2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 06:45 AM
Maskvich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 GX460 - Nav SD card reader not functioning

Hello fellow GXers,

I purchased a used 2017 GX from a corner dealership. It has 30k miles, and the price was under $35k. There are no shakes at highway speeds, and KDSS is more or less level.
The issue i am having:
The GX did not come with an SD card. I was told all GXs returned to dealer get the card removed and sold without it. I purchased an SD from dealer ($220 - very painful).
When inserted - the screen does not register it. I went to Lexus dealer, after a day of tests, resets, they told me I need a new unit (~$3000).
The screen being stuck in "Reading SD" is driving me nuts, and want to know if anyone has any advise? Can the SD card reader be replaced? Any other suggestions besides getting a Grom unit? There is a lot of functionality missing without the SD card working so the Grom unit would not help there.

Thank you for reading.
Old 03-08-21, 08:11 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskvich
Hello fellow GXers,

I purchased a used 2017 GX from a corner dealership. It has 30k miles, and the price was under $35k. There are no shakes at highway speeds, and KDSS is more or less level.
The issue i am having:
The GX did not come with an SD card. I was told all GXs returned to dealer get the card removed and sold without it. I purchased an SD from dealer ($220 - very painful).
When inserted - the screen does not register it. I went to Lexus dealer, after a day of tests, resets, they told me I need a new unit (~$3000).
The screen being stuck in "Reading SD" is driving me nuts, and want to know if anyone has any advise? Can the SD card reader be replaced? Any other suggestions besides getting a Grom unit? There is a lot of functionality missing without the SD card working so the Grom unit would not help there.

Thank you for reading.
I never heard of “all GX resold has to remove the SD card”. SD card is essential for NAV and head unit to function, whoever told you that is a BS! The problem is now you are in the gray area, if the GX you bought with warranty, this is certain an warranty issue, if the GX sold “as is”, you will be out of luck. The SD card reader is part of head unit, Ask @Acrad as he has some info with an outlet that do repair the head unit. It will be you best option at this point. You are correct, you will need an functional head unit even to consider other option such as Grom or Lsailt.
Old 03-08-21, 04:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Maskvich: May want to check out these threads.. a few repair places listed that might be able to help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10530032

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-issues-3.html

There is always the wrecking yards as well for a used unit
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-08-21)
Old 03-17-21, 09:55 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

If the car is still eligible

Buy a 1 year extended platinum warranty for the vehicle for 1000 dollars.

Call Jerry and get a quote

Jerry Johnson
Warranty Manager
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

Then take the vehicle back to the dealership

Last edited by RXWes; 03-18-21 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-18-21, 05:45 AM
Maskvich
Driver School Candidate

This or get the Grum unit....very tough decisions.
Old 03-18-21, 06:11 AM
hzhao
Racer

This or get the Grum unit....very tough decisions.
Getting either Grom or Lsailt require a fully function the head unit. All of them are “add-on” not REPLACEMENT.
Old 03-18-21, 06:15 AM
Maskvich
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
Getting either Grom or Lsailt require a fully function the head unit. All of them are “add-on” not REPLACEMENT.
I have access to XM / FM / CD / Bluetooth etc. I can change settings for the basic functions of the car (how long lights stay on, locks behavior etc). Only thing that doesn't work is Nav and the maintenance records.
Old 03-18-21, 06:44 AM
hzhao
Racer

I have access to XM / FM / CD / Bluetooth etc. I can change settings for the basic functions of the car (how long lights stay on, locks behavior etc). Only thing that doesn't work is Nav and the maintenance records.
If all other function works, includes AUX, you maybe able to use those add-on products.
Old 04-01-21, 02:03 PM
KristieF
Driver School Candidate

Default Disable navigation system warning

I have a 2019 GX460. I would like to disable the navigation system warning that appears every time I start the car. It's a little insulting they think they have to remind me to drive safely every time I get in the car.
Old 04-01-21, 05:23 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by KristieF
I have a 2019 GX460. I would like to disable the navigation system warning that appears every time I start the car. It's a little insulting they think they have to remind me to drive safely every time I get in the car.
you can not. It is a requirement by regulation. Consider it is better now that will go away in few seconds. On GX470, you actually had to press “ Accept” before it will goto any other screens.
Old 04-02-21, 09:34 AM
KristieF
Driver School Candidate

I have to wait for it to come on. I put my seat belt on, check the mirrors and stare at the screen before it comes on. Then press the button to accept before it goes away. I really want to find a way to disable it.
Old 04-02-21, 09:38 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

There's no way around it.
Do you use your NAV all the time? Just have the screen default to Radio or something else and you won't see it at start up, until you want to use NAV, then just press the Accept icon.
Old 04-07-21, 02:22 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed a device on my Sequoia that unblocked the navigation while in motion and also clicked / removed the "I Agree" button.

It was called Lockpick, and came from this company: https://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

Doesn't look like they have a device for the newer GX models, but you might reach out.
Old 04-08-21, 07:47 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

You're just going to need to get over it. Take solace in the fact all vehicles with NAV do this but at least it auto clicks accept.
Old 04-29-21, 08:56 AM
MGH
Driver School Candidate

Default Help please

The battery died recently on my 2015 ultra premium. After boosting it the nav screen is black, but works for the reverse camera. And the radio/dvd controls flash constantly.

Ive tried disconnecting the battery and waiting for an hour, as per others suggestions, but still no luck.

Anyone have this issue before?

Quick Reply: 2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates