GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 08:14 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

I will have to look in Waze again but there is an option to have the announcements play through as a phone call when connected to my '12.
Old 05-07-19, 08:29 AM
BPGX460
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It needs to be attached as a multimedia device...and phone device..google maps will play through speakers until a phone call is recieved....check your bluetooth pairing and make sure the phone is paired as both.
Old 05-07-19, 10:20 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I just tested this on my 2010 and it works for both Waze and Google Map.
You need to make sure under Audio-Portable player, your phone is connected.

Then on Waze, you can choose the output to be the Portable device, in my case, GX460. Make sure the app isn’t on mute.

The following 3 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (05-07-19), hzhao (05-07-19), paui4m (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 11:20 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

If you have an iPhone open Waze and touch the lower left "magnifying glass" icon. Now tap the settings "gear" icon
at the upper left. Under Voice and Sound find "Play sound via..." Chose "Play as BT phone call"

How does your media respond to a phone call? Mutes and plays the call, right? When Waze is announcing
"Slow Traffic", "Object in the road", "Police ahead" it will mute your radio with a trill and spoken warning then return
to your program already in progress. Strongly consider also opening "Alerts and Reports"/ "speedometer"
and if enabling "Show Speed Limit" then change "When to Show" to whatever threshold suits you or you will
get a barrage of trills if you drive as I do!
The following users liked this post:
paui4m (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 12:08 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone. Very helpful!
Old 05-07-19, 02:16 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Under Waze setting, there's an option of keep the sound using Default, Phone Speakers or Play BT Phone Call. If you chose BT phone call, it will treat is like an incoming call and each times Waze direction is speaking, it will connects and disconnect like a phone call which is very slow and adds delay. I found it's pretty annoying.

I usually keep it as Default - which I have to switch to BT on the Audio source to heat it or use Phone speakers which is I think better in some way.
Old 05-07-19, 06:07 PM
BlueOnyx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to play audio from your phone to the GX via bluetooth (I am referring to Waze, youtube, MP3 audio, spotify etc vs telephone audio). To get it working I would suggest streaming something from you phone with a continuous audio such as playing a MP3 audio file. Once you get the settings right (could be on your phone or GX), you should immediately hear audio through your vehicle. Once you have the settings figured out, Waze should work. BTW you didn't mentioned if you were on android or ios.
Old 05-08-19, 12:04 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOnyx
You should be able to play audio from your phone to the GX via bluetooth (I am referring to Waze, youtube, MP3 audio, spotify etc vs telephone audio). To get it working I would suggest streaming something from you phone with a continuous audio such as playing a MP3 audio file. Once you get the settings right (could be on your phone or GX), you should immediately hear audio through your vehicle. Once you have the settings figured out, Waze should work. BTW you didn't mentioned if you were on android or ios.
Sorry--I am on IOS
Old 05-21-19, 01:44 PM
sms1976
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this forum and signed up for Club Lexus because I bought a 2015 GX460 at auction and when I received it, the Nav screen does not work. The backup camera shows--while in reverse--but no other function shows. In the images from the auction, the screen is active in both Nav view and Audio, but no luck now that I have it. The other funny thing that's happening is the backlight on the lower unit is blinking when my headlights are on. Hard to see in the daylight, but very obvious at night. I have looked through the fuses but every one that I can see that has to do with audio or Nav is good. Is it worth taking that lower unit out to find a fuse or microSD card on the unit itself?

Thanks for your help, and let me know if I should start a new thread.
Old 05-21-19, 02:14 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by sms1976
I found this forum and signed up for Club Lexus because I bought a 2015 GX460 at auction and when I received it, the Nav screen does not work. The backup camera shows--while in reverse--but no other function shows. In the images from the auction, the screen is active in both Nav view and Audio, but no luck now that I have it. The other funny thing that's happening is the backlight on the lower unit is blinking when my headlights are on. Hard to see in the daylight, but very obvious at night. I have looked through the fuses but every one that I can see that has to do with audio or Nav is good. Is it worth taking that lower unit out to find a fuse or microSD card on the unit itself?

Thanks for your help, and let me know if I should start a new thread.
Your unit might be in the status of "Theft Trigged" or "locked" mode. You may need to visit the dealer to unlock it. I assume the A/C part is working right?
Old 05-22-19, 12:16 PM
sms1976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
Your unit might be in the status of "Theft Trigged" or "locked" mode. You may need to visit the dealer to unlock it. I assume the A/C part is working right?
Yes, climate controls are working. Here’s a video of the backlight flashing.

video
Attached Files
Old 05-22-19, 02:46 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by sms1976
Yes, climate controls are working. Here’s a video of the backlight flashing.

video
Try to hold the volume button for 20 seconds to see if the unit reset itself, if not, try to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then reconnect it. If both failed, the only option left is try to take to the dealer to determine if the radio unit is locked or the unit is malfunction.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (05-22-19)
Old 05-26-19, 08:31 AM
sms1976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
Try to hold the volume button for 20 seconds to see if the unit reset itself, if not, try to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then reconnect it. If both failed, the only option left is try to take to the dealer to determine if the radio unit is locked or the unit is malfunction.
Thanks for the help hzhao, but neither of those worked. I tried disconnecting the battery for up to an hour but still the same result. I talked to the service dept at a Lexus dealer—there are none near me—and they said it had failed, and that there wasn’t a lock-out mode for these models. My local Toyota dealer agreed after looking at it for an hour, and quoted $2500 for a replacement unit, part(s) only.

I went ahead and took the lower unit out and I’ll need to decide whether to let someone try to fix it or just buy a replacement. Any suggestions on either of those fronts? Model number shown on the top of the unit is 86130-60121 and it shows 100514 on the front faceplate.
Old 05-26-19, 09:07 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I am in the same situation. Is yours a Mark Levinson? The part number is 86804-60C90 for ML and 60C60 for non-ML. Let me know if you can find someone that could fix it for reasonable price?
Old 05-26-19, 07:05 PM
sms1976
Driver School Candidate

I am in the process of sending out requests. I have tracked down a couple that seem like the correct part number (non-ML) for around $1000 so I'll see if anyone is confident they can fix mine for less. I can't find a definitive answer on what the Lexus part number is for mine, besides the numbers I posted earlier.

Quick Reply: 2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates