GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 10:44 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I couldn't get the PC to stay stuck to this location with their super strong velcro. Looking at the picture, is the surface on yours smooth? Mine has sort of flat-ish dimples which makes it hard to stick to. I ended up mounting it under the steering wheel column.

Originally Posted by tecman
Old 02-04-19, 10:54 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Mine has dropped off a couple times in the same location. I might end up having to use a few small pieces of my 3M double sided adhesive tape.

Old 02-04-19, 11:20 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 875 Likes on 607 Posts

I used 3M tape from the beginning and mine hasn’t fallen off.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-04-19)
Old 02-04-19, 11:31 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Awesome! I have some 3M moulding doubleside that I'm going to use. - Thanks!
Old 02-06-19, 09:45 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Done...They take PayPal

I've been thinking about something like this for a little better throttle response.
The throttle feels spongy until you're about 3/4 through the pedal.
Can you start a new thread on how you like it?
  • Pluses?
  • Negatives?
  • How many miles you've logged with it so far?
  • Any other info?

Old 02-06-19, 12:27 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
I've been thinking about something like this for a little better throttle response.
  • Pluses?
  • Negatives?
  • Any other info?
They were selling maybe still do their non-bluetooth models for $150 via make an offer option on ebay. Or the bluetooth version was around 240 when ebay does the coupon thing around different holidays.

Positive: It wakes up the truck big time, especially from stop to go. I think this is that low end torque that some said was missing in 460 coming from 470.
Negatives: Too sensitive in certain modes and situations in my opinion in my opinion, especially driving around town. Generally I like sport mode the most, but you have to be annoyingly cautious with gas pedal in stop and go situation. I've whipped back my old lady's and 2yr young's heads couple times around town. So I typically leave it off when traveling with them.

While technically this do anything to the car I am curious about prolonged usage effects(if any). In my opinion has to put more strain on components because of extra instant torque you get from it vs more refined and smoother acceleration without it.

I've put around 300 miles with it, good portion of that with P.C off.
Old 02-06-19, 12:29 PM
konc3pt
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I've always changed the mode while not actually on the accelerator. Sounds like that is why I haven't seen this.
Same here, only changed modes while not on accelerator or moving and haven't had issue.
Old 02-06-19, 05:44 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by konc3pt
They were selling maybe still do their non-bluetooth models for $150 via make an offer option on ebay. Or the bluetooth version was around 240 when ebay does the coupon thing around different holidays.

Positive: It wakes up the truck big time, especially from stop to go. I think this is that low end torque that some said was missing in 460 coming from 470.
Negatives: Too sensitive in certain modes and situations in my opinion in my opinion, especially driving around town. Generally I like sport mode the most, but you have to be annoyingly cautious with gas pedal in stop and go situation. I've whipped back my old lady's and 2yr young's heads couple times around town. So I typically leave it off when traveling with them.

While technically this do anything to the car I am curious about prolonged usage effects(if any). In my opinion has to put more strain on components because of extra instant torque you get from it vs more refined and smoother acceleration without it.

I've put around 300 miles with it, good portion of that with P.C off.
With the way Toyota builds things, unless you had a turbo with 30 lbs of boost or something stupid like that, I really don't think that little black box is going to hurt anything, either short term or long term. But that is just my 2 pennies worth...
Old 02-08-19, 10:14 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Maybe the MOD can modify the title to include Pedal Commander for easy search?

I have PC installed for probably about 1000 miles or so now

Pluses: Much more responsive. No more lagging between 45-55 MPH when it's between 5th adn 6th gear. Merging into freeway is no longer an issue not passing big rigs on freeway. Less pedal travel means less foot fatigue on long drives. ECO mode is really nice for heavy traffic/commute and helped with Cruise Control jerkiness gears switching.

Cons - Mileage will decrease, jack rabbit start if not careful. Wife may not like it if you accidentally step on it in Sport mode LOL.

I ran into an issue with the first unit where it would not response unless I floor. This happened when I changed modes while driving. PC replaced it and it is doing good so far.

Originally Posted by r2m
  • Pluses?
  • Negatives?
  • Any other info?
Old 02-08-19, 12:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
With the way Toyota builds things, unless you had a turbo with 30 lbs of boost or something stupid like that, I really don't think that little black box is going to hurt anything, either short term or long term. But that is just my 2 pennies worth...
The only thing this affects is the signal on the pedal, which knowing Toyotas and most vehicles these days must not be played around with (conservative advice). Too many modules etc. Nothing exists on The GX to indicate any direct harm. The only known issue I can find is the Ram owners had a CEL immediately after install and trouble shifting.

Long term who knows, but at the moment you should be fine.
Old 02-08-19, 03:37 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

The advice is not to remove/install PC or the Pedal connector within 30min or 1hr after shutting off the car for the risk of having CEL light. It's best to do it in the morning before starting.
Old 02-09-19, 07:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

1UR-FE is covered in this as well. There are some comparison charts as well to other Lexus/Toyota motors.

robert1408 (03-08-19)
Old 03-07-19, 01:32 PM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Really looking forward to adding this to the truck. Does this affect the responsiveness of cruise control? Also, any driver support package owners have this installed? Curious how this interacts with the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. I’d suspect in certain modes it will only make the system more responsive when the vehicle in front begins pulling away.
Old 03-07-19, 02:14 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just gonna give my experience but I feel like it tones down the aggressiveness of Cruise in a noticeable way when running in the ECO modes on the highway. Turned off.... mine likes to drop two gears to maintain speed on many grades. I found it improved my cruise control experience.
MrTorgue (12-09-20)
Old 03-07-19, 02:22 PM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Just gonna give my experience but I feel like it tones down the aggressiveness of Cruise in a noticeable way when running in the ECO modes on the highway. Turned off.... mine likes to drop two gears to maintain speed on many grades. I found it improved my cruise control experience.
That’s great to hear!

Quick Reply: Horsepower?