GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Surround view cameras installation project completed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 06:56 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
16 and 17 are production date cut off, before Aug 2019 and after Aug 2019. I've a 2020 with a build date in Jan 2020, so not sure which applies to me. Lets say I go with after Aug 2019 - how to the colors apply? Red is power, green v+, blue v- and white is ground? Or does it change when I reach the other side of shield? Because the red becomes green on the othee end as per diagram.

And V+ goes to middle wire in composite and v- goes to the shield of composite?
​​​​
with your harness, black will be for 6v, white is for composite video, make green and red together then ground it.
Old 11-24-20, 07:08 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
with your harness, black will be for 6v, white is for composite video, make green and red together then ground it.
Wow.. it totally threw me off. What part of diagram to look to come to that conclusion?

Because on bottom of diagram (i guess camera side of the harness) says: W-BGND, G-BCV+, L-BCV-, R-BCB+

And other side of harness says: W-BGND, B-BCV+, R-BCV-, G-BCB+.

So green becomes black, blue becomes red and red becomes green. Also there are 2 whites in harness - one is combination with the black wire (CANL and CANH?) other in combination with blue. White and black are pin 1 and 4 - I guess i pick the other white?

Last edited by tipsytopsy; 11-24-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 07:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Wow.. it totally threw me off. What part of diagram to look to come to that conclusion?

Because on bottom of diagram (i guess camera side of the harness) says: W-BGND, G-BCV+, L-BCV-, R-BCB+

And other side of harness says: W-BGND, B-BCV+, R-BCV-, G-BCB+.

So green becomes black, blue becomes red and red becomes green. Also there are 2 whites in harness - one is combination with the black wire other in combination with blue. White and black are pin 1 and 4 - I guess i pick the other white?
sorry, my bad. I was looking at wrong part. You should only deal with the camera end of the wire, make W & L together and for Ground, Green for composite video, Red for 6v power.
Old 11-24-20, 07:22 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
sorry, my bad. I was looking at wrong part. You should only deal with the camera end of the wire, make W & L together and for Ground, Green for composite video, Red for 6v power.
Awesome. This matches what I was thinking. And is there a reason we should keep the composite wire's shield unconnected and rather ground it directly at the camera (vs relying on the Lsalit unit to ground it internally)?

And one final question - I'm posi-tapping the harness, so should I posi-tap the camera side or the other side? Because I see an additional gray wire coming on other side (so there's some magic wiring in the shield).

Last edited by tipsytopsy; 11-24-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 07:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Awesome. This matches what I was thinking. And is there a reason we should keep the composite wire's shield unconnected and rather ground it directly at the camera (vs relying on the Lsalit unit to ground it internally)?

And one final question - I'm posi-tapping the harness, so should I posi-tap the camera side or the other side? Because I see an additional gray wire coming on other side (so there's some magic wiring in the shield).
since there is no use for the other end, I will cut the wire for lesser interference. As for composite shielding, I will ground it with the W & L wires. This will minimize the noise on composite signal.
Old 11-25-20, 01:38 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Update - such a waste of time (and money) I did on this 'upgrade'. Bought a lot of things including tools and all wasted . Reason for me trying the upgrade is that I didn't find the noise/ clarity acceptable on the $20 cam I had installed. There came the $600 cam I salvaged from my 2020 RX accident and thought it would be a perfect thing to put. After installing it the fish eye effect was not that good and the placement required it to mount almost 3/4 inch outside the grill. Thought to try the old cam again, I redid the wiring, with a proper ground including grounding the shield of composite cable. Worked out wonderful with no noise and better clarity than the lexus oem fish eye cam.

Learnt a lot out of this, specially the importance of grounding on AV cables.