GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 10:23 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I installed it this morning, filled up the tank and drove 13 miles to work in some heavy traffic. I had to remove the lower small panel under the steering column - one screw and snap out and also remove the firewire connector to get a bit more room.

I tried Eco, City and Sport. Sport 3 and 4 is really snappy. I haven't tried Sport+ yet because it was pretty rainy today and don't want to peel out LOL. I think City -4 is similar to stock. Eco 1 or - is awesome in traffic around 5-15mph without the 1st gear jerking that you get with stock. Eco mode is the one for passengers that are sensitive to motion sickness. They are smooth!

I was in Sport 2 when merging into traffic and with just a slight press of the gas pedal, it just launched. I usually experienced pedal delay when merging at speed around 50-55mph but sport 2 mode took care of that.

When cruising on freeway around 70-75mph, I was switching between city 2 and 3 and really like it. The sensitivity of the pedal really help with foot fatigue because just by resting your foot on it it maintains the cruising speed without having to pressure it deeper (hence more tired). I'll play around with it in the next few days and will try Sport + and see. But so far it is pretty nice.

For my driving style, I think City 3/4 or even Sport 1/2 will probably do.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (11-28-18), krellboy (05-04-22), MrTorgue (12-09-20)
Old 11-28-18, 01:29 PM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the dark side of PC. Now, your guys personally experienced it and understand where I'm coming from. There's a distinct difference in acceleration without flooring or raising RPM. Those haven't tried it (discussion on GXOR) usually knocked it down as snake oil - don't understand the concept. It's just an engineering solution to eliminate or decrease lag time by increasing voltage and/or ECU mapping to open wide throttle faster, electronically. That's all - not a magic BS horsepower black box. Congrats and enjoy. For my heavily modified 460 with at least 500+ pounds, I'm happy at Sport 2+. Before all poundage upgrades, it was set at City 2+. You'll find a happy medium for your driving style and vehicle weight setup. I'm coming from spirited driving habit and handling a little Lotus.

Last edited by goodtogo; 11-28-18 at 02:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by goodtogo:
Acrad (11-28-18), bbqsoup (11-28-18), tecman (11-28-18)
Old 11-28-18, 02:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

I'm very sold.... one really does have to experience it to understand.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (01-16-21)
Old 11-28-18, 03:12 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I'm sold too.
Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'm very sold.... one really does have to experience it to understand.
Old 11-28-18, 03:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

A quick 25 mile test today on freeway in -4 ECO mode...I think this can increase MPG on freeway as well. This is a cool device. bbqsoup: I agree.. less work of the foot & fatigue on long drives....

It's funny years back when the V36 G35s (2007) were release the throttle tip in was judged too excessive(complaints) so they released a TSB to desensitize it. I'm used to a aggressive throttle so nice to have that option on GX as well.
Old 12-01-18, 12:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Seriously... if anyone has any complaints about the throttle mapping of their GX they really owe it to themselves to get a PC. It really does change the performance characteristics of vehicle. Nothing to lose but a few minutes of install times and of course some money.... it does have a 30 day MBG. It is really hard to explain until you experience it yourself.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/warranty/?v=7516fd43adaa

"You didn’t purchase a vehicle for its jerky and hesitant performance; it must be reliable as a means of transportation that you depend on. Our products are designed to maximize vehicle’s reliability, responsivity and performance. To ensure your satisfaction, we offer a 30-day money back guarantee and a 2-year unmatched product warranty.

Throttle Controller is a Matter of Trust.

To ensure your trust, we use the following three principles as Pedal Commander’s philosophy:

1. Our services and products are always top ranking in quality, function and technology.

2. Our customers are highly satisfied with the tuning that they have received from us.

3. Our products and services are absolutely safe in terms of use and function.

Based on these principles, we give you a full satisfaction guarantee on Pedal Commander – far beyond what is legally required.

Satisfaction Guarantee

Satisfaction Guarantee means: Try our quality product and look forward to a completely new driving experience. Test Pedal Commander system to your heart’s content and then evaluate its effects on fuel consumption and drivability. You will never want to send it back!

Comprehensive Guarantee on Pedal Commander Product

You are getting a top quality product from us. However, just in case the power electronics are faulty, we will replace your Pedal Commander product free of charge – within 2 years of purchase!

Long-Term Software Support Service

You also get a two-year software update service to keep your Pedal Commander system up to date."
The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (12-04-18), krellboy (05-04-22), tecman (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 12:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Since thread is titled horsepower notice 460 is rated this in the Eurasian markets----> 292 hp @ 5500 rpm & 323 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm

versus our rating of ---> 301 hp @ 5500 rpm & 329 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm

I know this brings about debate but just for comparison with 4.6L Tundra: 310 HP @ 5600 rpm & 327 ft-lbs @ 3400 RPM

5th Gen 4R 4.0L is rated at 270HP @ 5600 RPM and 278 ft-lbs @ 4400 RPM while the Chinese market GX 400 is rated at 271 HP @ 5600RPM and 281 ft-lbs @ 4400 RPM

Last edited by Acrad; 12-02-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 10:44 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

After a couple of weeks playing with all the settings and driven around 500 miles with the Pedal Commander
Here are my thoughts on all the settings

Eco - this is really nice for stop and go traffic jam or just lazy freeway cruising where you just stay in middle lane for a long while. It is very smooth and the acceleration is very gradual with a nice slow curve. It is also very useful for slippery or snowy surface where wheel spin could happen. I'll definitely use this mod when driving to the mountain this winter. Eco -4 is the ultimate lazy boy of acceleration.

City - this is mapped for low RPM. When at a stop and in City 3 or 4, stepping on the gas has a very quick snap to it - like a jack rabbit start. It could be aggressive for most as you can definitely feel the small whiplash at low RPM when stepping on it. It's gradual out and becomes less aggressive at higher RMP - say above 1500 or 2000 RMP or so. If you're racing to the next red light, this is the mode.

Sport - A bit opposite of City - at complete stop, it slowly kick it spit second at the first throttle - less whiplash, and kicks in hard at high RPM. The throttle mapping for this is more at higher RPM so when merging from freeway ramp or passing, it kicks in faster than City mode. It has a very nice aggressive curve when RPM is above 1500.

Sport+ - this is the combine of City and Sport - super aggressive at low and high RMP. Even at -4 is still has the jack rabbit feel. I tried 3 on it and it is too much - didn't go to 4.

As Acrad said, it really changes the dynamic of how the truck is driving and it does make driving more fun. I remembered when driving the 1996 4runner, it has a much quicker throttle response than my 1999 Pathfinder. This is the what I felt with PC. It brought back the feeling of the old 280ZX and Supra of HS.

For my style of driving, I'm at Sport 3 for daily driving. I like it more than City due to a little less aggressive at low RPM from complete stop.
The following 4 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (12-07-18), Camdog (01-18-19), SigEpGX460 (12-08-18), tonyjh63 (11-23-20)
Old 12-07-18, 11:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Great writeup!!! All I know is I don't think anyone could really emulate what this product does and I am not talking about mashed pedal.. It is so much more than that. The ability to remove the slight jerkiness in slow traffic and parking lots really surprised me. I would often do 2nd gear start mode.... I don't need to do that anymore.
tonyjh63 (11-23-20)
Old 12-07-18, 12:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
The ability to remove the slight jerkiness in slow traffic and parking lots.
So the jerkiness is normal? Really noticed it during a snowstorm last month while going like 20mph on and off throttle. The transmission was shifting pretty harsh, to me at least, and it would just randomly shift.
Old 12-07-18, 12:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I think it might be in slow driving. I've definitely heard a number of people report that here.

Pedal Commander deal on eBay right now for 30% off.
Old 12-08-18, 08:56 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on the GREAT write up! I only have about 150 miles on mine so far but totally agree with your findings. Thank you for documenting them. I had been going back and forth in City mode +/- trying to find a good spot but now it seems I should be playing in Sport Mode to get rid of that "launch" effect. The majority of my commute is in bumper to bumper stop/go so the City setting was a bit touchy on the launch and I found myself "feathering" the pedal quite a bit. Time to play with Sport mode a bit this week.

Best mod yet*. Hands down. Also agree with Acrad - you really do have to experience this to understand.

*Pending results of incoming Tablet Console ;-)
Acrad (12-08-18)
Old 12-10-18, 07:24 PM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
So the jerkiness is normal? Really noticed it during a snowstorm last month while going like 20mph on and off throttle. The transmission was shifting pretty harsh, to me at least, and it would just randomly shift.
Maybe a too much, drop down the setting a notch or two, and easy on the throttle from stop. My loaded and modded GX is heavy so I'm at Sport 2+, before the all the mod was at City 2+. If it kick too much from stop then try lower setting by 1 at a time. You'll find a happy medium setting that's not sluggish nor it jerk to a launch. Also, I turn off during off-road. So, maybe when it rains or snows heavy, you guys lower the setting for safer acceleration.
Old 01-18-19, 10:02 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

A little update on the Pedal commander. It has been working great so far except I ran into a few glitches/issues and wonder if any one with PC has experienced any of them.

1. This issue happened about 5 times in Sport, Eco and City mode while changing to different mode or changing sensitivity ( + or - ). When using the IOS bluetooth app and change mode, the pedal suddenly became really really lag and almost non-responsive. I had to floor it to get it up to speed, but only around 40mph or so. Turn it off/on again will restore normal behavior. I noticed it happened mostly at low speed like under 45mph. I haven't experienced this in Manual mode. It feel like the PC went into a super lag mode. It happened twice in Sport -2.

2. This happened twice in both Bluetooth and Manual mode. When changing mode, it didn't do anything. I was in ECO and changed to Sport and it was still felt ECO even though the unit indicated Sport. I changed it back to City and Sport again and it kicked in and back to normal. It happened both times in ECO to Sport.

I contacted customer service and they asked to send it back for RMA. I just dropped it off at USPS. Hope to get the replacement next week or so.

Any of PC users out there ran into similar issues?
Old 01-18-19, 10:06 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Any of PC users out there ran into similar issues?
I haven't noticed that behavior with mine but I may not change around my settings as much while driving.
bbqsoup (01-18-19)

Quick Reply: Horsepower?