GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Error code 2432, over-ride Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 10:26 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Error code 2432, over-ride Limp Mode?

Wife's 2011 Lexus GX 460 went into limp mode with the traction warning light, check engine light, and flashing 4-Lo. Our local mechanic tells us error code 2432, and that he can't fix it. Apparently this is related to the secondary air pump system. I removed the pump cover to see if the filter had been sucked into the intake (a reportedly common issue), and instead found the filter element sort of dissolved into a blob, which I scraped out with a screwdriver. I saw no evidence that anything had gotten into the intake, checking a valve and hose.

So Wife made appointment with the nearest Lexus dealer in Santa Fe. At 75mph, Santa Fe is a 2-1/2 drive. It's a busy interstate, no way safe to drive at 40-50mph.

Is there a way to over-ride the limp mode long enough to drive safely to the dealer? I've tried unplugging the pump and valves, and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Any insight is appreciated!
Old 05-25-18, 11:12 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthearch
Wife's 2011 Lexus GX 460 went into limp mode with the traction warning light, check engine light, and flashing 4-Lo. Our local mechanic tells us error code 2432, and that he can't fix it. Apparently this is related to the secondary air pump system. I removed the pump cover to see if the filter had been sucked into the intake (a reportedly common issue), and instead found the filter element sort of dissolved into a blob, which I scraped out with a screwdriver. I saw no evidence that anything had gotten into the intake, checking a valve and hose.

So Wife made appointment with the nearest Lexus dealer in Santa Fe. At 75mph, Santa Fe is a 2-1/2 drive. It's a busy interstate, no way safe to drive at 40-50mph.

Is there a way to over-ride the limp mode long enough to drive safely to the dealer? I've tried unplugging the pump and valves, and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

I'd try clearing the codes. If that doesn't work, since this issue is under an extended warranty, I'd make the dealer come and pick it up at theirs or Lexus expense.
Old 05-25-18, 11:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

tecman was able to get it out of limp mode by unplugging the air pump.. not sure if a code reset with an OBD reader is needed first even though it would be re-triggered right away
Old 05-25-18, 11:14 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have learned from the many discussion here regarding the 2nd air intake associated topics, this is mainly there for the emission control reason. You can temporary bypass it or drive to dealer without any issue.
Old 05-25-18, 11:18 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black16
I'd try clearing the codes.
How? I unplugged the battery for an hour...

If that doesn't work, since this issue is under an extended warranty, I'd make the dealer come and pick it up at theirs or Lexus expense.
I doubt they'll go for that. We bought the vehicle used at a different dealer...
Old 05-25-18, 11:21 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
tecman was able to get it out of limp mode by unplugging the air pump.. not sure if a code reset with an OBD reader is needed first even though it would be re-triggered right away
I unplugged the air pump wiring harness, and even disconnected the battery after. No change, still in limp mode.
Old 05-25-18, 11:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I unplugged the air pump wiring harness, and even disconnected the battery after. No change, still in limp mode.
You have to use Techstream to clear the code.
The following users liked this post:
Bobthearch (05-25-18)
Old 05-25-18, 11:24 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have learned from the many discussion here regarding the 2nd air intake associated topics, this is mainly there for the emission control reason. You can temporary bypass it or drive to dealer without any issue.
The car is stuck in Limp Mode. It is not safe to drive at 40mph to the nearest dealer, which is a 2-1/2 hour drive on a 75mph interstate.
Old 05-25-18, 11:27 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
You have to use Techstream to clear the code.
I am certain that is not available here. Looks like something we can order, but *sigh* our appointment in Santa Fe is today... In fact we needed to leave 30 minutes ago.
Old 05-25-18, 11:33 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

The codes have to be cleared to get it out of limp mode and unplugging the pump prevents it from going back into limp mode
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (05-25-18), Bobthearch (05-25-18)
Old 05-25-18, 11:40 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Shouldn't any obd2 code scanner be able to clear this code or do you specifically need techstream?

An obd2 scanner you can pick one up pretty quickly and easily for $15-20 at wal mart pep boys autozone etc.
Old 05-25-18, 11:42 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
The codes have to be cleared to get it out of limp mode and unplugging the pump prevents it from going back into limp mode
Thank you for clarifying.
But is there no way to clear or reset the codes so we can drive the car to the dealer today?

Ah-ha! A new plan. Can a regular Toyota dealer do this? It's only 20 miles over a mountain interstate pass. But with the safety blinkers on, I think that would be reasonably safe, at least less suicidal than driving to the Lexus dealer.
Old 05-25-18, 11:44 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black16
Shouldn't any obd2 code scanner be able to clear this code or do you specifically need techstream?

An obd2 scanner you can pick one up pretty quickly and easily for $15-20 at wal mart pep boys autozone etc.
Will that work for resetting the code, or just reading the code? We happen to have an Autozone in town...
Old 05-25-18, 11:51 AM
Bobthearch
Driver School Candidate

Wife called the dealer to ask about over-riding the Limp Mode. The dealer suggested hiring a car carrier to bring the vehicle to Santa Fe. *sigh*
Old 05-25-18, 11:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Standard OBD reader purchased anywhere can clear these emission related codes.

Goto that Autozone.. they might even do a clear for you without purchase.

Quick Reply: Error code 2432, over-ride Limp Mode?