GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 04:46 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Lexuspartsnow has the receiver and nav units for around $6150 new. It’s on sale right now. I just don’t have the $$$ anytime soon to fix this almost new car. I really hate Lexus for requiring the display unit to control the climate controls. Because I could care less about the infotainment unit.
Old 01-10-19, 03:40 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I don’t recall full details as it has been a while but replacing the battery in my base model caused it to run poorly, as in lack of throttle power. Took several minutes to stabilize, I pulled into traffic and it was like I was in limp mode.

I would try at least a 10 minute disconnect for the problem posted here.
Did you try that^^^^^

Disconnection and reconnection of a battery is not the same a short circuiting something and the repair shop is most likely full of it. I would get ahold of corporate, and see what they say. I'd even research this or speak with an attorney on it.
My screen does the same when I hit the disp off button, I use this to check lighting without having the screen glare on my face. It turns back on when I hit the MAP button.

Old 01-10-19, 08:47 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Not for 10 minutes, but I’ll try again. Thanks. Corporate is on the same boat as the shop service.
Old 02-04-19, 04:05 PM
JarredHami
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I Searched High & Low for Head Unit Options ^^^^ but need your help!

Sadly my 2104 GX 460 is having a hangup. The head unit has failed and won't leave the front page. It is literally frozen regardless of the power being disconnected and the dealer attempting to work on it.

Before I start my GX is without Mark Levinson audio & the Navigation system.

So, this brings me to the thread.

My concerns are:
-the climate control feature needs to still work properly
-adding nav
-ideally i don't want it to look worse than I started
-the dealer quoted $2850 to replace - clearly, buying a OEM one on ebay is $1K but I'd like to gain features if I am going to invest in it.
-crutchfield was useless because apparently there isn't a DD option for it either

What I have found:
Tesla Like Style:
Chinese Tesla Style Units
TESLA STYLE

ARE THESE EVEN OPTIONS? AS ANYONE BOUGHT A SIMILAR HEAD UNIT? LASTLY, IS THERE A BETTER OPTION THAN I AM UNAWARE OF?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 02-04-19, 04:40 PM
John00
Racer

here you can read about the Tesla style unit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-console.html

It has been tried, it did work for the most part, but there were some features that didn't work.
Old 02-04-19, 05:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 890 Likes on 617 Posts

But that unit needs a functional factory head unit to work.
Old 02-04-19, 05:12 PM
JarredHami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
But that unit needs a functional factory head unit to work.
That was my fear. Other than going back OEM have you all seen another option available?
Old 02-04-19, 05:14 PM
John00
Racer

Yes, the Tesla display still needs the old guts.

Does the broken one have a hard drive? Have you tried to operate it without the hard drive? Does it make any click sounds? In the past, the freezer trick would ever so slightly shrink parts to unfreeze binding. Seems that the boot isn't completing, just an idea.
Old 02-04-19, 05:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Looks like OP has a 2014 so no hard disk in that model.
Old 02-04-19, 06:07 PM
John00
Racer

well then a stuck platter seems not possible.
here's some related talk:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-freezing.html
sis something plugged into the usb?

https://www.wxyz.com/news/lexus-work...-screen-issues
was there an update, or does it need one?
Old 02-08-19, 12:26 PM
kerrioswal
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked navigation screen

I have a 2018 GX460. I was gently wiping prints off the navigation screen and it cracked from bottom to top. Lexus is telling me they’re not liable because of “outside influence”. My auto insurance will not cover because they feel it’s a manufacturers defect, which I feel is the case. I’m frustrated because Ive been honest about what happened and am getting nowhere. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 02-08-19, 01:54 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 713 Posts

"Outside Influence" ... it's a touchscreen ... so are you not supposed to touch the screen ... Huh What ?

If you were rejected by someone within the Service Department ... elevate to the highest level within the dealership. If that does not produce an appropriate response, then elevate to the Regional Manager. The lower levels typically go by protocol versus exercising judgement, so is is best to elevate to a level of authority who can weigh your situation. I had a brand new Toyota 4-Runner that developed low-end rod knock at 1,800-odd miles. The dealership immediately decided that I must have somehow abused the vehicle ... so I elevated to the Regional Manager who (without hesitation) ordered a complete long-block replacement under warranty. So don't take NO for an answer, and keep elevating until you get warranty coverage.
Old 02-08-19, 03:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,403 Posts

OP: "Besides broken screen, is the image clean, no lines ?"

If for some reason replacement fails through via Lexus channels I have reached out to 4 repair sites. The question above was sent by one so far. Trying to give you a idea of out of pocket repair.
Old 02-08-19, 06:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 890 Likes on 617 Posts

This can be replaced with a DIY but might be a little intimidating. No video for the GX found but the Lexus IS looks to be similar if not the same. If no result with the Lexus you should be able to find a local shop willing to do this. I agree that wiping the screen caused this is a manufacture defect.
Good luck

https://www.autotechnologyrepair.com...een-digitizer/

Last edited by tecman; 02-08-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 06:16 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrioswal
I have a 2018 GX460. I was gently wiping prints off the navigation screen and it cracked from bottom to top. Lexus is telling me they’re not liable because of “outside influence”. My auto insurance will not cover because they feel it’s a manufacturers defect, which I feel is the case. I’m frustrated because Ive been honest about what happened and am getting nowhere. Has this happened to anyone else?

No, i'v cleaned my screen with a towel and water for years by just wiping it. What did you use and procedure did you perform? Did you use anything other than your hands to wipe it or did you use something (a tool) to get into the edges?

Last edited by msgs350; 02-08-19 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates