarily they were there for off-road use (as i use them). Oddly enough i don't it's the screen. my rear view camera is decent, but the front only view is horrendous. Still helpfu but i wish it was impoved.

I think with the cheap price of these things now, if i was willing to have it NOT integrated i could just run a camera with a aux screen inside...
It’s not really 5 but 4, the images that you can display with either front half of side view or back half of side view, are processed images from two cameras under the rear view mirrors. You can switch view either to display the first half front wheels view or back half of the rear wheels view. For 2020, the front camera view can also be processed with the delayed view and give you a artificial under carnage view as you drove over the road. The quality of those images will be impacted by processes and artifacts.
Old 11-05-20, 11:49 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure how many times to thank you @hzhao .. but here I'm again.

I salvaged a front camera from my 2020 RX and thinking of installing it on my GX for having better picture clarity (i can remove the camera from socket and make it smaller and fit it in. But I've read that Lexus OEM cameras are 6v and also their connectors are 6 pin connector as in picture attached. Do you know how can I wire these to my Lsailt unit? I've a composite cable coming from the Lsailt unit with a power line (probably 12v). I cannot seem to find a 6pin to composite and power adapter anywhere, so do you have an idea. And how to make a 12v to 6v convertor? I see that you did it. Should i use the 12v power coming from Lsailt unit or should I find a power source from engine bay?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 11-05-20, 12:10 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Not sure how many times to thank you @hzhao .. but here I'm again.

I salvaged a front camera from my 2020 RX and thinking of installing it on my GX for having better picture clarity (i can remove the camera from socket and make it smaller and fit it in. But I've read that Lexus OEM cameras are 6v and also their connectors are 6 pin connector as in picture attached. Do you know how can I wire these to my Lsailt unit? I've a composite cable coming from the Lsailt unit with a power line (probably 12v). I cannot seem to find a 6pin to composite and power adapter anywhere, so do you have an idea. And how to make a 12v to 6v convertor? I see that you did it. Should i use the 12v power coming from Lsailt unit or should I find a power source from engine bay?
Thanks a lot in advance.
@tipsytopsy I don’t have the camera wire diagrams for RX, but basically, for Lexus OEM cameras, there are 4 active leads: +6V, Ground, Video+, Video-. For your application, you will need to using V+ for your video signal, ground the V-. The reason for V+ and V- for video signal is for isolation grounding to eliminate possible interference. For those guidance camera, I found there is no issues just simply ground the V- for easy installation. Hope that helps. The bigger East challenge for you to using the RX OEM camera, would be to find the pin assignment. The last resources that you can go would be get a two days tech info.Toyota.com subscription, where you have all the service manual and infor.
Old 11-05-20, 12:22 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
@tipsytopsy I don’t have the camera wire diagrams for RX, but basically, for Lexus OEM cameras, there are 4 active leads: +6V, Ground, Video+, Video-. For your application, you will need to using V+ for your video signal, ground the V-. The reason for V+ and V- for video signal is for isolation grounding to eliminate possible interference. For those guidance camera, I found there is no issues just simply ground the V- for easy installation. Hope that helps. The bigger East challenge for you to using the RX OEM camera, would be to find the pin assignment. The last resources that you can go would be get a two days tech info.Toyota.com subscription, where you have all the service manual and infor.
Thank you, I'll try to find the wiring diagram and also an adapter so I don't need to solder wires to the socket leads. And what about the power source? Can I use the same 12v source coming from Lsailt and step down to 6v? If so how? And how to convert a wire from V+ lead to Composite pin? Is it just piggy tailing the 2 wires?
Old 11-05-20, 02:10 PM
hzhao
Racer

Thank you, I'll try to find the wiring diagram and also an adapter so I don't need to solder wires to the socket leads. And what about the power source? Can I use the same 12v source coming from Lsailt and step down to 6v? If so how? And how to convert a wire from V+ lead to Composite pin? Is it just piggy tailing the 2 wires?
you can tapping any ACC 12v and step down to 6v for camera. You will need to by a step down converter, there are many on Amazon. V+ is the composite video signal.
Old 11-05-20, 06:49 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

you can tapping any ACC 12v and step down to 6v for camera. You will need to by a step down converter, there are many on Amazon. V+ is the composite video signal.
Thanks. I ordered the oem harness https://shopparts.priceleblanclexus....cam-867990e010 and will cut the other end to make connections to composite, power and ground. Hopefully it works as planned, would love to have a bright oem fisheye cam.
Old 11-24-20, 06:32 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

@hzhao - I found the EWD from TIS for RX450H - but it seems a little confusing to me - the part where the shielded harness changes the colors of the wire. How to interpret it? The OEM harness I bought is 12" long with a thick shield in between. I was planning to cut out the harness on the other end - but if colors are changing - which cable goes to what?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-20, 06:40 PM
hzhao
Racer

@hzhao - I found the EWD from TIS for RX450H - but it seems a little confusing to me - the part where the shielded harness changes the colors of the wire. How to interpret it? The OEM harness I bought is 12" long with a thick shield in between. I was planning to cut out the harness on the other end - but if colors are changing - which cable goes to what?

Thanks in advance!
You need to look the diagram, there should be a remark section that indicates one set of colors are used for vehicle with surround view, and another color set are used for vehicles with reverse camera only. In your diagram, the remark *16 or *17 are two sets of color designations. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
tipsytopsy (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 06:41 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Also here's a pic of the harness. Should I just cut the adapter at end of the harness or is there something creative that I can do to make a cleaner job?

​​
Old 11-24-20, 06:46 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

You need to look the diagram, there should be a remark section that indicates one set of colors are used for vehicle with surround view, and another color set are used for vehicles with reverse camera only. In your diagram, the remark *16 or *17 are two sets of color designations. Hope that helps.
16 and 17 are production date cut off, before Aug 2019 and after Aug 2019. I've a 2020 with a build date in Jan 2020, so not sure which applies to me. Lets say I go with after Aug 2019 - how to the colors apply? Red is power, green v+, blue v- and white is ground? Or does it change when I reach the other side of shield? Because the red becomes green on the othee end as per diagram.

And V+ goes to middle wire in composite and v- goes to the shield of composite?
​​​​
Old 11-24-20, 06:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Also here's a pic of the harness. Should I just cut the adapter at end of the harness or is there something creative that I can do to make a cleaner job?

​​
The only creation that I have made was to put some simple connectors between camera harness and surround view module near the camera end, to make it easier for disconnecting should i need to re-work or for diagnose purpose. You can look the original post I had at beginning to get an idea for what I have done, but not necessary.
The following users liked this post:
tipsytopsy (11-24-20)

Quick Reply: Surround view cameras installation project completed