GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 06:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
BT 4 will have the range up to 150ft depends on local condition.
I've seen that extended range with some of my Tiles.
Old 03-19-22, 09:01 PM
LFZWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
Thanks hzhao for the info. From the first day that I purchased my GX and with the sales person going over using the infotainment I elected not to use the WIFI hotspot. Now I am glad I made that decision.
No need to pay twice. When my grandson is in the back seat with his iPad mini. I just throw on the personal hotspot if he’s not watching movies.
Old 03-31-22, 05:27 PM
kv0
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kv0
Hi everyone, I'm new here so please be kind to me

I found couple old threads on mentioned topic but they don't seem to be able to help and maybe someone has new info to share?

My vehicle is 2014 GX460, 230k km on it
a few month back infotainment system started to reboot by itself. First it was once in a while and only after the car got warmed up
But now it's every 3 seconds and even when it's cold.

I went to dealer they updated software (I guess, not sure if that was possible at all assuming current state of it) but that didn't help. Their next move is to replace head unit which is costly.

I tried to unplug battery as well but no luck. Also I can't find guidance on how to force reset the thing.

Couple more things:
It seems a lot like power issue to me, maybe bad connection somewhere, but I'm not sure. The revers camera stays on even when the rest is rebooting.

Now I'm stuck, no idea what else to try. Any information on this issue is much appreciated!

Thank you people
So I fixed my issue!
If anyone wants to know how, I'll describe it a bit later
Right now I have another issue. Now it's SD Card. System can't read it, tried on windows, shows 0 bytes. Anyone knows how to fix this?
The following users liked this post:
ch99tj (02-01-23)
Old 04-22-22, 09:07 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Any update on how you fixed this?
Old 04-26-22, 11:36 AM
devinluck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kv0
So I fixed my issue!
If anyone wants to know how, I'll describe it a bit later
Right now I have another issue. Now it's SD Card. System can't read it, tried on windows, shows 0 bytes. Anyone knows how to fix this?
How did you fix it???
Old 04-28-22, 08:21 AM
kv0
5th Gear

Lightbulb How to fix ML headunit restarting issue

a few month back infotainment system started to reboot by itself. First it was once in a while and only after the car got warmed up
Then it was every 3 seconds and even when it's cold.

I went to a dealer they updated software (I guess, not sure if that was possible at all assuming current state of it) but that didn't help. Their next move is to replace head unit which is costly.
I tried to unplug the battery and force restart as well but no luck.
The revers camera stays on even when the headunit is rebooting.

I reached out the recommended guys from California, they gave me estimate of 1700 USD and a month. Still too much for me.

So I was able to fix this issue myself and if you have similar symptoms you could fix it too.
First of all for me it was this little fella:

468730-0182 leads us to https://www.opuradio.com/products/46...vigation-radio where you can get it for 400$

I received this one:

Notice, part number is a bit different.

Then you need to replace it.
There's a good video how to take head unit off. Here are pictures of how do disassemble it. Be careful when you do that, take your own photos so you know your way back.

The issue comes from the way this PCB is holding in there. It acts like a spring, there's always tension there. And while it is a very high quality product, some years + bumps on the road eventually brake some inner tracks.
It is a mechanical issue and I don't see a way to fix it any other way, only replace.

One more thing: I noticed that bluetooth is not as good anymore, sometimes disconnects, sometimes doesn't want to connect. Could be recent IOS updated, but most probably this thing is less tested.

Good luck guys!
The following 5 users liked this post by kv0:
Acrad (04-28-22), ch99tj (02-01-23), Hehena (04-28-22), hzhao (04-28-22), tntcandy (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 08:21 AM
kv0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GX763
Any update on how you fixed this?
Hey, sorry about late reply, busy as hell.

Here it is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11277652
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-29-22)
Old 04-28-22, 02:05 PM
devinluck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kv0
Hey, sorry about late reply, busy as hell.

Here it is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11277652
Very interesting. Is that specific to the ML system or would that work in other models I wonder? What were your symptoms with yours, was it just looping every 3 seconds with a black screen? Mine at night you can see the backlight come on every 3 seconds over and over. Also the backlit buttons for the volume ***** and the track skip buttons and the usb ports down below in the tray all flash *** well when it bootloops.
Old 04-29-22, 10:30 AM
kv0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by devinluck
Very interesting. Is that specific to the ML system or would that work in other models I wonder? What were your symptoms with yours, was it just looping every 3 seconds with a black screen? Mine at night you can see the backlight come on every 3 seconds over and over. Also the backlit buttons for the volume ***** and the track skip buttons and the usb ports down below in the tray all flash *** well when it bootloops.
I doubt it's same hardware, but since you have the issue it won't hurt to take it apart and see for yourself
it's easier than seems
Old 04-30-22, 12:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

@kv0 Great info on that repair

I've asked them if they have any repair items for 10-13 models. Here are some other items they list on their site for '14+ 460s

https://www.opuradio.com/search/?Keyword=GX460

Old 05-23-22, 09:26 AM
nzvlnr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation...black screen??!!

Hello; I bought this 2014 GX460 with Navigation as intermittently not working. The seller was honest about it and said sometimes it works sometimes it does not. As other members have stated they use their cell phones, waze...etc....
I was driving it yesterday and the navigation screen went black , the only display was the navigation screen. Whenever I tried to get to audio, climate, the screen would jsut go black. I think there was a cursor in the upper left corner. It appeared that way .
When I got home I shut the gx off and clicked the key back to the run position. The issue cleared up and I could access the climate and audio screens....

Any clues on what the !&*@ is going on ....and potential resolution ??

Last edited by nzvlnr; 05-23-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-16-22, 01:15 PM
jct68am
1st Gear

Did you ever get this fixed?
Old 07-08-22, 10:08 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
Talking OCD issue

So today I noticed that that when you change radio channel on the steering wheel buttons, the up arrow will move channels down from 6 to 5 and so on, the down button is opposite, moving channels up from 5 to 6 and so on. Then on the head unit/radio the down button changes channels down like 6 - 5 and up button moves channels up like 5 to 6.and so on.

Anyway happy Friday

Note - not a complaint just an observation
Old 07-08-22, 05:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Agree ... it's Bass-Ackwards. As is the intermittent wiper symbol on all Toyota's. The Japanese need to hire a German to design these kinds of things. Amazing how a culture that is so disciplined and logic driven (a compliment) totally sucks when it comes to user interface design ... especially menu systems.
Old 07-11-22, 04:49 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

must be an 'upgrade'. my 2012 up increments numerically higher whether from the wheel up button or the radio up button.

Quick Reply: 2014-2021 Radio/Infotainment/Navigation - Issues, Problems, Questions, Updates