GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 12:44 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Hzhao, I noticed this article when I was research for a solution. Is it possible that it supports over the air update?

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11...are-update-bug
Old 04-16-19, 02:46 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

ironic that i just read this post earlier today - the nav system on my 2014 randomly rebooted itself today while i was driving and streaming audio over the BT connection. is there any chance the headunit is using the phone's cellular connection to perform some sort of update?
Old 04-16-19, 03:04 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

here is another article stating that 2014-16 cars were affected.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/o...us-navigation/
Old 04-16-19, 03:27 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

i should also have noted that i have the lexus safety subscription service (the SOS button) so there is some remote link between my car and lexus that would allow them to query GPS location (and likely other data) and connect to the car remotely
Old 04-16-19, 03:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There does seem to be an uptick in reported failures all of a sudden.
Old 04-16-19, 03:46 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

whether or not Lexus officially states that over-the-air updates are possible for all or a subset of the 2nd gen GX, it seems that there are at least two methods by which they could push updates to the car: 1) through the satellite link used for the Safety Connect subscription and 2) using the cellular connection of a phone connected to the headunit through either BT or the USB cable.

I'm not sure if either of these two methods would technologically allow Lexus to push updates, but it wouldnt surprise me.
Old 04-16-19, 03:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Safety Connect actually uses cellular as well. It will however work in fringe areas I could never get my phone to work.

Definitely more 2 way data communication on '14+ as I think those models can upload OBD code errors as well.
Old 04-16-19, 07:37 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by R3loader
Hzhao, I noticed this article when I was research for a solution. Is it possible that it supports over the air update?

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11...are-update-bug
The article reference to an earlier service bulletin, and the fix needs to be performed at dealer for a system update. The issue was resulting from an application update via connected phone that caused incompatibility issue. As I mentioned earlier, Lexus unit does not have the capability to perform remote SYTEM update, which is different for application update.
Old 04-24-19, 12:15 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by waiman3
I just repaired a CD player not long ago, parts are cheap, much easier with home computer/audio/video products, but don't have the skill/time for car.
CS gave me a small discount, ~$17xx total, hope to get it back by end of this week, will ask to keep the old unit for backup.
Waiman, I was wondering if you got your car back after getting the navigation unit replaced and if you have a picture of the back of the unit. Thanks.
Old 04-25-19, 11:44 AM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked for it, but CS say had to be sent back to Lexus, was in a hurry to leave so didn't inquire further on why.

Originally Posted by R3loader
Waiman, I was wondering if you got your car back after getting the navigation unit replaced and if you have a picture of the back of the unit. Thanks.
Old 05-06-19, 12:55 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help with Bluetooth phone/GPS Connection

I have a new 2019 GX460 and I can't figure out how to get mapping (Google Maps, Apple Map and Waze) voice direction through the vehicle sound system. When I turn on the Bluetooth on my phone I not only don't hear directions through the vehicle sound system, I no longer am able to hear directions through the phone. So, I have to turn off Bluetooth on the phone every time I use maps to just hear directions on the phone. Ideally I would select one of the mapping programs and then hear through the vehicle sound system. I apologize if this has be asked before but I could not find the discussion. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 05-06-19, 07:04 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by DWF1
I have a new 2019 GX460 and I can't figure out how to get mapping (Google Maps, Apple Map and Waze) voice direction through the vehicle sound system. When I turn on the Bluetooth on my phone I not only don't hear directions through the vehicle sound system, I no longer am able to hear directions through the phone. So, I have to turn off Bluetooth on the phone every time I use maps to just hear directions on the phone. Ideally I would select one of the mapping programs and then hear through the vehicle sound system. I apologize if this has be asked before but I could not find the discussion. Thank you in advance for your help.
Bluetooth profile only support the phone call and stream musics. If you want to Google map or Apple map or Waze voice guidance to play through the GX speakers, you will need to connect your phone with USB and select USB in Audio Source selection.
Old 05-07-19, 06:45 AM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Bluetooth profile only support the phone call and stream musics. If you want to Google map or Apple map or Waze voice guidance to play through the GX speakers, you will need to connect your phone with USB and select USB in Audio Source selection.
So--that means that every time I want to use a mapping program I need to go into my phone settings and disconnect Bluetooth which I use for handsfree phone in the vehicle. I tried to use the vehicle GPS to locate an address the other day in Dallas and it led me to an area no where near where I was trying to go. I really like most of this vehicle but the whole electronic interface is a mess for a 2019 vehicle.
Old 05-07-19, 07:08 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
My 2015 plays Waze through the car speakers over bluetooth as well as my iTunes playlists...and I get messages read to me as well.
Old 05-07-19, 07:51 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Statman
My 2015 plays Waze through the car speakers over bluetooth as well as my iTunes playlists...and I get messages read to me as well.
Message function is a separate notification function under bluetooth which you can turn it on or off. iTunes will for sure to work over bluetooth as part of stream. I have not tried Waze myself. But many other apps voice prompt and notification sound did not support audio stream profiles.

Quick Reply: 2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates